Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

What I Saw from Section 113

Well, here a couple notes of what I saw from the Edward Jones Dome on my trip this weekend.

-The officiating to start the game was absolutely horrible. I saw two blatent holding calls that were missed, one on the long pass and run from Hass to Jurevicius. We may as well have dropped all 11 defenders into coverage, because they weren't getting to Hass at all at first, part legit and part from some non-calls, IMO. The PI call on Fisher was absolutely horrendous. It amazes me that the Rams can be called for that as PI, but opposing DBs can practically take Kevin Curtis's head off with no flag on the play.

-Michael Hawthorne shouldn't just be benched. He should be cut. But unfortunately, the Rams don't seem to have someone else they feel confident in back there. Furrey has me on the edge of my seat, waiting to see if he makes a mistake in coverage. If I'm OJ Atogwe, then I'm seeing an opportunity and trying to make the most of it right now. Reports seemed to suggest he was coming along slowly. That strategy didn't work well for Jason Shivers, so hopefully OJ can get in the action where we need him most. I'll give Schottenheimer all the credit in the world and eat a big plate of crow about Chris Johnson, but he sure hasn't looked right about Hawthorne.

-Bulger started slowly, and heard it from the home fans. But he settled down and looked good for the rest of the game. He threw what seems to be the standard "what the heck were you thinking?" interception, but was perfect on both touchdown passes.

-I wish the Rams could shore up the interior of the offensive line, because it looks like the bookends are going to be fine between Pace and Barron. The interior rush however is creating a problem, and I wasn't surprised to see Timmerman on the sideline late in the game.

-I love the screen pass to Steven Jackson, but how many times after the initial successful play did we try to go back to it? Seemed like we tried it another time or two and it didn't work out quite as well, but that first time... MAN!

-One handed grab by Torry Holt. Is there any question he isn't one of the top five receivers in this league? Not only that, but he hurts his knee and then comes back and brings in a touchdown. What a talent.

-Our defense at the end of the first half was embarassing. The ease at which the Seahawks were able to move on us had me shaking my head through the break.

-I don't care what you think of Marmie. Personally, I'm leaning toward the side of telling him to start working on his resumé. But like him or not, Ram defenders were blowing assignments and missing tackles like crazy yesterday. It's a coach's job to have them playing well and efficiently, but it's also a player's job to do what he's supposed to be doing. The 18-yard TD run by Alexander was something the players should have been ashamed of. They need to get the job done, and Marmie needs to alter the scheme if they can't adequately enact it.

-Here's what I think of that punt return. One, Terry Fair has no business taking himself out of the game. Two, I'm not even sure Shaun McDonald should be the back-up return man when we're down a receiver and will be counting on him to be fresh as our slot guy. Three, his ball security could have been better, but he wasn't being careless from what I saw, so I think it was primarily just a really good strip by the Seahawk who did it. Four, had the Rams got the touchdown on the drive before, there probably would have been less pressure to try and make something happen on this return, since the Rams would only need the field goal to take a one-point lead. You can't blame this on McDonald, because most teams aren't going to give up 37 points and still have a chance to win the game. I personally believe this team will go as far as their defense will allow. We're not going to have a good season if we maintain our current average of allowing nearly 30 points a game.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What I Saw from Section 113

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    One handed grab by Torry Holt. Is there any question he isn't one of the top five receivers in this league? Not only that, but he hurts his knee and then comes back and brings in a touchdown. What a talent.
    And he made it look so effortless. He is truely amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    Here's what I think of that punt return. One, Terry Fair has no business taking himself out of the game. Two, I'm not even sure Shaun McDonald should be the back-up return man when we're down a receiver and will be counting on him to be fresh as our slot guy. Three, his ball security could have been better, but he wasn't being careless from what I saw, so I think it was primarily just a really good strip by the Seahawk who did it. Four, had the Rams got the touchdown on the drive before, there probably would have been less pressure to try and make something happen on this return, since the Rams would only need the field goal to take a one-point lead. You can't blame this on McDonald, because most teams aren't going to give up 37 points and still have a chance to win the game.
    I agree, you can't blame McDonald. There were plenty of mistakes made throughout the entire game and he shouldn't have to shoulder them all. And as much as I've ripped Fair, I wouldn't have blamed the loss on him either, although I will never get over the fact that he quit on his teammates.

talkstoangels61 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike
    And he made it look so effortless. He is truely amazing.

I agree, you can't blame McDonald. There were plenty of mistakes made throughout the entire game and he shouldn't have to shoulder them all. And as much as I've ripped Fair, I wouldn't have blamed the loss on him either, although I will never get over the fact that he quit on his teammates.

Now has any played a game and was so tired that it might impeed his play on a punt return?.......Maybe he was winded and had faith in Shaun to get the job done!!!!...................Actually the guy might have a ligitimate reason for not returning the punt! With the playing time that he gets i'm sure that if he were able to be out there don't you think he would have been? Any competitor that plays sports would always want the chance to make a play! Now if he were a starter and had a set position on the team then i might ? his antics.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by talkstoangels61
    Now has any played a game and was so tired that it might impeed his play on a punt return?.......Maybe he was winded and had faith in Shaun to get the job done!!!!...................Actually the guy might have a ligitimate reason for not returning the punt! With the playing time that he gets i'm sure that if he were able to be out there don't you think he would have been? Any competitor that plays sports would always want the chance to make a play! Now if he were a starter and had a set position on the team then i might ? his antics.
    You want to give Fair a pass, fine, I won't. Tired after playing one series, please. No heart, plain and simple. But don't take my word for it, Fair himself admitted after the game that he should have been in the game, wished he could have it over and felt he let his teammates down.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

If Fair was in fact tired, he could have just stood in there and called a fair catch. That requires all of nothing from him, and in hindsight, would have resulted in better things for us in terms of actually having a shot for the win.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I would think that it should be Bob Ligashesky's decision on who should be catching the ball.
    Are the players making decisions that coaches should be making?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]