general counsel is offline Registered User

What does it mean to say "Its only a business"

One of the ridiculous comments (and i am paraphrasing) circulating around the isaac bruce situation is the statement "Its only a business decision, it doesnt mean we dont care about him or appreciate his contribution to the team over the years"

The inference is that in business, decisions are made all the time without regard to how they impact human beings and their historical contribution to an organization. I find that rationale offensive and in my experience, flat out wrong.

Are there callous uncaring employers who think nothing of firing people who have given years to a company? Of course there are. But the majority of companies dont act that way. They appreciate that bad corporate behavior impacts the employees left behind and reputationally, makes it more difficult to attract quality people.

There are times where companies, like teams, have to make difficult decisions that are often unpopular. What i find outrageous is the comparison of isaac bruce to "every team who has a player that fans are emotionally attached to." While it is true that there are many popular players around sports, there are few that have done as much for an organization over as long a period of time as isaac bruce has done for the rams. 14 years guys. How many pro athletes can you name that have been on one team for 14 years and behaved as unselfishly and professionally on and off the field as bruce. Never a complaint, never a contract holdout, sacrificing contract wise for the good of the organization. Never one bad word, just hard work and discipline.

Bruce is NOT the general rule, he is a truly rare exception and i dont think that nearly enough credence is being given to that factor.

As an example, the rams paid faulk a roster bonus or two when they knew his best days were long behind him. Warner received a 6 million payment at one point when his future was highly suspect. I dont see either of those guys having been on the team for 14 years.

Disgraceful behavior out of chip rosenbloom. No way to set an example of how to treat your employees who have delivered untold value to you over the years.

This isnt ryan pickett we are talking about when someone is just making an obviously idiotic personnel decision to save a few dollars. This isnt a popular player who fans are attached to. This is an INSTITUTION and a bedrock of what being a Ram is all about. I agree by the way that if saunders had stood up and said he wanted him back, this would have been taken care of, but regardless of what saunders thought, Chip should have honored the contract.

if this was 10 million we were talking about and he wouldnt take a cut i would understand. In this case, he probably isnt worth 5 million but so what? He is worth 3 million or so? The loyalty and production is worth the difference, a mere 2 million out of a 118 million cap, a drop in the bucket that will NEVER matter in the long or short run. If this was a question of a new contract negotiation i would feel differently as well, but i still believe that people should honor their agreements, and while that is not part of the nfl culture, it sure should be when it comes to the incredibly rare case of an isaac bruce.

Ramming speed to all

general counsel

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: What does it mean to say "Its only a business"

From Hub's post Take the name out of it.

We're talking about paying $5 Mil for a 35-year-old who, last year, was.....

46th in catches
    45th in yards
    38th in yards / rec.
    51st-T in TDs

Who would pay $5 Mil for that production? That is average #2 receiver production for a pretty steep price tag.

In 2007, his rec. per game was the 2nd lowest number since his rookie year. His yards per game was the 2nd lowest number since his rookie year as well. His yards per catch was the lowest number since his rookie year.

Last year there were 17 different #2 receivers that outperformed Bruce, and 3 different #3 receivers that outperformed Bruce.

Guys, I love Ike as much as anybody, but we just can't pay premium cap money for an average #2 receiver, OR a top tier #3 receiver.

He is worth 3 million or so?
    I'm not sure he is...

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Yes, that's average #2 numbers... on a team that sucked like all get out. We could hardly get anything accomplished on offense and yet he was still an average #2 when he has 14 years of wear on his body. I agree with GC in that it's horrible that we cut him, in that he showed last year that he still has game. He's still good enough to be a start or at least a highly used #3.

Now, as for the money. I know why we cut him, $2million that was due. Is he worth $5million for this season, maybe not, but he's been the perfect example of the golden rule for years now and deserves to be paid in one fashion or another. Is there anything in the rules that prevents a player from being a coach as well? Seriously, sign him to the vet minimum and pay him to be a WR coach. Lord knows he'd be great at it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Distinction:

"Its a only a business." - this statement is false. Its much more than just a business. Fans act upon senimentality, tradition, and other non-business related motivators.

"Its a business." - this statement is true. No matter how much sentiment is involved, at the end of the day, dollars and cents impact decsions.

LaRamsFanLongTime is offline Registered User

Seriously, sign him to the vet minimum and pay him to be a WR coach. Lord knows he'd be great at it.
    We have a great wr coach named Henry ellard.

I too dont like the its only buisness crap either. This management dont know how to do buisness its obvious.
    LET'S GO DODGERS

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Teke
    Yes, that's average #2 numbers... on a team that sucked like all get out. We could hardly get anything accomplished on offense and yet he was still an average #2 when he has 14 years of wear on his body.
    Teke, only 8 teams put the ball in the air more than the Rams last year. His drop in numbers had nothing to do with a weak offense. The attempts were there.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

There is NOTHING wrong with saying dollars and sense IMPACT a decision. That is fine. But to say that they are the sole consideration in a decision, as many have done, is NOT how business thinks. Marketing decisions, as an example, are based on generating goodwill, not dollars and sense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

GC I would guess from what I have read the the Rams worked hard with Bruce's agent to get a deal wotked out. The Rams know what Bruce means to the Fans and the organization, it is a really tough call. I still have hope Bruce will be back, but if not we must move on. As far as business it's a long term move, we have to get younger at WR sooner then later. Curtis and McDonald could not get much playing time behind Bruce and Holt. If we draft a couple young guys when will they ever see the field?

as always, we never see the full picture.

On one hand we, as fans, are fed bile from the likes of Bernie the Dolt, and we end up drawing our own conclusions. I remember when Bruce was cut a few years ago it was the same tirade from the fans and it turned out they had to wait till March to resign him. Has anyone heard from Bruce? nope, I have not seen or read anything from him at this point so I am going to hold my breath and not start doing what comes naturally these days for Ram fans and rant on the Rams staff

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Teke, only 8 teams put the ball in the air more than the Rams last year. His drop in numbers had nothing to do with a weak offense. The attempts were there.
    How could his numbers NOT have anything to do with that offense last year. I don't buy that for a second. We had little to no time to throw deeper routes, it was all short stuff so of course his numbers won't look good. His skill level didn't drop THAT much, it was our lack of protection and poor playcalling to try and mask our lack of protection. Add to that Bulger playing with broken ribs and then Gus playing horrible and that accounts for most of it. There were plenty of wasted attempts to Bennett also.

Go back 2 years and his numbers were fine when we had time to throw to him and he ran deeper routes. He didn't lose that much skill in one year.

I agree with GC about the business part of it, there are exceptions so when it comes down to just 2 million more for someone like Bruce you pay the man.

If he re-signs with us great, but I wouldn't blame him one bit if he didn't. The Rams shouldn't have even asked him to restructure AGAIN. Let someone else step up to the plate restructure and create some cap room because the Rams have screwed it up.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

What does it mean to say "Its only a business"
    It means Mr. Ram will be a whiner, thats the business side, sad to say.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    There is NOTHING wrong with saying dollars and sense IMPACT a decision. That is fine. But to say that they are the sole consideration in a decision, as many have done, is NOT how business thinks. Marketing decisions, as an example, are based on generating goodwill, not dollars and sense.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I tend to agree that more has to go into these decisions than just coldly calculated business, but in this particular situation with Bruce, I think we have to acknowledge that the numbers are a more immediate concern than they normally are because we are sitting so close to the cap. The story seems to be that they made an offer, and he didn't like it. It's tough to say whether what they offered him was really fair, but it very well might be as much as we could afford to spend on him.

I mean if we consider this a zero sum game, what do we sacrifice to keep Bruce? Do we opt to tender Atogwe at a lower value in order to keep Bruce? Do we put off working on an extension for Jackson? Do we let Chillar go without signing a replacement?

Bruce is and always has been one of my favorite Rams. I'd like to see him retire a Ram, but sometimes it just doesn't work out the way you'd like.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

How could his numbers NOT have anything to do with that offense last year. I don't buy that for a second. We had little to no time to throw deeper routes, it was all short stuff so of course his numbers won't look good.
    Like I said, only 8 teams aired it out more than us. And he only got 55 of those attempts. If Bruce could separate like he used to, he would have gotten a bigger share.....but he can't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Like I said, only 8 teams aired it out more than us. And he only got 55 of those attempts. If Bruce could separate like he used to, he would have gotten a bigger share.....but he can't.
    So did he not get more attempts because he wasn't open or because he was open downfield while Bulger was running for his life and couldn't get it to him. I just don't think his skill level dropped that much from 2 years ago. I don't think you can just look at last year and conclude that Bruce has lost that big of a step.

We will see this year when he's with the Whiners I suppose.
    BRUUUUUUUUCE

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-29-2008, 07:17 PM