RamTime Guest

What Have The Rams Ever Done For You?

I was stumped, dumbfounded, astonished, bewildered, bemused, puzzled, perplexed and speechless after the bellowing of a niner fan that has taken a new turn in his life and has decided that football is not all that important after-all.

No my confusion is not why this niner fan has better things to do then support a losing team. That was expected. My bewilderment surfaced when I was asked a somewhat personal question regarding my lifetime support of the Rams.

Before I put forth to you the question which rendered me temporarily speechless it is important that you grasp what has been going on for the better part of 25 years here in the arrogant empire they call niner country.

I am an expert when it comes to niner wrong doings both criminal and civil, from their owners to their water boy therefore it has been a long time since I have been left standing speechless by a niner fan.

At one time, niner fans along with their arrogance were so thick in these parts that you could cut them with a knife and perhaps a few legitimate football fans did just that.

Like locusts dressed in red their swarm was thick, their chatter was unnerving, and their knowledge of the game was limited to a few over used, over stated phrases.
    Phrases that consisted of:
    “Blank is the best blank ever.” (Fill in the Blanks with any niner name then add their position respectively.)

“I have been a loyal niner fan since 1981”.

“The niners are the greatest franchise in sports history”.

"How many superbowls has your team won?”

“All breaks even out over the course of a season.”

Referee huddles leading to a reversal favoring my niners happen to every team.”

“All teams cheat the salary cap.”

“Free agents come to the niners and sign for millions less then their market value for a chance to win a championship.”

It was as if each niner fan was a clone of the other then to make matters worse all you had to do was turn on a sports talk radio station and there they were. Yes indeed, there were clones hosting sports talk radio stations up and down the dial.

It didn't matter if the topic was the Sacramento Kings or the Golden state warriors or the Oakland Raiders, all you had to do was listen for a few minutes and one of the clones would work in a comparison to a niner player.

"Chris Webber's work ethic should be like that of the Great Jerry Rice."
    "All you have to do is look across the bay to see what a great franchise can achieve."
    “Look no further then Walsh, the genius himself, the father of pro football and the inventor of the short pass as to why Mike Holmgrun has been winning in Green Bay and as to why Dennis Green has been successful in Minnesota. Look at the inventor of the forward pass as to why the Bronco’s won back to back Superbowls.” Indeed there was A Walsh Apostil spreading the word of the genius resulting in Superbowl champions each and every year.

I'm not making this stuff up!

The clones are settling down now. They are crawling hack underneath the rocks, spinning new cocoons where they will hibernate until they see promises of the next Joe, or Steve, or Ronnie, or Bill or Jerry or Roger. Of course there is always a chance that some rules changing in the NFL could shake them out earlier giving them a shot at creating a new gutless, gimmick offensive scheme such as the West Coast Offensive. Oh yea if by chance they are sold to another Cheating, Lying, Bribing, fan slugging, Crooked Felon such as Eddie Debartolo then they will surely come out of hiding. Then the noise that rivals a megalopolis of people simultaneously running their fingernails across a chalkboard will start again.

While they hibernate I will ask you the question which at first glance seemed easy to answer however the words did not and have not come out in any way that satisfies me enough to express what the Rams have done for me. When I tried but failed to find the words I thought, “What a stupid question, it’s not something that you can put words to.” But is it? Can you answer this question? Keep in mind that this question is not for everyone. It is for those who are perceived as to passionate about the Rams. Passionate to a fault some would say. Yes, a fan just like yourself. Posters on this board certainly fit this illing. I do not see any exemptions.

What have the Rams ever done for you?

general counsel Guest

Re: What Have The Rams Ever Done For You?

The rams create a bastion of sanity for me in an insane world. They are my great escape and my great love. The outlet for passions and joys. Now dont make any sheep jokes guys.....

ramming speed to all

general counsel

thoey is offline Registered User

The Rams give me something to think about. Something that sometimes stretches my mind, whether it is trying to figure out what went wrong, or it's wondering how they did that amazing play. They give me another reason to look forward to the weekend. They give me ups, and they give me downs.
    This space for rent...

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

The Rams are responsible for my love of the game of football itself, and, ironically, it was a shutout LOSS that did it! And while you scratch your heads, I'll explain:

In January 1986, the Rams lost the NFC Championship to the Chicago Bears. No news there. What no one knew was that soon afterward, while in front of the TV, a 9-year-old girl's viewing pleasure was interrupted by her dad wanting to watch the Superbowl. She never liked football, and groaned loudly, whining that it was "SOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring". Then all of a sudden, the "Superbowl Shuffle" started to play, and she was in stitches! She could not stop laughing, and when she settled down and watched the game, it turned out not to be so boring after all! That night, a football fan was born. If the Rams had not lost that game, that little girl might not have come to love the game of football, and I have never been able to thank the Rams enough. All I can do is cheer them on. I saw to it that my daughter was and is a Rams fan, and hope that someday, she can pass her love for the Rams on to her daughter.

That is what the Rams have ever done for me.
    Last edited by MOM; -11-23-2004 at 01:49 PM.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

A few years back, I was on vacation in the Canadian Rockies. One afternoon, I was on a hike above the tree line, and was trying to get a photograph of the elusive denizen of the tundra, the mountain goat. Suddenly, I heard the cry of a distressed hiker who had his leg caught under a pile of rocks that had tumbled down the hill in a slide. Devising a crude fulcrum, I managed to move the stones. However, the sound of one crashing down the hill triggered an avalanche that nearly buried us. Three days passed, and it seemed all was lost. Then, from nowhere, a rescue team consisting of Dave Elmendorf, Cullen Bryant and Billy Waddy appeared and saved us.

That, is what the Rams have done for me.

BigGame is offline Registered User

Ram football provides me with what alcoholics call a moment of clarity. Being a student concerned with money problems, females, passing, social status, and my future in general, I sometimes get lost in the world. Every Sunday from September through January, the Rams provide me with time for none of that to matter. Watching the game is the only thing that clears my mind. And it is a passion. I described it to someone the other day; Rams football is the "screen saver of my life." When one of the above mentioned issues isn't plauging me, football is on my mind..... stats, plays, whatever.

Also, being a "starstruck" kind of person, meeting Rams players has also provided me with some of the highlights of my young life. Whether at a game or training camp, I have never had a bad encounter with a Ram player.

I guess thats about all they have done for me.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well let's see.....

1. Lost two good girlfriends
    2. Alienated all humankind during Rams games
    3. Ulcers
    4. Elation
    5. Accelerated male pattern baldness

MOM

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    Well let's see.....

1. Lost two good girlfriends
    2. Alienated all humankind during Rams games
    3. Ulcers
    4. Elation
    5. Accelerated male pattern baldness
    Now, now, you wouldn't trade it for anything in the world despite all that, and you know it.....admit it

1. There are other fish in the sea
    2. You can meet new people
    3. Ulcers are treatable
    4. Elation releases chemicals in the brain that create natural highs
    5. Hair plugs are getting cheaper all the time
    Last edited by MOM; -11-23-2004 at 04:00 PM.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by MOM
    Now, now, you wouldn't trade it for anything in the world despite all that, and you know it.....admit it

1. There are other fish in the sea
    2. You can meet new people
    3. Ulcers are treatable
    4. Elation releases chemicals in the brain that create natural highs
    5. Hair plugs are getting cheaper all the time
    Geez Mama you are ruthless. :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

An escape from the normal daily grinde.
    Somethng to look forward to, and share with those who feel the same.

No girlfriends, ( at least during the season)
    Not wanting to be around those who do not appreciate Rams football.
    30 years of frustration, with a few years of elation mixed in.

I love my RAMS no matter what. :ramlogo:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

MOM

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Geez Mama you are ruthless. :redface:
    Of course I am.... :tongue:

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

They've given me some emotional equity in the greatest sport in the world. Before the Rams moved to the Lou, we had nothing for a football fan. Don't get me wrong, I love the "Birds on a Bat" over at Busch Stadium, but there's nothing like watching your team on a Sunday afternoon. In '95, the Rams gave me that.

Now I openly admit that I am a step behind you guys that have come across the country with them from SoCal, but you guys & gals have given me as much as the Rams have. You've shown me that a fan is not bound by geography. The Rams are still the Rams no matter where they are, and I didn't appreciate that fact until I read from all of you that have been fans through the years, no matter where the Rams have called home, be it Anaheim, LA, Cleveland or St. Louis.

So I thank you "more traveled" fans for what you've taught me. Thank you.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamTime Guest

So I thank you "more traveled" fans for what you've taught me. Thank you.
    Thank you people in St. Louis for giving the Rams a GREAT home and sticking it out through those tough years.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Tx...lol...are you looking for some sympathy?

The Rams give me something to believe in, people to believe in, a team, a cause, an escape from the every day issues of my own life. And the Clan gives me a place to come talk to people about the Rams. It is a bit of an obsession for me, but I could think of worse things to be obsessed about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamTime Guest

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    A few years back, I was on vacation in the Canadian Rockies. One afternoon, I was on a hike above the tree line, and was trying to get a photograph of the elusive denizen of the tundra, the mountain goat. Suddenly, I heard the cry of a distressed hiker who had his leg caught under a pile of rocks that had tumbled down the hill in a slide. Devising a crude fulcrum, I managed to move the stones. However, the sound of one crashing down the hill triggered an avalanche that nearly buried us. Three days passed, and it seemed all was lost. Then, from nowhere, a rescue team consisting of Dave Elmendorf, Cullen Bryant and Billy Waddy appeared and saved us.

That, is what the Rams have done for me.
    ROTFLMAO

What kind of mind thinks this stuff up?
    Oh ok. Alright I see...