HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

What exactly is a "bust" anyway?

This seems to be a term that is as available yet undefined as "nutrition supplements". So how about we come to some kind of definition for "bust". There will be the Pam Anderson jokes and HOF statues, ha ha, but how do you define what makes a player a "bust"?

IMHO, a player can not be considered a bust until the majority of their career with their current team is finished. Maybe I'm too patient, but it seems that any determination before then would not give a clear picture of a player's worth. For example, with 28 interceptions in his first year, some would have called Manning a bust. I'd be hard-pressed to find anyone saying that now. After his first three seasons, #1 pick Drew Bledsoe had 5 more picks than TDs, another bust. Dante Culpepper never saw the field his rookie year, certain bust. Tiki Barber, Mushin Muhammad, Joe Horn, Trent Green, Bertrand Berry, Leonard Little, Warren Sapp, the list goes on and on of top-tier players that would have been considered busts IF their careers stopped after the first 2 or 3 years.

My point is this: some of the players that we like to call "busts" such as our 3 first round DTs or even guys who haven't seen the field like Barron, have not earned the label simply because we don't know what the rest of their time with us holds. If they were to walk away today, never to return, then yea, I could see them being called busts, but we don't know what they are going to do from here on out, so why not have a little patience.

But back to the original question....what is your definition of "bust"?

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: What exactly is a "bust" anyway?

The definition depends on a lot of things.

Position: Certainly, it typically takes longer for players to become successful in certain positions as opposed to others. A RB who has not broken in during his first three years is generally a bust. A QB may not have success until he has been in the league 5 or more years.

Draft Position: The higher the pick, the greater the expectations. A fifth round pick who becomes a decent starter may be called a "steal." A first rounder who becomes only a decent starter may be called a "bust."

Health: I hate it when people call players who never made it because they got hurt a "bust." Was Ki-Jana Carter a bust? Was Steve Entman a "bust"? Was Yatil Green? I don't think so.

To me, a player is a bust if he fails to justify his draft position, and does not progress to the expected level of contribution in a reasonable time, despite generally remaining healthy.

In recent Ram drafts, that would mean:

Trung Canidate - bust
    Jacoby Sheppard - bust
    Damione Lewis - not a bust (health), but could become one
    Ryan Pickett - not a bust
    Adam Archuleta - not a bust
    Robert Thomas - not a bust, but close
    Jimmy Kennedy - not a bust

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

There will be the Pam Anderson jokes
    LOL

OK, That was the first thing that poped into my demented mind.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Very perplexing question HUb. I think you're absolutely correct that you can't definitively label someone a bust until their career is pretty much over. Even then, it's not necessarily a given.

Take Jim Plunkett. Heisman winner, number one draft pick, highly touted. Has 5 medioce years with New England, 2 bad years with the whiners, a couple of uneventful years with the Faiders, then becomes a legend after leading them to 2 Super Bowl victories, collecting a SB MVP along the way.

As far as an answer to your question? As close as I can come is Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer or Heath Shuler. Take your pick.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

As far as an answer to your question? As close as I can come is Ryan Leaf, Rick Mirer or Heath Shuler. Take your pick.
    How about Todd Moronavich.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Umm... You mispelled his nam...

Oh, I get it...

LOL
    This space for rent...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Yea, poor Todd. Liked to surf and smoke dope more than play football.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    Yea, poor Todd. Liked to surf and smoke dope more than play football.
    Didn't the Raiders have a great LB who did that too? Long time ago. Didn't he eventually leave football so he could party and live his life his way.... forgot his name.

RamTime Guest

LOL

OK, That was the first thing that poped into my demented mind.
    Hey she is no joke!

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by coy bacon
    Didn't the Raiders have a great LB who did that too? Long time ago. Didn't he eventually leave football so he could party and live his life his way.... forgot his name.
    Hey Coy, the player you are thinking about may have been Chip Oliver. He was a LB from U.S.C. who left the Raiders because (get this!) he wanted to eat a veggie diet and refused to eat beef. Somehow I don't think Al Davis was amused.

WHAT SAY YE?