View Poll Results: What draft strategy would you favor?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stay in Top 5 - Take Best Player Available

4 10.81%
  • Stay in Top 5 - Take Best Available OL

2 5.41%
  • Stay in Top 5 - Take Best Available DE

10 27.03%
  • Trade down for more picks

18 48.65%
  • Select Darren McFadden; Trade Steven Jackson

1 2.70%
  • Other (describe below)

2 5.41%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: What Draft Strategy Do You Currently Favor?

I'm an advocate of the "best player at a position of need" strategy. I wouldn't go straight up BPA because we don't want to get saddled with a big salary on a guy who is warming the bench. So I'd aim for the best player available at defensive end, offensive tackle, safety, wide receiver, or maybe even linebacker.

Yeah, I know we don't spend high first round money on safeties, but you asked me what I'd do, right? Hypothetically, if the top safety prospect was more of an impact player than the top defensive end or the top offensive tackle, I'd take him.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    I'm an advocate of the "best player at a position of need" strategy. I wouldn't go straight up BPA because we don't want to get saddled with a big salary on a guy who is warming the bench. So I'd aim for the best player available at defensive end, offensive tackle, safety, wide receiver, or maybe even linebacker.
    What about CB?

As case could be made that Malcolm Jenkins is the best defensive player in this draft if he comes out, which he surely will.

moloch41 Guest

Has anyone released a list of who the best OTs in this draft are going to be? I know it wouldn't include underclassmen who haven't declared yet, but I'm just curious.

theodus69 Guest

Let's see here... crappy secondary, no depth at the OL' need a new QB or one good quality back-up to take over for good for Bulger. Yea , I'm sayin trade down and get some picks. Especially if we get First overall!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    What about CB?

As case could be made that Malcolm Jenkins is the best defensive player in this draft if he comes out, which he surely will.
    We have 4 corners I'd keep right now, so unless we get some amazing trade value for one, or if we move Bartell back to safety, and even if we do, there's no reason to spend a pick on a CB. unless... can he play WR?

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Has anyone released a list of who the best OTs in this draft are going to be? I know it wouldn't include underclassmen who haven't declared yet, but I'm just curious.
    Look at Scott Wright's website for the skinny. nfldraftcountdown.com. we actually had the pleasure of having him swing by here last offseason for a chat.

In terms of the best OL prospects, you'd be looking at Long, who you've mentioned, and USC's Sam Baker, who is a big part of that offense. Bit of a roacd grader.

Now, as to J. Long, I will say this: There is a reason why Mike Hart is a legitimate Heisman candidate. That reason is Jake Long.

Also, there was a list printed previously about FA O-linemen, but no guards were listed. The most notable is Pittsburgh's Alan Faneca, who plays on the left side.

My First round startegy? Depends on where we end up, and how Cleveland and maybe Atlanta finish.

At this stage trading for 2 first round picks via Dallas may not be great value, seeing as they're probably the NFC favorite to represent in the superbowl. We may be able to get some value out of Atlanta, who have 3 round 2 picks if we were going to move down, if only so slightly. Depends on who they'd want. My bet is that they'd jump at the chance to land Jake Long, Brian Brohm or Darren McFadden.

My choice atm also depends on our FA dealings, but I can say it would probably be a safer bet to add a DE than an OT in Long, which is why Calais Campbell is my current favourite, if he declares. In order of Preference, I'd have him, the Long, then Kenny Phillips, then Chris Long.

If we can fill some needs in FA, and move down into the bottom half of the top ten, Phillips might be a viable option. I think Corey Chavous needs to be replaced.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Just out of curiousity, will the owner of the lone McFaddden vote please raise your hand?

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PossumBoy9 View Post
    What about CB?

Maybe. We've got a lot of young ones on the team right now (Wade, Hill, and Bartell drafted in the last three years). I'd kind of like to see how they pan out.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    It scares me when a team (especially mine!) targets one position and takes the best player at said position. That is how busts occur.
    You're certainly right.

The Rams certainly scare me in this regard, as they have a history of this.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    We have 4 corners I'd keep right now, so unless we get some amazing trade value for one, or if we move Bartell back to safety, and even if we do, there's no reason to spend a pick on a CB. unless... can he play WR?
    If a CB is the best player available, that should be the pick.

Fahkir Brown could be suspended at any time.

You certainly don't pass on the the top CB because of Bartell or Wade.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    In terms of the best OL prospects, you'd be looking at Long, who you've mentioned, and USC's Sam Baker, who is a big part of that offense. Bit of a roacd grader.
    If he comes out, Mississippi's Michael Oher might be my #1 OT.

PossumBoy9 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Just out of curiousity, will the owner of the lone McFaddden vote please raise your hand?
    That'd be me.

I must say though, that I believe my vote was technically for taking the best player, while trading Jackson. Run DMC is my current #1 prospect.

Who voted for the bust path....Taking the best DE or OL?

Seriously, taking the best player or trading down are the only ways to go.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How about we draft a TE? It is Linehan after all.

moloch41 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    How about we draft a TE? It is Linehan after all.
    Yes, tying up more money and draft picks in a position we don't use certainly seems like the way to go. Are you currenlty employed on Linehan's staff, btw?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Naw, it's just something called sarcasm that I tend to use on a regular basis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast