AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What I expect from each draft choice in their rookie season

Here are my hopeful, but reasonable, expectations...

Tye Hill - My expectation is that he will compete for a starting job and, at a minimum, secure the nickel CB role by opening day. Look for him to move to the starting spot by mid-season at the earliest, year 2 at the latest. With his speed, he should have 3-5 interceptions as a rookie. Hill's development is important because, if he plays up to expectations, the Rams will be able to move Ron Bartell to FS, which I believe would be his best position.

Joe Klopfenstein - He's a very polished player, and I suspect he'll adjust to the pro game quickly. Won't be a dominating run blocker as a rookie, but should hold his own in pass protection, while providing a big target over the middle. Would not be surprised to see him catch 4-5 TD passes as a rookie, likely in Red Zone scenarios.

Claude Wroten - Comes into a good situation in which he does not have to start, and will play behind a player he should try to emulate in L'Roi Glover. His biggest value as a rookie will be to come in on passing downs and provide an inside pass rush, while keeping Jimmy Kennedy fresh. By his third year, when Glover will likely be close to retirement, he could and should be a starter.

Jon Alston - He will become a fan favorite as a rookie, despite the fact that he likely won't be a starter on the defense. Look for him to make big hits on special teams and pressure the QB in blitz packages. He may have only 20-30 tackles as a rookie, but I wouldn't be shocked to see him have 5-6 sacks.

Dominique Byrd - Will see a lot of action in two TE sets that Linehan likes to use. Will compete with Klopfenstein for the primary TE role, though I suspect Klop will win out there. He'll make a few big catches over the middle as a rookie.

Victor Adeyanju - If the Rams are going to run 3-4 sets, he's a good fit for the DE spot there. Also look for him to be rotated in on running plays, as he can hold up at the point of attack better than Hargrove and possibly even Little. Won't be flashy, but will contibute.

Marques Hagans - If there's one player you want to watch in preseason, its Hagans. If he can (1) catch the ball cleanly on PRs and (2) make the first defender miss and gain positive yards consistently, he'll win the PR job. You might see him run a trick play or two, but perhaps not as a rookie.

Tim McGarigle - Despite being a late choice, I expct he'll make the team. The team needs depth at the inside LB spot for running downs and the 3-4 set, and right now his only real competition is Brandon Chillar (who might play SLB) and Trev Faulk. If he can help on special teams, that will solidify his spot.

Mark Setterstron - I give him no more than a 50/50 shot to make the team. As a guard, he's on the small side. He'd probably do better as a backup center, but there will be competition at that spot from Larry Turner and undrafted free agents Derogy and Raiola.

Tony Palmer - Another longshot to make the roster, particulary if Terrell and Incognito develop as the team hopes. Will have to outplay Blaine Sapaia to have a real shot. Has good size and experience though, so he has some hope.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -05-03-2006 at 11:01 AM.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: What I expect from each draft choice in their rookie season

Good post, Av but why do you think that Bartell's best position may be FS? Did he play corner or safety in college? Also I would think Wroten will be starting (all things remaining equal) by his 2nd year. Don't know if Glover has that much left in the tank.

WHAT SAY YE?

I seem to recall reading that Bartell played some FS in college, though he was primarily a CB. He has the right size (6'1, 208) for the FS position, and with his speed, I can see him doing well there.

Hill, by contrast, is a true cover corner.

As for Glover, I hope we can get two good years out of him. If Wroten is good enough to beat him out in 2007, though, that wouldn't be such a bad thing.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

....and somewhere down the line someones bound to get nicked. If you want to make God laugh tell him your plans.
    Prepare to be amazed.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Nice post man! You really think Hill can get 3 - 5 interceptions this year? Maybe step in like Nathan Vasher did?
    RamsFan16

Drew4EverRams is offline Registered User

I think Hill may lead our CB`s in tackles,im not so sure he`ll have a good number of interceptions!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Drew4EverRams
    I think Hill may lead our CB`s in tackles,im not so sure he`ll have a good number of interceptions!
    That's a good point. He may be the best tackling corner we have from day 1. He's pretty physical for such a little fella.

Another category I see him leading is in Passes Defended. While his hands may not be the greatest, his coverage skills keep him on the ball, and you just know every OC on our schedule will be testing the 5'10" rookie. His PD numbers could be HUGE.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Defensively, Hill will start because Fisher has been injured quite a bit and really hasn't been seen by insiders recently as "in shape". He'll get burned by veteran WR's in the NFL, that's a given. I hope he has a short memory span when it comes to that. I would love to see him have 3-5 interceptions but I believe if he had hands that matched his speed he would have been a WR in college.

Wroten has the potential to be a starter due to the fact all the positions on the D Line outside of Little's is wide open for the taking. It will be all up to the discipline of Wroten as to where he plays. Honestly, he could start Game 1 or be the Rams version of Ricky Williams. It's up to him.

I don't expect much from Alston other than a special teams player. Too much of a tweener to start at LB but could be an excellent gunner on punts and kick offs.

I really know nothing about the others so I'll wait and make a judgement when I see them.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Great Post.... Hill would dominate in that nickelback if he doesnt get a starting CB job..... hill with all that speed could just blitz and it would be awesome if he gets some sacks/tackles behind the line

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Yeah, its great that Hill is so fast, and ya know what, regardless of his undersize...DAT BOY CAN HIT!! like ramsfan4ever said...he could get a few sacks/tackles in there, I think (if there is one I forget) he could get defensive rookie of the year, if he's all what we think he can be (by getting sacks/tackles and/or interceptions)

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Rampage39 is offline Registered User

I doubt he will be DROY, that award usually goes to linebackers or defensive ends because of the huge numbers of tackles and sacks that they can accumulate.

bigredman is offline Registered User

This just in from the St. Louis Press.....
    Tye Hill - "Yeh man...my man Avenger says I should be starting by mid-season. That's Wack. I'm coming in as the number 1 selection, I have the skills and the speed to be a starter opening day"
    Joe Klopfenstein - "While I respect AvengerRAm, I realize I have alot to learn. The coach has told me that he expects to bring in some veteran TE's to help me learn. One thing I disagree with AR is that I have very good speed, and I feel I can break it for six anytime I'm on the field, not just in the redzone."
    Claude Wroten - "What's this trash I hear from AvengerRam that I will start in three years. I have respect for LG and all, but come on, that old man can't keep me down for three years. I'm coming into camp hard man. I know I've made some mistakes, but I'm a Pro now. By the end of the year, that job is mine!"
    Jon Alston - "I don't know. AvengerRam has placed alot of pressure on my shoulders for my rookie year. Realistically, I know I have to bulk up, get stronger, and learn the game at the pro level. I just hope to contribute on special teams, and try and learn the strong safety position."
    Dominique Byrd - "Damn right I'll compete. I respect Klop and all, but I'm coming into training camp with the goal of making the team and becoming the starter. I heard what AvengerRam said about Klop getting all them touchdowns. Well touchdown this man!!!!"
    Victor Adeyanju - "Ain't no one going to run over me. I'll be the starter next year fo sure!"
    Marques Hagans - "I don't know why in the hell they drafted me."
    Tim McGarigle - "I'm hoping to make the team, and contribute on special teams my first year"
    Mark Setterstron - "Hey, I'm just happy I got drafted. I expected to be a free agent. I'll give it my best and see what happens"
    Tony Palmer - "I'm coming into this with all my heart. I'll make this team. Watch me."

(Disclaimer: The above is not an actual report by any St. Louis media outlet, it meant purely to bust AvengerRam's jewels in jest!)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Okay, but which of those guys is the one who keeps calling my house and then hanging up?

chiguy is offline Registered User

That's me actually.