throwback week

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What does this stat tell us about Sam Bradford?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What does this stat tell us about Sam Bradford?

Sam Bradford has a career interception percentage of 2.3.

Here's how that compares to some of the other young QBs in the NFL:

1. Sam Bradford 2.3
    2. Matthew Stafford 3.0
    2. Andy Dalton 3.0
    4. Joe Flacco 3.3
    5. Cam Newton 3.4
    6. Mark Sanchez 3.5
    7. Christian Ponder 3.6

My question is... is this stat an "absolute positive"?

While I do think that this statistic reflects Sam's accuracy and ball security (both important attributes for a QB), I also would suggest that it also shows a reining in of the Rams' passing game over the last three years. Whether this is Sam's doing, the result of weak supporting cast, the offensive schemes, or a combination of all three, is certainly subject to debate.

My guess is that, as Sam finally gets some continuity in an offense, some better O lineman, and better receivers, he may produce better numbers accross the board except in this category. If he's throwing 30+ TDs per season, I think we can all live with that.

If you don't agree, consider this... Kurt Warner had a 3.1 interception percentage for his career.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -10-31-2012 at 03:39 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: What does this stat tell us about Sam Bradford?

In his rookie year it was impressive because he threw the ball a lot for a rookie to the tune of 590 attempts. He completed 326 of them but most where underneath.

To answer your question IMO I would say no it's not an "absolute positive".

Now that we have Givens and Quick his interception percentage should go up as Bradford takes more shots down field like last week. He hit Givens on a 50 yard TD and came up short on the INT trying to hit Quick. His avg pass is up to 7.22 from 5.95 his rookie year. Aaron Rogers by the way this year is 7.29.

I have not heard the phrase in weeks, before Bradford helped Givens set the rookie record for 5 games in a row of 50 plus yard pass receptions. The dreaded "game manager" title was starting to be used on Bradford. And that is where a very low risk, high percentage pass attack is not good when you want to develop an elite franchise QB.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

This a a difficult question to quantify. Sam has never had a go to guy his entire career. The defense has never been a strong point of the team either. So it's no surprise to me that Sam is in game manager mode a lot of the time. I believe it has to be a positive over a negative. Even though in the past, a big part of me has wanted Bradford to take a few more chances with the football. In reality, the lack of separation these jokers are getting. It's down right amazing Sam hasn't thrown more interceptions.!
    Last edited by GROUND DOG 39; -10-31-2012 at 06:04 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    The dreaded "game manager" title was starting to be used on Bradford.
    It's funny you should mention this, because I think you could make a really strong case for Bradford as a "game manager." But perhaps not the definition most associate with the title.

When we as fans think of a "game manager," our minds probably immediately go to a quarterback who doesn't have a lot of talent but is just coached not to make many mistakes. I imagine the coach's approach to that type of game manager is, "Do what you're supposed to do, don't do anything too risky, take what the defense gives you, because you're not good enough to do much more than that."

But in Sam's case, he's a game manager of a different color, because he's on a team that doesn't have a lot of talent, and (IMO) because of that, it restricts what he's capable of. He's a game manager in the sense that he's responsible for managing a really crappy situation. "Do what you're supposed to do, don't do anything too risky, take what the defense gives you, because the talent around you is not good enough to do much more than that."

I dunno if that makes sense, but I read your response and it made me just kind of think about how, in Sam's case, you could apply the title so long as the context is reversed from how we traditionally think about it. Rather than the QB being a game manager because of his own shortcomings, Sam could be called a game manager in the sense that he's dealing with the shortcomings of those around him - questionable offensive line play, lack of consistent weapons in the passing game, questionable run game, etc.

I think when it comes to the interception percentage stat, it makes sense to point out that Sam has played under two coaches with defensive backgrounds who prefer a more ball control style of play. Fisher is incorporating more intermediate and deep plays into the passing game than Shurmur did under Spagnuolo, but I think from a broader philosophical standpoint, we're still talking about a coach who would rather play strong defense and ball control offense than, say, a wide open Patriots or Packers type of offensive style.

I think Sam has been preached to so often in his three year career about protecting the ball, that he simply doesn't take many risks in terms of pass attempts. That leads to a low interception percentage, which is great, but I think it can also to some degree handcuff the passing game. With better weapons, and Givens is certainly helping to open things up so that's a start, then I think we'll see Sam allowed off the leash a little bit more, which might mean this number goes up a bit but it will also, as Av said, lead to some bigger numbers in other categories.

But until the talent around him improves to the point where those risks are justifiable due to the offense's talent and ability to make up for missed opportunities on later drives, then I think Sam will probably continue being protective of the football.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Post 16,768 from Nick one of your best sir!
    Nick likes this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    But until the talent around him improves to the point where those risks are justifiable due to the offense's talent and ability to make up for missed opportunities on later drives, then I think Sam will probably continue being protective of the football.
    I do agree with this however a question about Bradford comes to mind.

Is Sam Bradford talented enough to make those around him better?

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I do agree with this however a question about Bradford comes to mind.

Is Sam Bradford talented enough to make those around him better?
    I think he can make the receivers around him better. However, I don't think any QB (with the possible exception of those who are great runners) can make the O linemen around them better.

svh01 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I think he can make the receivers around him better. However, I don't think any QB (with the possible exception of those who are great runners) can make the O linemen around them better.
    A QB that can make quick reads and slide in the pocket can make his O-line look better. As for the stat mentioned here to me it's a pointless stat. To me TD to INT is the important stat. 2.3 Ints isn't so hot if you average 2.3 TD's or less.

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    A QB that can make quick reads and slide in the pocket can make his O-line look better.
    Only to a degree. Tom Brady is great at both of those things, but he lost his last two Super Bowls because his O line could not keep the Giants' front 4 from consistently pressuring him.

As for the stat mentioned here to me it's a pointless stat. To me TD to INT is the important stat. 2.3 Ints isn't so hot if you average 2.3 TD's or less.
    You're overstating your position. Its clearly not a pointless stat. If a QB has an interception percentage of 5.0 (which is one in every 20 attempts), that clearly is not going to cut it, even if the same QB manages to throw a lot of TDs as well.

That said, I don't think anyone would contest that Sam's career TD percentage (2.7) needs to improve. For what its worth, Sam's average this year is 3.2, which is a big improvement from last year (1.7).

Only to a degree. Tom Brady is great at both of those things, but he lost his last two Super Bowls because his O line could not keep the Giants' front 4 from consistently pressuring him.

But he got to the Super Bowl both times and actually almost won both of them. I think Sam is getting better at these things.

You're overstating your position. Its clearly not a pointless stat. If a QB has an interception percentage of 5.0 (which is one in every 20 attempts), that clearly is not going to cut it, even if the same QB manages to throw a lot of TDs as well.

That said, I don't think anyone would contest that Sam's career TD percentage (2.7) needs to improve. For what its worth, Sam's average this year is 3.2, which is a big improvement from last year (1.7).
    Agreed. Maybe slightly overstated. TD to Int is a more telling stat.

Quote Originally Posted by svh01 View Post
    Agreed. Maybe slightly overstated. TD to Int is a more telling stat.
    Perhaps, but the purpose of this thread was to isolate a specific statistic and discuss its significance.

The general consensus seems to be that Sam's interception % may actually increase slightly as he becomes more productive overall, which is an interesting paradox.

mh-i is offline Registered User

The only stat that really matters is that the Rams are the 29th ranked offense in the NFL. I don't care whether Sam does or doesn't throw picks. I care whether he can lead the team into the end zone.

Perhaps, but the purpose of this thread was to isolate a specific statistic and discuss its significance.

The general consensus seems to be that Sam's interception % may actually increase slightly as he becomes more productive overall, which is an interesting paradox.
    Maybe he would take more chances. Higher risk, higher reward. Sam is smart so I don't think we would see a huge increase in that stat.

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    The only stat that really matters is that the Rams are the 29th ranked offense in the NFL. I don't care whether Sam does or doesn't throw picks. I care whether he can lead the team into the end zone.
    Why stop there.

One QB will win the Super Bowl this year. The rest are complete failures.

Seriously... if you don't understand the point of the thread, don't respond.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Which is just fine with me. Touchdown passes are points for us. Interceptions don't always result in points against us. Sure they're drive killers but so are punts.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast