Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By general counsel
  • 1 Post By chucknbob

Thread: What the draft told me about the Rams

chucknbob is offline Registered User

What the draft told me about the Rams

These are a few things that I was thinking throughout days 2 and 3. Please share your thoughts as well.

1. Sam Bradford is our QB. It's obvious that by passing on every big name QB and waiting until round 6 for Gilbert Fisher doesn't want a controversy.

2. The Rams can put up one heck of a smoke screen (see 1).

3. You can never have enough pass rushers.

4. We need to stop the other teams pass rushers. Also, based on the Robinson pick, we want to run the football.... a lot.

5. Fisher/Snead agree that we need help in the secondary, spending 4 picks on the safety and CB position, on top of the Greg Reid signing.

6. We're not afraid of the media. I truly believe the Michael Sam pick was due to his football play, not his sexual orientation. That being said, they knew that they would be bombarded by the media the second that pick was handed in.

7. For better or worse, they trust our receivers, completely ignoring them in the draft.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: What the draft told me about the Rams

I would not go so far as to say that Fisher doesn't think the passing game is important, but I WILL say he is emphasizing the run a helluva lot more than the vast majority of NFL teams are doing right now. And ultimately, his fate (and that of Les Snead) will be determined by whether or not this approach is successful and whether or not his faith in the current crop of wide receivers on the roster is justified.

Fisher and Snead were true to their word about Sam Bradford being "our guy" moving forward, to no one's surprise. Just shows you how unbelievably ridiculous the Johnny Manziel talk was.

I have opinions on homosexuality like everyone else, but the bottom line is whether or not Michael Sam can play football and help us. Most 7th rounders do not make their teams, and with the abundance of quality linemen we have on this roster, all of the hulabaloo over this pick probably won't amount to anything. He's an extreme longshot to make it. If he does, God bless him.

Mikey is online now Registered User

Fisher saw how a good run game gave Clemens a decent chance to get us some wins. We've all speculated "what if" Sam was back there in some of those games when Zac and company were running great. Well this year we'll be able to see that what if, I hope we will because Sam is going to stay healthy this year! Fisher saw what Sam was capable of passing before he got hurt. Now he wants to see what the Rams are capable of with the run game we had the last half of the season and Sam leading the passing game along side that run game. I can't wait for opening day.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by chucknbob View Post
    7. For better or worse, they trust our receivers, completely ignoring them in the draft.
    Did they ignore them? I think they just picked the best player with the best value at a given draft order. It would have been VERY hard to pass up on Donald at #13, with three of the best WR's already off the board. Even after trading up to #41, there were already six WR's off the board. They must have felt the talent that remained were questionable as to whether they were any better than what they already have at that point. It seems every year the Rams always have bigger needs or have better choices when it comes time to picking a #1 franchise WR.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I think Mikey has a point. It's not that coach is ignoring the passing game, as much that he has a run first philosophy and a successful running game is the best way to improve your passing game. Said another way, one receiver is less impactful to the offense than the ability to block both in the run game and the passing game.

I find it amazing when the so called experts rant and rave about how much the rams needed receiver help all offseason when we have an older left tackle coming off knee surgery, a free agent guard, a 30 plus year old center who was injured last year and a well below average guard on the other side. You want sammy to be effective, give him time to throw and manage the down and distance. Third and 4 is a lot easier to deal with than 3rd and 9.

When you run well you wear down defenses physically. You force teams to bring a safety down into the box. And most importantly, you make play action effective.

Why do all the commentators that loved the brian quick pick two years ago forget about him now? It was universally known that quick would take time to develop. Sammys injury last year hurt quick also because there were less passing options available with clemens running the offense. FIsher is in the best position to know what upside there is on quick. This is obviously a big year for quick, the team can't wait forever, but maybe fisher didnt see receivers available when he was picking that he thought could help the team now more than the guys he has, compared to the other players available in those spots.

FIsher is trying to win now, not two years from now. Receivers often take time to develop. The bottom line is that if we cant run the ball and protect sammy, we arent going to win, and a receiver isnt going to impact either of those things.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Ramming speed to all

general counsel
    live4ramin likes this.

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Maybe ignore wasn't the best word, I was trying to point out that Fish said before the draft that he thought we were set at WR and he meant it. I said ignore because I don't think anyone would had said Watkins was a stretch at 2. We could have taken a "project" in the late rounds but we didn't.
    RealRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Our draft told me that we're trying to buff up the trenches on both sides of the ball while revamping our secondary with some viable depth. I'm fine with Fisher not drafting a WR, what need to improve our passing game is EXPERIENCE. Unless your name is Randy Moss or AJ Green, you aren't going to make a major impact year 1 and I'm glad Fisher knows that.

As for our offensive identity, general perception says we'll be run-first team but I concur, we'll be more of a balanced offense that schemes around our opponent's weaknesses. Let's say we face the Whiners, we'll be putting more emphasis on the passing game but also get the running game going and vice versa against the Seahawks. Either way, I look forward to starting the season.

♪ R.I.P. Nujabes ♫
    Your beat still laments the world