View Poll Results: What are the "experts" overlooking when evaluating the 2012 Rams?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • They are underestimating the O line given Wells and a healthy Saffold.

4 11.43%
  • They underestimate the impact of veterans Amendola and Steve Smith.

2 5.71%
  • They fail to foresee the emergence the Jackson/Pead combo as one of the league's best.

1 2.86%
  • They don't get that the Rams could have a top 10 DL this year.

6 17.14%
  • They underestimate the improvement to the LB corps.

1 2.86%
  • They have failed to see that the Rams are poised to have a great DB this year.

3 8.57%
  • They are underestimating Fisher's impact.

7 20.00%
  • They are underestimating Bradford's ability.

3 8.57%
  • They are underestimating the rookie class as a whole.

1 2.86%
  • They are pretty much on target with their evaluation of the Rams.

7 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What are the "experts" overlooking when evaluating the 2012 Rams?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What are the "experts" overlooking when evaluating the 2012 Rams?

At this time each year, there are countless commentators providing league-wide overviews and predictions for the upcoming season.

Many... indeed, most of these commentators have little more than a superficial knowledge of the majority of teams they are evaluating.

As a result, these overviews and predictions often become a surface level "conventional wisdom," rather than analyses containing true insight on each team's potential.

We, on the other hand, spend our time focusing on the Rams. As a result, as a whole, we have more knowledge about the Rams than most of the commentators.

With that in mind, what quality of the 2012 Rams do you think the commentators are overlooking when they evaluate the 2012 Rams?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: What are the "experts" overlooking when evaluating the 2012 Rams?

I went with the DB.

I've seen articles praising Fisher, predicting a major turnaround for Bradford, and praising the DL.

I've seen little, though, discussing how good the Rams' DB can be.

They have two established veterans (Finnegan, Mikell), an emerging young talent (Stewart), very promising rookies (Jenkins, Johnson) and the possibility of significant contributions from players returning from injury (Fletcher, Murphy). I think this could be a real strenght area for the team in 2012.
    JM7 likes this.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I want our Rams to have a great year no doubt...but i feel like the experts are on the dot...There is an enormous amount of potential on this team but on the other hand there are many question marks especially the players coming off injuries for us can they make a big impact

Theres so many question marks but plenty of potential

EDIT: however i still feel like the expectations of 5-6 wins is low i think we have the best QB in the division and do not believe the ***** can play as well as they did last year
    Last edited by BarronWade; -07-19-2012 at 01:24 PM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Great thread, Av...

i went with they are underestimating the O -line. I think the commentators are not factoring in the excellent job that Boudreau is going to do with this unit.

Also, Fish has always had solid to excellent lines throughout his career and I believe (from some of his ramarks) that he likes what he sees with this group. Granted, as a fan I can't say that I see it but, then, it ain't up to me.

The only fly in the ointment is health. The O - line just has to stay healthy and the rest will take care of itself.

GO RAMS!!

WHAT SAY YE?

Rambos is offline Registered User

They are underestimating the O line given Wells and a healthy Saffold.
    They underestimate the impact of veterans Amendola and Steve Smith.
    They fail to foresee the emergence the Jackson/Pead combo as one of the league's best.
    They don't get that the Rams could have a top 10 DL this year.
    They underestimate the improvement to the LB corps.
    They have failed to see that the Rams are poised to have a great DB this year.
    They are underestimating Fisher's impact.
    They are underestimating Bradford's ability.
    They are underestimating the rookie class as a whole.

I can't find one that stands above the rest, so I went with all of the above. I do agree with Av this secondary will be the strength of this team, that being said the defense could be really good top ten good.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I can't find one that stands above the rest, so I went with all of the above. I do agree with Av this secondary will be the strength of this team, that being said the defense could be really good top ten good.
    So does this mean our D will finally accrue some coverage sacks? Wouldn't that be sweet for a change ..

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I have a lot of doubt on the Rams' ability to be sucsessful this year, (make it back to the playoffs) but if anything I think the "experts" may be underestimating Fisher's impact. We have a real, bona fide head coach leading our team. We haven't had one of those since Super Bowl 34. Its bound to have enough of an impact so that hopefully the days of records with double-digit loses are behind us.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Could we see an immediate turnaround? Sure we could. (see Jim Harbaugh)

Realisticly though the team has to learn the Jeff Fisher system, entirely. I'm not expecting much this season but I will be next season.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Could we see an immediate turnaround? Sure we could. (see Jim Harbaugh)

Realisticly though the team has to learn the Jeff Fisher system, entirely. I'm not expecting much this season but I will be next season.
    What he said. 2015 is the Year of the Ram.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

RealRam is offline Registered User

Coach Fish will take care of upgrading all systems.

Watch out all you "experts"!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

For me it's the defensive line. IMO, a top ten D-Line all-but-equals a top 10 Defense, and in this league that's paramount to winning football games. If the DL succeeds, the team succeeds.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

From most of what I've read, I see most of the assessments to be pretty fair thus far. I've seen quite a few acknowledgments to the defensive upgrades and possibilities. I've also seen fair credit given to the opportunities that exist at WR, yet questioning whether we have a true number one. If I were to go against anything but fair evaluation it would be the offensive line, but even then I don't think it is something that has been overlooked. Should the line be better, absolutely...but better than miserable still leaves a lot of question marks. I'm not saying that the team can't be full of some great surprises, in fact I'm counting, hoping, praying on it (just like I do every year), but ultimately I'd say most evaluations thus far are pretty fair.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

My vote went to Amendola/Smith. More for Amendola though. I think he will re-open the short passing game that was pretty much absent last year, which will do a lot for all other aspects of the offense. Everyone talks about the impact of Quick, Givens, or Kendricks, but I think Amendola's return will do a lot for Bradford. Gives him the safety blanket, and a good option to combat the blitz. Last year, minus Amendola, Bradford had no one to reliably dump the ball off to on a blitz, and he paid a hefty price for it.

As such, I think Amendola will be very beneficial to the overall offense, and is among the least talked about additions.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Protect Bradford and he will make us a winner!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

FestusRam is offline Registered User

The O-Line.Over the course of the summer, fans and "experts" alike have expressed there doubts about our line keeping Bradford on his feet.The problem is, for the most part, no one is looking beyond just the poor play of the line last year. Its understandable, but we need to think deeper here.Even besides the outrageous amount of injuries last year, the line still played poorly. I like to think the stubborn mindset of Mcdaniels contributed to this more so than many other reasonings.The guy somehow just looked the other way when it came to evaluating our receiving core. Besides Amendola, who went down early and never came back, no one got open on a consistent basis. Not even close. Coverage sacks were abundant. Couple that with a young quarterback being force fed a complex offense during a lockout year, and we got what was comin to us.Mcdaniels was all about more routes and less blockers whether we had the personel to do it or not. He didnt stray from that approach very often. Also, when Jackson wasnt on the field, everyone knew it was pass first.Lets be clear here though, the line didnt step up either, but there play in during Bradfords rookie season proves they can keep a QB on his feet.Enter Fisher/SchottyThis will make a world of a difference. I have complete confidence we will see more of the line of two years ago rather than last year. Why? Because Schottys philosophy fits our current group so much smoother. Use our Top 5 RB and keep the D off balance. The run opens up the playaction so well and I feel like we didnt see much of that at all laat year.Run the ball and keep the D off balance. Couple that with plays that dont take so long to develop. We dont have the wideouts to do any different as of now. I honestly feel like if we can stay somewhat injury free, its just about as easy as that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast