RamWraith is offline Registered User

What the hell is medically going at Rams Park???

Does it not seem really strange that there are all these weird infections going around Rams Park?? And now a death. I think I would be calling the CDC, and asking them to have a look at what is up.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -01-10-2006 at 06:49 PM.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: What the hell is medically going at Rams Park???

Last season there was a "flesh-eating" type bacteria prevalent among the players. This year, it seems to be a different strain, but it also is drug resistant.
    Before next season begins, the entire EJD needs to be sealed off, fumigated, and sterilized to operating room cleanliness.
    If I'm correct, this infection first appeared in week 1 of the 2004 regular season. This means the bacteria was introduced before this date.
    Either something was brought back from the last pre-season 2004 game in Oakland, or there was a Marilyn Manson concert at the EJD. Either would explain where the infections started.

Laugh all you want. But I tell you what. Staph infections can run wild and can be very contagious and dangerous. My concern is that these seem to hitting the older people at Rams Park internally. Vitt and Matz and an infection in the heart. And now Snow. Think of how many players we had sick with the "flu" this year. I wouldn't be shocked to read some where that this is taken to another level

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    Last season there was a "flesh-eating" type bacteria prevalent among the players. This year, it seems to be a different strain, but it also is drug resistant.
    Before next season begins, the entire EJD needs to be sealed off, fumigated, and sterilized to operating room cleanliness.
    If I'm correct, this infection first appeared in week 1 of the 2004 regular season. This means the bacteria was introduced before this date.
    Either something was brought back from the last pre-season 2004 game in Oakland, or there was a Marilyn Manson concert at the EJD. Either would explain where the infections started.
    Last edited by RamWraith; -01-10-2006 at 07:03 PM.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

The staph bacteria is very common, lots of people have it living on their skin all of the time. It will enter through an open cut or a break in the skin. So it's really not an issue of fumigating the EJD.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

There is really no humor in the situation, perhaps I misstated what I intended.
    Staph infections are common at hospitals, and fumigation is sometimes necessary.
    There have been reports of staph infections spread among concert-goers via the restrooms, and associated functions. Marilyn Manson concerts actually had a higher percentage than normal just a few years ago.
    And I was serious...Oakland was our final opponent in the 2004 pre-season. If a player from St. Louis happenned to pick up an infection from the warm, moist locker room in Oakland in August of 2004, and brought it back to the EJD....
    These staphylococci are nasty creatures. The kind at the EJD appear to be drug-resistant. The locker rooms should be sterilized.

LOL LOL LOL
    OOOOOHHHHHHH

I thought you were joking about the Manson thing. My bad.

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam
    There is really no humor in the situation, perhaps I misstated what I intended.
    Staph infections are common at hospitals, and fumigation is sometimes necessary.
    There have been reports of staph infections spread among concert-goers via the restrooms, and associated functions. Marilyn Manson concerts actually had a higher percentage than normal just a few years ago.
    And I was serious...Oakland was our final opponent in the 2004 pre-season. If a player from St. Louis happenned to pick up an infection from the warm, moist locker room in Oakland in August of 2004, and brought it back to the EJD....
    These staphylococci are nasty creatures. The kind at the EJD appear to be drug-resistant. The locker rooms should be sterilized.

Hmmm...just read this:http://www.livedaily.com/news/Linkin...rium-5091.html
    July 2003 concert at the EJD. I wonder if this was "patient Zero?"

I found this on a Canadian Gov't website:
    The precise rate of facility-acquired
    infection in Canada is not known,
    because these figures are not
    comprehensively reported to any
    central authority or body. Based on
    US studies, it is estimated that
    there are 220,000 occurrences of
    facility-acquired infections in Canadian hospitals annually, resulting in
    excess of 8,000 deaths.7
    The number of occurrences appears to be on the increase, partly due to a
    surge in the number of antibiotic-resistant pathogens. For example, 440
    identified cases of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MSRA) were
    found in 20 of the 21 Canadian hospitals and long-term care facilities
    studied in the first Canadian MSRA surveillance study, conducted in 1995
    over an 18-month period.8 More recent studies have shown that the rate of MSRA infections has increased 10-fold over the past decade.9
    The impact of facility-acquired infections can be significant prolonged
    illness, possible death, and the costs of extended hospital stays and
    associated treatment.
    According to the CDC:
    New disinfection methods include a persistent antimicrobial-drug coating that can be applied to inanimate and animate objects (Surfacine), a high-level disinfectant with reduced exposure time (ortho-phthalaldehyde), and an antimicrobial drug that can be applied to animate and inanimate objects (superoxidized water). New sterilization methods include a chemical sterilization process for endoscopes that integrates cleaning (Endoclens), a rapid (4- hour) readout biological indicator for ethylene oxide sterilization (Attest), and a hydrogen peroxide plasma sterilizer that has a shorter cycle time and improved efficacy (Sterrad 50).

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Actually, 5 Rams players contracted the infection during the 2003 season. After SF played here that year, 2 or 3 of their players also contracted the infection. The players afflicted usually suffered from turf burn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here is an article about this at Rams Park in 2005

Pro Football Players Pass Staph Infections

Staph Outbreak That Hit NFL Team Linked to Poor Hygiene On and Off the Field By Jennifer Warner
    WebMD Medical News Reviewed By Brunilda Nazario, MD
    on Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Feb. 2, 2005 -- Staph infections may pose a bigger risk to some professional football players than a tackle or quarterback sack, and the best defense may be better hygiene on the field and in the locker room.

New research shows a fall 2003 outbreak of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) skin infections among the St. Louis Rams were likely spread among players on as well as off the field through rough play and shared towels, whirlpools, and weights.

Researchers blame "turf burns" or areas of skin rendered raw by a run-in with artificial turf as both the source and means of spreading the fast-spreading bacteria that invade the body via cuts in the skin.

"These abrasions were usually left uncovered, and when combined with frequent skin-to-skin contact throughout the football season, probably constituted both the source and the vehicle for transmission," write researcher Sophia V. Kazakova, MD, MPH, PhD, of the CDC, and colleagues in the Feb. 3 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.

The study also showed that linemen were 10 times more likely to develop the infection than a heavily guarded quarterback or other backfielder; the heavier the linebacker, the greater the risk.

Antibiotic-Resistant Infections On the Rise

The Rams asked the CDC for some defensive assistance and to investigate the outbreak in November 2003. By that time, a number of players had developed large skin abscesses caused by MRSA and additional infections were found in members of an opposing team, which suggested that the bacteria might be spread during play.

Methicillin is an antibiotic commonly used to treat staph infections. But the emergence of a growing number of staph strains that are resistant to treatment with this antibiotic is a major problem, as doctors have to consistently turn to more powerful antibiotics to treat them.

These types of antibiotic-resistant infections are commonly seen in health care settings, but the CDC says an increasing number of MRSA infections are being reported in people without links to hospitals, including football players.

In this case, researchers found that eight MRSA infections occurred during the 2003 football season among five of the 58 Rams players (9%). All of the infections occurred at the site of a turf burn and rapidly progressed to large abscesses 5 to 7 centimeters in diameter that required surgery to drain.

Most of the infections resolved within 10 days after the start of treatment, but three of the Rams players developed recurrent infections. Although none of the players required hospitalization, the affected players missed a total of 17 days due to their staph infection.

Mounting a Defense Against Staph Infection

After observing the team in action, researchers pointed out gaping holes in the team's defensive lines against infectious diseases that left them vulnerable to penetration by bacteria like staph.

For example:

Turf burns were reported frequently among players during games and practices (about two to three turf burns per week).
    Trainers who provided wound care did not have regular access to hand-washing facilities or alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
    Towels were frequently shared on the field during practice and games with as many as three players per towel.
    Rams players often did not shower before using communal whirlpools.
    Weights and other training equipment were not routinely cleaned at the training facility.

In addition, researchers found the football players received an average of 2.6 antibiotic prescriptions per year. That rate is 10 times higher than among people of the same age and sex in the general population and may contribute to antibiotic resistance among the players.

Researchers beefed up the Rams' defense by installing wall-mounted soap dispensers at their training facility and instructing them in infection-control measures, such as appropriate wound care and monitoring of skin infections.

Based on these findings, the CDC has also initiated a joint effort with the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) to develop guidelines for the prevention and control of community-associated MRSA among college football players.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I stand corrected on the fumigation (sorry RFSam), I was looking at it more like even if they did fumigate, if someone was infected again and passed it on, it would just be an never ending fumigation process, so I didn't think the fumigation would be an option. Learn something new everyday.
    BRUUUUUUUUUUUCE

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

After observing the team in action, researchers pointed out gaping holes in the team's defensive lines against infectious diseases that left them vulnerable to penetration by bacteria like staph.
    Man, our defensive problems are so bad; it's a medical epidemic....:tongue:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...