Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: What does this stat tell us about Sam Bradford?

mh-i is offline Registered User

Re: What does this stat tell us about Sam Bradford?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Why stop there.

One QB will win the Super Bowl this year. The rest are complete failures.

Seriously... if you don't understand the point of the thread, don't respond.
    Again, I understand. And again, in my opinion in the end it doesn't matter how many picks a QB throws. If a QB has 3rd and 10 and throws the ball 4 yards down the field what does that gain? It gains a 29th ranked offense with a low turn over rate. It's still 29th ranked.
    PARamfan likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Again, I understand. And again, in my opinion in the end it doesn't matter how many picks a QB throws. If a QB has 3rd and 10 and throws the ball 4 yards down the field what does that gain? It gains a 29th ranked offense with a low turn over rate. It's still 29th ranked.
    Um... yeah.

3rd and 4 at your own 26 yard line.

QB1 throws an interception, giving the other team the ball at your 35.

QB2 throws a 4 yard pass, resulting a punt that puts the other team at their own 30.

No difference.

mh-i is offline Registered User

Doesn't matter either way if you can only produce 1 TD a game.
    PARamfan likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I think he can make the receivers around him better. However, I don't think any QB (with the possible exception of those who are great runners) can make the O linemen around them better.
    I heard that the Colts line this year is pretty much in shambles?? I admit to not watchinh Luck this much but the Colts are 4-3.

I think a smart pocket present QB can make plays ergo making his line look better. Step up in pocket, use feet to avoid an onrushing defensive player, run when you need to to keep defense honest etc....

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    I heard that the Colts line this year is pretty much in shambles?? I admit to not watchinh Luck this much but the Colts are 4-3.
    Luck's passer rating is currently 74.6.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I do agree with this however a question about Bradford comes to mind.

Is Sam Bradford talented enough to make those around him better?
    From I've seen, the answer is an unequivocal yes. Nick's comments regarding Sam's game management skills I believe to be spot on. With the talent we don't have on offense right now, we really need a good "game manager" and IMO Sam has done very well in that regard. An area he needs to improve on is fine tuning his inner clock, as in knowing when to get rid of the ball as instead of hanging on to it too long. There's much to be said for throwing it away as opposed to a sack for a loss.

I think he can make the receivers around him better. However, I don't think any QB (with the possible exception of those who are great runners) can make the O linemen around them better.
    Agreed that the fast, elusive QBs can help out their O linemen. That said, there's another way a QB can help out his O line without having elite scrambling skills. The quicker a QB can correctly go through his reads and get rid of the ball, the better his O line will look. To be fair, this is a skill acquired through experience. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady come to mind, Drew Brees isn't too shabby either. I fully expect Sam Bradford to be a great quarterback for the Rams in this league. He's got the smarts, competitive fire, big arm and accuracy - he just needs some more seasoning. I'd say he got a fair amount at Wembley. He'll be back! He's going to be one of the really great ones when all is said and done.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I think we should have this debate after 4 more games

Bradford's interception rate is low...But his TD rate is also low...Bradford has turned the ball over more times than he has turned in points every year

2010 18TD 15INT 6FUMBL
    2011 6TD 6INT 6FUMBL
    2012 8TD 7INT 2FUMBL

But here is the thing u can talk about the talent around all you want and his continuity with his weapons (or lack of)....But the next 4 games will be so telling The oline looks solid and we are returning 2 starters and we are getting our best receiver back

also do you guys notice how Bradford is still improving? Last year Bradford kept missing on deep throws to Lloyd...This year it was either the Detriot or Chicago game where Givens was wide open and Bradford underthrew him and allowed the safety to recover and make a play on the ball...Lately Bradford has not been missing that throw and just imagine amendola's production if the safeties have to respect givens game breaking ability

Bradford INT rate is a positive now lets see him get TD

Something else to consider 2010 5.97 yards per att...now its 7.22 the guy is still improving

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    I think we should have this debate after 4 more games

Bradford's interception rate is low...But his TD rate is also low...Bradford has turned the ball over more times than he has turned in points every year

2010 18TD 15INT 6FUMBL
    2011 6TD 6INT 6FUMBL
    2012 8TD 7INT 2FUMBL

But here is the thing u can talk about the talent around all you want and his continuity with his weapons (or lack of)....But the next 4 games will be so telling The oline looks solid and we are returning 2 starters and we are getting our best receiver back

also do you guys notice how Bradford is still improving? Last year Bradford kept missing on deep throws to Lloyd...This year it was either the Detriot or Chicago game where Givens was wide open and Bradford underthrew him and allowed the safety to recover and make a play on the ball...Lately Bradford has not been missing that throw and just imagine amendola's production if the safeties have to respect givens game breaking ability

Bradford INT rate is a positive now lets see him get TD

Something else to consider 2010 5.97 yards per att...now its 7.22 the guy is still improving
    NLF.COM Has Sam with three fumbles this year but has not lost one. In fact he has only 9 lost fumbles in his career to date. Last year he had 7 when he was hurt and could not get out of the way of the rushers.

Sam Bradford, QB for the St. Louis Rams at NFL.com

macrammer is offline Registered User

Luck's passer rating is currently 74.6.

Colts 5-3 after going 2-14 last year......Luck does look like he has the tools to be Elite in the NFL.......Time will tell for him as well as Bradford, Newton and RG !!!

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's funny you should mention this, because I think you could make a really strong case for Bradford as a "game manager." But perhaps not the definition most associate with the title.

When we as fans think of a "game manager," our minds probably immediately go to a quarterback who doesn't have a lot of talent but is just coached not to make many mistakes. I imagine the coach's approach to that type of game manager is, "Do what you're supposed to do, don't do anything too risky, take what the defense gives you, because you're not good enough to do much more than that."

But in Sam's case, he's a game manager of a different color, because he's on a team that doesn't have a lot of talent, and (IMO) because of that, it restricts what he's capable of. He's a game manager in the sense that he's responsible for managing a really crappy situation. "Do what you're supposed to do, don't do anything too risky, take what the defense gives you, because the talent around you is not good enough to do much more than that."

I dunno if that makes sense, but I read your response and it made me just kind of think about how, in Sam's case, you could apply the title so long as the context is reversed from how we traditionally think about it. Rather than the QB being a game manager because of his own shortcomings, Sam could be called a game manager in the sense that he's dealing with the shortcomings of those around him - questionable offensive line play, lack of consistent weapons in the passing game, questionable run game, etc.

I think when it comes to the interception percentage stat, it makes sense to point out that Sam has played under two coaches with defensive backgrounds who prefer a more ball control style of play. Fisher is incorporating more intermediate and deep plays into the passing game than Shurmur did under Spagnuolo, but I think from a broader philosophical standpoint, we're still talking about a coach who would rather play strong defense and ball control offense than, say, a wide open Patriots or Packers type of offensive style.

I think Sam has been preached to so often in his three year career about protecting the ball, that he simply doesn't take many risks in terms of pass attempts. That leads to a low interception percentage, which is great, but I think it can also to some degree handcuff the passing game. With better weapons, and Givens is certainly helping to open things up so that's a start, then I think we'll see Sam allowed off the leash a little bit more, which might mean this number goes up a bit but it will also, as Av said, lead to some bigger numbers in other categories.

But until the talent around him improves to the point where those risks are justifiable due to the offense's talent and ability to make up for missed opportunities on later drives, then I think Sam will probably continue being protective of the football.
    This is a good assessment, its a closer look at "game manager".

He's a game managing QB, but one who most likely has the ability to do great things if he had better supporting talent, he isn't limited by skill set...which is the normal definition of a game manager.

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Colts 5-3 after going 2-14 last year......Luck does look like he has the tools to be Elite in the NFL.......
    Yes, and Sam took the Rams from 1-15 to 7-9 as a rookie.

As for Luck, one play today is very relevant to this thread. Luck threw a TD pass to T.Y. Hilton today that was, no pun intended, lucky. He threw to a well covered WR in double coverage and his guy came down with the ball. The pass should have been intercepted.

Sam probably would not have thrown that pass.

JPPT1974 is offline Registered User

It is more about leading in the endzone. And trying to win games. As well as not depend on the QB all the time, everytime!
    Happy Labor Day!

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

I think many people are reading waaaaayyyyy too much into this quarterback thing- a fantasy football mindset, if you will. Statistics can mean what you want them to mean. Passing yardage is vastly overrated and misleading. Ditto for percentage completion. If a guy is 15-16 but throws for 70 yards is he really helping you? If a guy throws for 4 TDs but gets picked 3 times, is it a good performance or a bad one? It's all subjective and can be manipulated to back yur opinion or refute the other guy's opinion. You can take all the numbers in the world and use them to back your point but in the end, it comes down to some basic questions about a QB: "Is he performing well in the 4th quarter? Is he avoiding the critical mistake? Is he making the most out of what he has to work with? Is he WINNING?

Not that anyone has done it here, but those who would attempt to downplay Andrew Luck and what he's done thus far simply doesn't know football. He is AN OUTSTANDING player who comes as advertised and has a great chance to be considered as one of the game's great players if he stays healthy and continues to get better. He has Reggie Wayne but little else. Look what he's done for Donnie Avery- the same guy people here felt was a wasted pick. He's on a team that was the worst in football last year. He has no head coach. Yet he's led his team admirably and has Colts fans thinking playoffs. Unbelievable- and a tribute him. He has and will make mistakes, but he is exhibit "A" on how to run an offense.

My posts show I've primarily been a Bradford supporter and continue to be. I recognize the limitations he has with his surrounding cast. He must be given time to gel with what is hopefully the same O-Coordinator and Head Coach for the forseeable future. But sooner or later he will be judged on the bottom line and that is WINNING. People don't want excuses or to hear about reasons why you CAN'T be successful, they want you to get the job done by any means necessary. Fair or unfair, that's life- in professional sports and elsewhere.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -11-05-2012 at 09:04 AM.
    laram0 likes this.

TheBritishRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think many people are reading waaaaayyyyy too much into this quarterback thing- a fantasy football mindset, if you will. Statistics can mean what you want them to mean. Passing yardage is vastly overrated and misleading. Ditto for percentage completion. If a guy is 15-16 but throws for 70 yards is he really helping you? If a guy throws for 4 TDs but gets picked 3 times, is it a good performance or a bad one? It's all subjective and can be manipulated to back yur opinion or refute the other guy's opinion. You can take all the numbers in the world and use them to back your point but in the end, it comes down to some basic questions about a QB: "Is he performing well in the 4th quarter? Is he avoiding the critical mistake? Is he making the most out of what he has to work with? Is he WINNING?

Not that anyone has done it here, but those who would attempt to downplay Andrew Luck and what he's done thus far simply doesn't know football. He is AN OUTSTANDING player who comes as advertised and has a great chance to be considered as one of the game's great players if he stays healthy and continues to get better. He has Reggie Wayne but little else. Look what he's done for Donnie Avery- the same guy people here felt was a wasted pick. He's on a team that was the worst in football last year. He has no head coach. Yet he's led his team admirably and has Colts fans thinking playoffs. Unbelievable- and a tribute him. He has and will make mistakes, but he is exhibit "A" on how to run an offense.

My posts show I've primarily been a Bradford supporter and continue to be. I recognize the limitations he has with his surrounding cast. He must be given time to gel with what is hopefully the same O-Coordinator and Head Coach for the forseeable future. But sooner or later he will be judged on the bottom line and that is WINNING. People don't want excuses or to hear about reasons why you CAN'T be successful, they want you to get the job done by any means necessary. Fair or unfair, that's life- in professional sports and elsewhere.
    Whilst I agree with pretty much everything you say it's worth noting that Colts have a very soft schedule this year: Take out the Bears, Patriots, Packers and Texans (x2) you're left with:
    Vikings, Jags (x2), Jets, Browns, Titans (x2), Dolphins, Bills, Lions and Chiefs.
    If I could hand pick a schedule for a rookie QB it would look a lot like this short of throwing the Cardinals in there somewhere. Also Reggie Wayne would be the best WR on our roster by a mile. Having said that Luck does look like the real deal.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Yes, and Sam took the Rams from 1-15 to 7-9 as a rookie.

As for Luck, one play today is very relevant to this thread. Luck threw a TD pass to T.Y. Hilton today that was, no pun intended, lucky. He threw to a well covered WR in double coverage and his guy came down with the ball. The pass should have been intercepted.

Sam probably would not have thrown that pass.
    I agree it was not a ball that Sam throws and that needs to change IMO. We need receivers that can make Sam take some chances and believe if he puts a ball in the area our receiver will win the battle for the ball and make a play.

If you go back to Bruce making the adjustment on the under thrown ball in the SB, Bruce made the play on the ball.

So far when Sam forces or tries to just get the ball in the area young Quick has lost every battle for the ball, that will change I hope in the future.

Sam Bradford has targeted Quick, they’ve connected on only 5 of 15 passes, with three interceptions.
    These numbers are beyond bad, when Sam forces passes trying to give the receiver a chance to win the battle. Quick has done a poor job of winning the battle and even breaking up the pass.

I know it may look like luck but these receivers are beyond talented. How about the catch that Danny Amendola made in the AZ Cards game, on a poorly thrown ball. You have to have playmalkers, not all passes are going to be perfect, but as long as the results are positive that's all that matters.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-05-2012 at 11:46 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast