Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

What is going on here?

That's the question I have to ask ...

ClanRam is EASILY the greatest Rams forum on the internets today. Take a minute, go visit some of the other forums out there, and it won't take you long to realize this ...

I have paid my dues, I do every year, and I am a premium member here. I love supporting this site. I have had my issues with some folks here, some prominent folks through the times, and despite that, I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but here ...

This board has great members, some very intelligent Rams fans, and I have loved discussing football with many of you from day one ...

But what in the world has happened to the quality of the posts here lately? I don't know if it is all the new members, if the newer members are afraid to express their opinions, or what it is. But I am seeing more one-liners than ever, more repeat posts and topics than ever, more one sided discussions that ever ...

It's seems to be a great time to be a Rams fan, but something just doesn't seem right around here. I cannot seem to pinpoint it, and maybe I am the only one, but I've found these forums very hard to read over the past couple of weeks. Maybe my comfort level is down because I am seeing so many new faces, but it seems like I am having to pick through alot of jibberish to find the posts that I really want to read and see ...

I am just wondering if it's only me, or if others are feeling the same way. During this great offseason, one of the best we've had in a decade, I would really like to be jumping for joy and sharing this with others, but for some reason something seems off ....

Hmmmm, I don't know, maybe I am just nuts ...

rams#1 Guest

Re: What is going on here?

No you're not nuts.. I have Noticed this too.. my rep may not be good, but I love the rams more than anything and to see some members just totaly post random crap on here it just makes me wonder what they are thinking.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I've been to many a RAMS site and I can say this is by far numero uno by far... Thanks everyone behind the scenes

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    But what in the world has happened to the quality of the posts here lately? I don't know if it is all the new members, if the newer members are afraid to express their opinions, or what it is. But I am seeing more one-liners than ever, more repeat posts and topics than ever, more one sided discussions that ever ...

It's seems to be a great time to be a Rams fan, but something just doesn't seem right around here. I cannot seem to pinpoint it, and maybe I am the only one, but I've found these forums very hard to read over the past couple of weeks. Maybe my comfort level is down because I am seeing so many new faces, but it seems like I am having to pick through alot of jibberish to find the posts that I really want to read and see ...
    Shoot, I'll throw the cards out on the table - it's a maturity issue.

Some people are more interested in their post count than they are anything else. They want to be the first ones to break every little piece of news, significant or not. So much so that they often don't look around the forums - sometimes won't even look around on the first page of a forum - to make sure the news isn't yet posted before posting it again.

Some people see an item on Rotoworld and are so concerned with being the guy breaking the story that they just copy and paste what Rotoworld said, even though the site might have linked to the original and more detailed source of the news. But they can't take the time out to follow the link and read the story; nope, gotta be the first to post it.

They also don't take the time to think before they post; they just post and post and post some more, regardless of whether or not what they're posting is thought through or not. They're under the impression that quantity equals quality, and it really doesn't. And the irony is I say this as the guy who ranks highest in total posts, yet I'm pretty satisfied with the level of detail and thoughtful debate that one might find if they did a search of my user name.

There is a portion of the membership who approach the Clan as if it's a chat room rather than a message board, as if everything that pops into their head needs to be posted right away and without a filter. No one is saying you can't express your opinion, but the key to being a quality poster is making quality posts. That means making sure you not only have an opinion but it's an informed one that brings something of value to the discussion you're entering. Maybe you have to do a little bit of research in order to make your point, but take the extra five minutes to support your point.

Now I'm not going to name names, because the intent of this response wasn't to single anyone out. But I would challenge members to take a moment and think about what they want to express before they express it. Posting just for the sake of posting affects the quality of discussion on the board, because that kind of posting is often done with little brought to the topic.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

I agree! (Sorry, I couldn't resist)

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    It's interesting, I was thinking along similar lines the other day. What occurs to me is that it's nothing new. Every year we get posters who come aboard right in time for the offseason process, seemingly hyped on red cordial and ready to express, entirely on a whim, whatever takes their fancy. It's unfortunate that it happens, but it's entirely a byproduct of the great offseason process that the NFL boats.

I think it's a lot of newer and especially younger posters, likely over-enthused and on a mission to prove that their opinion is as valid as anybody else's. I guess what they don't understand is that it's only as valid as what they say to support it, and in a lot of cases that's not much. Draft Crabtree why? Chris Johnson why? I guess what I'm saying is that the offseason is a great time to be a fan of any team, and a great time to get into football in general. I won't say much else, because Nick pretty well hit the nail on the head. Although this offseason ride is bumpy... at least it's interesting

BM_Face is offline Registered User

I think this is a standard phase of message board evolution. ClanRam in particular has benefited from a steady rate of growth and an extremely solid core of veteran posters who help maintain high-quality content. The content is what attracts the noobs and newbs alike (as well as somt haters) to this site. New posters have thier place, and should be welcomed, (by God the children are the future. )but...generational differences are bound to arise. G'all darn dancin' in the end zone. Dag gum.

Does Clanram have guidlines for posting 'copied' content? I don't 'copy' enough content from other sites to know, but if some of our members are being careless, perhaps the rules should be tightened up. Threads like this one help as well; I have no animosity to new/young posters, and I hope Clanrams continues to grow. Ram fans need a stong online community, and new, younger fans will naturally be drawn to the best forum online. Thanks Ramsinfiniti.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Infinity, I think part of the problem right now is the off-season doldrums spread liberally over a base of a lackluster season.

Yes the draft is right around the corner and for many that is enough to keep them excited but I have so little time to watch college football I haven't a clue to who most of the guys are.

The little time I have for perusing Rams happenings is mostly spent here, for as stated by others, it is the premier Rams site. IMHO.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I've noticed a fall-off in 'standards' (for want of a better word, I couldn't think of one) in terms of the quality of posts on the board recently.

There's been a little bit more of a personal, adversarial quality to some of the posts which just makes me switch off. Some people can't make a point without name-calling.

Perhaps its just a personal thing but I've always felt that ClanRam was the best for a reason and having 'standards' was probably it.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I have a number of thoughts on this subject:
    • ClanRam has always had a goal of quality over quantity. I, for one, would rather have 50 good posters than 1,000 trolls.
    • I think forum topics that involve some original thought and analysis, rather than the mere passing on of a news item, are what make this site interesting. Take, for example, Bar-bq's 5 first round mock draft thread. He clearly gave that a lot of thought, and it provides a real basis for conversation. That's the kind of thread that we want - one that makes coming to ClanRam different from every other news/fan site.
    • There is nothing wrong with being "outside the box" or controversial. Just make your argument and back it up, and people will respect you for it, even if they disagree. Truth be told (and I won't mention any names) some of my favorite posters here are ones that I disagree with the majority of the time.
    • If your goal here is simply to vent frustration and be (as the young folks say) a "hater," you will receive backlash.
    • If your goal here is to say "LOOK AT ME" you won't last.
    That's how I see it.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I don't think a member's post count is important but I am trying to catch Nick before the season starts.

Seriously... I don't mind the one liners because I like to get and give a good laugh.

I don't mind the disagreements because I always try to have an open mind and I have been swayed by the other side a time or two.

It is a little tiring, however, to see dozens of threads started on the same subject. It seems like instead of just responding in a current thread some posters just start their own. I'm sure it's hard on the mods and I don't want to post in all of them just to get my opinion out there.

Since I'm already risking some negative reps here... I also think some of the posters don't read the original post very carefully. A lot of times questions are posed to the members and the responses seem more about pushing their agenda *cough curry cough* than giving a thoughtful answer.

But I do love me some ClanRam!!
    Last edited by Rambunctious; -03-13-2009 at 12:31 PM.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's the offseason......the offseason is like a roller coaster ride at Six Flags or Disneyworld. You wait two hours for 10 minutes of thrill. You have the first initial burst of Free Agency then wham......nothing. It's like driving through west Texas. You pass one city, then you lose cell phone reception because THERE'S NOTHING GOING ON. Then, you get to another town 3 hours later.

Sorta like the off season. Free Agency.....lull for a month.....Draft......lull for a month.....OTA's......lull for a month......then training camp. That's when it starts to bubble up. So, just jones through the lull periods....the season will be here soon enough.

Or, you could go to the Draft & Free Agent area and see who has posted the mock after the first mock adjusted for the mock after the combine but before pro day then mocked again after the pro day but before the draft that's proceeded by the mock the day before draft day mock.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Through and through gentlemen people love the rams here and no one can deny that...

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

With such knowledge on this site, it is a little intimidating at times to post. Also, stories get posted as they are released. Sometimes I just enjoy reading and I will post from time to time. I appreciate the thought that goes into some of these one liners, believe me I don't have a whole lot of time to go through long winded Avenger post! LOL!

At any rate, some can improve the quality of their posts I agree. More emotion will come in as the draft draws closer and preseason begins.

I wouldn't judge the posts too much, might discourage some.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    With such knowledge on this site, it is a little intimidating at times to post. Also, stories get posted as they are released. Sometimes I just enjoy reading and I will post from time to time. I appreciate the thought that goes into some of these one liners, believe me I don't have a whole lot of time to go through long winded Avenger post! LOL!

At any rate, some can improve the quality of their posts I agree. More emotion will come in as the draft draws closer and preseason begins.

I wouldn't judge the posts too much, might discourage some.

Well, this is a Ram's forum, one is free to post all things Rams, whether past, present, or future ...

I think the creativity is what is suffering most lately. We can all read news about transactions and the draft on any generic sports site. What is missing is the personal insight, the personal opinions, and stories that were once told with much higher frequency ...

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast