HornIt is offline Registered User

What a huge difference in coaching staffs

With Linehan, you had a lot of big name, highly experienced people. Linehan himself had been a coordinator for a couple NFL teams prior to joining the Rams as a first time Head Coach, but he was the only first time anything with that staff.

He tried to get a big name in Jim Bates at the time for DC, but couldn't, so he turned to another big name in Jim Haslett. Haslett was an NFL DC and HC. He brought with him Venturi who was a former NFL HC and DC as well. And then Willie Robinson, the DB's coach, was a former NFL DC too. They had 2 former NFL HC's and 3 former NFL DC's on the defensive staff alone!

When they brought Saunders in, another big name, and another guy with a lot of NFL OC experience plus he too was a former NFL HC.

They had 4 coaches on that staff with NFL HC experience, if you include Linehan. And they had 5 guys with NFL coordinating experience. This was the good ol' boy staff for sure.

Fast forward to now. Now they have a first time HC with only 2 years of NFL coordinator experience, a QB coach now as a first time OC and a LB coach as a first time DC. No big names other than Spags himself. Pretty short NFL resumes for all of them. Most people had never even heard of these guys before the calendar changed to 2009.

And the ST coach they're looking at from Minnesota only has something like 2 years NFL experience as well. I expect this trend will continue as they hire other assitant coaches. Out with the old guard, in with the new.

If you wanted something totally new, and I did, you've got it. I don't know how it's all going to work out, but one thing I bet we won't have to worry about is compacency. These guys should all be fresh and hungry. No more competing egos and one upsmanship. And if the trend in the coaching staff I'm seeing here continues on down through the roster, I think we'll be waiving goodbye to a lot of the old guard players too.

They've got me interested. Can't wait to see what happens.

jimmyray is offline Registered User

Re: What a huge difference in coaching staffs

I tend to agree with your thinking on this. All of those former coaches pretty much unwillingly obtained the former tag, i.e. fired ya know. Will be nice to see some guys that all have the same goal of making something of themselves and hopefully the by-product will be a hungry team with better chemistry and a winning attitude. I am so totally amazed at how fast the Rams fell and how hard they hit bottom.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

It always bugged me that Line#@& often had people under him who had more experience than he did. It always left me with a "who's in charge?" vibe. You can't tell me that Haslett didn't say to himself a few times "why am I working for this guy. I know more than he does." Saunders may have felt that way too.

With this new staff, I see a clear hierarchy. Spags is coming from a successful run at the coordinator level. He's hired guys who are rising from the position coach level. There's a natural progression there that fits into the chain of command being established.

That sort of thing is more important than people sometimes realize.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I also think that being promoted from position level to dc/oc level and in the case of spags from DC to HC will make you work you ass of to prove to everybody that you are up for the job.

Where a demontion from HC to something below will probably not fire you up that much (unless you use this as an opportunity to prove somebody that they where wrong kicking you out).

I am really excited to see how the 2009 will go, I think we will take a big leap in the right direction.

I tend to agree with the natural progression in the chain of command. I think that helps establish a clear hierarchy or makes it easier at least.

On the flip side though, you have the Ravens situation this year with a ST coach taking a first time HC job and bringing in Cam Cammeron and keeping Rex Ryan. Those were two pretty big guns for a first time HC to work with, but it worked.

Most of it depends on the people involved of course. Cameron, for instance, has always seemed to be willing to be a good soldier. But there have been reports about both Saunders and Haslett that they tend to politic in the background, perhaps because they always feel like they should be the guy in charge, and those things can definitely undermine a chain of command and an environment.

I remember Miklasz praising Linehan's ability to set his ego aside and accept a powerful personality and former HC on his coaching staff when he hired Haslett. That was supposed to be a sign of strength then. Now I think it was just poor judgment. I prefer the route Spags is taking by being careful not to introduce old baggage and perhaps less than pure agendas to a new environment and going with hungry guys working their way up the ladder over guys that have been at the top of it and seem more focused on getting back up there again themselves than keeping somebody else up there.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'll say it again and I'm sure GC will agree.....Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's anyday. Yes, I am impressed with the "Paint Job" but the "Engine" needs a lot of work.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'll say it again and I'm sure GC will agree.....Jimmy's and Joe's beat X's and O's anyday. Yes, I am impressed with the "Paint Job" but the "Engine" needs a lot of work.
    Yeah, I don't really agree with that. Not to the extend you're taking it. Not any day.

If that were true, the Dallas Cowboys would be playing for their second consecutive Super Bowl trophy in a couple weeks.

If that were true, Boise State would never come close to touching Oklahoma, let alone beating them.

If that were true, the Rams would have at least two rings right now.

If that were true, the NY Yankees would have won every World Series this decade.

And on and on the list could go.

Yes, you need good Jimmy's and Joe's to win consistently, but the quick turnarounds we see in the NFL these days proves that sometimes Jimmy and Joe play a lot better when they operate in a positive environment, are properly motivated and are put in better position to succeed on the field by the people working the x's and o's.

In short, it's BOTH the x's and o's and the Jimmy's and Joe's. They help make each other look good or bad, whatever it may be.

You have your view, I have mine. Neither the twain shall meet. And that's the beauty of a message board. And did you not get the "Paint Job" and "Engine" reference?

Paint Job = Coaching staff.
    Engine = Players

I said I was cool with the coaching staff, now let's get some players.

Reading is fundamental.

Last edited by txramsfan; -01-21-2009 at 02:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You have your view, I have mine. Neither the twain shall meet. And that's the beauty of a message board. And did you not get the "Paint Job" and "Engine" reference?

Paint Job = Coaching staff.
    Engine = Players

I said I was cool with the coaching staff, now let's get some players.

Reading is fundamental.

No, I got the metaphor. I just disagree with the way it was used.

The paint job would be the uniforms in my metaphore. The shallow exterior that can hide the important stuff that lies beneath. It has no bearing on how well the car actually performs.

The powertrain would be both the coaches and the players working in smooth harmony in my metaphore, like the engine and transmission do in any high performance vehicle. Each critical to the function of getting to where you want to go.

OMG really? Ah, you'll get know me.