View Poll Results: What is the ONE MAIN issue the Rams have in 2011?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Offensive Play Calling

0 0%
  • Defensive Play Calling

0 0%
  • Coaching (Spags)

13 24.53%
  • Drops

7 13.21%
  • Sam B

0 0%
  • Current WR Core

12 22.64%
  • Justin King

0 0%
  • O Line

14 26.42%
  • Rams aren't in LA

1 1.89%
  • I sprang my ankle getting off the Rams band wagon/ Became a Whiner fan

1 1.89%
  • Bring back Shurmur!

0 0%
  • Other

5 9.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: What do you think is our one Main Issue this season?

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

What do you think is our one Main Issue this season?

Thought I'd take a survey about what people around the Clan think is our #1 bottom line main issue.

Personally I think it is our offensive line not blocking worth a turd. Everything else could be livable if that was fixed, running, passing, even with the drops, Sam could go back to the dropped party and get that confidence back for both of em ONLY if he had freaking time to throw! We all know points win games and if your O line plays like a heinous Canadian Football league line your not going to be scoring to many points!
    Last edited by ZiaRam; -10-03-2011 at 01:56 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: What do you think is our one Main Issue this season?

Does "fundamentals" count as one issue? No? Then I would put it on the drops. It's bad enough when your quarterback is getting pressured all the time, but they won't bring the house so often if they legitimately fear giving up big plays when they do. How many times has a Rams receiver or tight end dropped a pass that could have been run in for a touchdown this year? How many points do you think we've given up when everything else was executed correctly and the guy whose most important job responsibility is to catch the ball dropped it?

Blocking has to be up there, too, though. Not only has this unit been possibly the worst in the league at keeping the quarterback clean, but the line has also contributed significantly to being one of the most penalized teams in the league as well with holding calls, face masks, and false starts. However, we still might not be giving up as many sacks if we weren't playing from behind every game.

It's a little crazy that we're also leading the league (the wrong way) in missed tackles and getting burned by unspectacular receivers...but the defense barely cracks the top three issues.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I honestly believe our biggest issue is our Head Coach's passive coaching style. There's no accountability and no consequence, other than losing. Every week its "Gee I don't know why we lost, I suppose we should all just try harder next time and believe in ourselves." Sure Vermeil was an emotional guy, but I've read he was a tough SOB with his players.

But we have tons of problems that are becoming more apparent every week.

The O-line's porous play could be blamed on the Rams inability to develop talent as a coaching staff, as made evident by all of the later round picks that have come and gone in recent years. Or perhaps the group just can't play and lacks the talent. Either way this is on Despags.

The defense got older, and worse. Leber and Poppinga aren't much of an upgrade over Diggs and Vobora. Fred Robbins and James Hall just aren't the players they used to be. There are some bright spots like Long, JL55, and Fletch, but overall this is a disappointing group. Letting OJ walk can no longer be justified.

Then there's that other problem. The same problem. The seemingly constant problem. The absolute lack of play-making ability at the receiver position. It's best just to some it up with a song these days.

Oh, and I'm so tired of hearing about how Brady did it without big names at WR. Brady is probably the greatest QB ever, everyone else had at least one badass #1 WR.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Oh, and I'm so tired of hearing about how Brady did it without big names at WR. Brady is probably the greatest QB ever, everyone else had at least one badass #1 WR.
    Fett the only reason why Brady is probably the greatest QB ever is because he went to THE University of Michigan!!! GO BLUE!!!!
    thoey likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    McNabb had a pretty good run with mediocre receivers, too. The difference is that those guys weren't that big or fast or strong, but they ran good routes and caught the ball.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

It starts with the drops made by our receiver corps, I wouldn't be willing to throw under tight coverage on a constant basis if my receivers made the dropsies also if I was in Bradford's situation and then he starts making decisions where he anticipates them trying to get absolutely open only to hold the ball for too long.

Solution: Stop dropping the damn ball so that these chain of events don't occur with offensive woes waiting to turn Bradford into David Carr 2.0.
    ZiaRam likes this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I put other because its all our front office not taking athleticism in the draft and free agency ....

Cam Newton has played 4 games and 3 of them have been better than any of Bradford's games....

ganas
    ZiaRam likes this.

sonnyjames is offline Registered User

People hate it as an excuse, but injuries have not helped one jot.

Bartell and Murphy massively upgrade a position we've been burned, week after week.

Clayton and Amendola massively upgrade a position where we're dropping passes and failing to make plays, week after week.

Jackson missed the first three weeks and would have had a significant impact on the attention and game planning of opposition defences.

Yes, I know it's a cliche, but we've had injuries in absolutely crucial positions. And having blown the roster up a couple of years ago, there's simply not got the depth to fill in that there is in most starting positions.

And yes, I know there are plenty of other reasons - all (well ok, some!) rightly on the list above. And those are ALL inexcusable.

Add them all together, as well as the injuries, no OTA, reduced training camp, a difficult off-season and a new, complex offense to adjust to (plus a new man making the protection calls at the line) and it all starts adding up.

The danger is we throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
    Ram Mar Ram and ZiaRam like this.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    McNabb had a pretty good run with mediocre receivers, too. The difference is that those guys weren't that big or fast or strong, but they ran good routes and caught the ball.
    What McNabb did with the receivers he had is criminally underrated. But even then, they didn't get to the big one until they had T.O.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Raised_fisT is offline Registered User

I voted coaching because crap rolls downhill. Spags COULD do things to at least stop the bleeding with many of the other options mentioned. (But doesn't/hasn't) I just don't like what he's saying about the losses and his whole approach to the game.

I think a good number of the players are on a totally different page than he is and there is no cohesion with the team. He isn't much of a leader-- and this team desperately needs one. SJax is the closest thing the team has to one as Sam is just in his 2nd year.

**On a related note-The 9ers did an interesting thing this past week. Rather than fly back home after their week 3 game and then fly back to Philly, they stayed back east all week and practiced on the road. Whether or not that was a team building move by Harbaugh and co. is anyone's guess. But a relatively young/new squad being out on the road together for an extended time certainly doesn't hurt to build camaraderie and unity. Anyone who has ever played on a team knows how important it is to success to have that type of bond amongst teammates.
    live4ramin and ZiaRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyjames View Post
    People hate it as an excuse, but injuries have not helped one jot.

Bartell and Murphy massively upgrade a position we've been burned, week after week.

Clayton and Amendola massively upgrade a position where we're dropping passes and failing to make plays, week after week.

Jackson missed the first three weeks and would have had a significant impact on the attention and game planning of opposition defences.

Yes, I know it's a cliche, but we've had injuries in absolutely crucial positions. And having blown the roster up a couple of years ago, there's simply not got the depth to fill in that there is in most starting positions.

And yes, I know there are plenty of other reasons - all (well ok, some!) rightly on the list above. And those are ALL inexcusable.

Add them all together, as well as the injuries, no OTA, reduced training camp, a difficult off-season and a new, complex offense to adjust to (plus a new man making the protection calls at the line) and it all starts adding up.

The danger is we throw the baby out with the bathwater here.
    Dam I should of put the injury option.... sorry but that is a HUGE one as well! I wonder how to edit those... hmmm
    But really think those are excuses they are valid points that we have had alot of key players go down for us...

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Dam I should of put the injury option.... sorry but that is a HUGE one as well! I wonder how to edit those... hmmm
    But really think those are excuses they are valid points that we have had alot of key players go down for us...
    Injury Sminjury lol

Yes losing jax for a few weeks definatly hurts, but we have back up that actually can fill in for him.

Losing Bartel and Murphy was the worst, King should be getting paid by our opponents rather then us. He definatly does not know what stepping up means, or covering for that matter.

To me yes, it does come down to the coaches, but seriously, you dont think theyve spent tons of time in practice having the wr's working on catching the ball? im sure they have a lot. the coaches cant make our wr's catch when it actually matters.

Yes the coaches and gm drafted theses guys/picked up in FA but lets take a look at salad at pettis..
    they were both sure handed wr's, catching every scrap thrown there way, its not there fault for drafting 2 wr's and a te that caught everything thrown at them in college, why would they not be able to catch in the nfl? thats on the wr's/ idk if there game shy, nervous, scared, etc. but they need to step it up.

then we have our FA's-Gibby, Skywalker, DX(UDFA), Clayton(i cant wait till hes back)

Gibby has shown some flashes but still not very consistent and disapears during the game, same goes for Skywalker.

DX-not sure how many plays hes actually in, yes he missed a nice throw yesterday and wasnt really much of a factor but still making good plays here and there.

Basically, our wr's are the worst in the league, i cant deny it anymore.its sad to say, but at best, we have a #2 wr in skywalker, gibby wouldnt be a #2, DX could be a #2 if there was a true #1 taking some heat of him.

just my thoughts.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    Injury Sminjury lol

Yes losing jax for a few weeks definatly hurts, but we have back up that actually can fill in for him.

Losing Bartel and Murphy was the worst, King should be getting paid by our opponents rather then us. He definatly does not know what stepping up means, or covering for that matter.

To me yes, it does come down to the coaches, but seriously, you dont think theyve spent tons of time in practice having the wr's working on catching the ball? im sure they have a lot. the coaches cant make our wr's catch when it actually matters.

Yes the coaches and gm drafted theses guys/picked up in FA but lets take a look at salad at pettis..
    they were both sure handed wr's, catching every scrap thrown there way, its not there fault for drafting 2 wr's and a te that caught everything thrown at them in college, why would they not be able to catch in the nfl? thats on the wr's/ idk if there game shy, nervous, scared, etc. but they need to step it up.

then we have our FA's-Gibby, Skywalker, DX(UDFA), Clayton(i cant wait till hes back)

Gibby has shown some flashes but still not very consistent and disapears during the game, same goes for Skywalker.

DX-not sure how many plays hes actually in, yes he missed a nice throw yesterday and wasnt really much of a factor but still making good plays here and there.

Basically, our wr's are the worst in the league, i cant deny it anymore.its sad to say, but at best, we have a #2 wr in skywalker, gibby wouldnt be a #2, DX could be a #2 if there was a true #1 taking some heat of him.

just my thoughts.
    Your assesments are realistic and accurate. We have potential with some of our guys they need to get their arses open tho! Sam can only do so much back there! He's not Mike Vick!! Dam the O Line! someone needs to go to Smith like Sandra Bulock does Oher in The Blindside and explain " Pretend that Sam is me your family, would you let anyone hurt me? No, then don't let anyone hurt him" maybe he'd get it then...
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ZiaRam View Post
    Your assesments are realistic and accurate. We have potential with some of our guys they need to get their arses open tho! Sam can only do so much back there! He's not Mike Vick!! Dam the O Line! someone needs to go to Smith like Sandra Bulock does Oher in The Blindside and explain " Pretend that Sam is me your family, would you let anyone hurt me? No, then don't let anyone hurt him" maybe he'd get it then...
    I love that movie and agree

still though, would there be so many threads and conversations about our wr's if they were catching the balls? and would would be 0-4? i dont think so.
    ZiaRam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa_Ram View Post
    I love that movie and agree

still though, would there be so many threads and conversations about our wr's if they were catching the balls? and would would be 0-4? i dont think so.
    ya no way we'd be 0-4 if we just invested in a huge freaking tube of stick em!!! If i was the WR coach all we would be working on is under hand throws with the FB until no one dropped any then work up from there... Outrageous these guys...
    Tampa_Ram likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast