Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What if?

The recent story of the NBA Referee who bet on games he officiated got me thinking...

What if it came to light that one of the refs in the Rams/Patriots Super Bowl bet on the Patriots in that game? What would you do?
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -08-16-2007 at 04:31 PM.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Re: What if?

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The recent story of the NBA Referee who betted on games he officiated got me thinking...

What if it came to light that one of the refs in the Rams/Patriots Super Bowl bet on the Patriots in that game? What would you do?
    I would not be surprised, the whole game was fishy. Fixing games has already been proven in baseball, basketball and boxing, so I'm sure it has taken place in football too.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Okay, but I'm not asking whether you think the game was fixed.

What I'm asking is what you would do if it came to light that it was. Would you stop watching the game? Would you demand the title be somehow forfeited? How about awarding the Rams the first pick in next year's draft as compensation?

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont think you can do anything unless you can prove that the patriots cheated. The fact that a ref took a bribe would be intervening criminal conduct and i dont think that you can penalize the patriots for that. The patriots had a great strategy in that game. They knew that they couldnt stop us without holding and grabbing so thats what they did. They took the risk that the refs wouldnt make the calls. Unless the patriots themselves were part of the conspiracy (ie if robert kraft paid the refs), i dont think you can do anything.

Part of this is cause and effect. You cant necessarily point to a specific bad call and say that it cost the rams the game in sb 36. Warner throwing the INT for a td had nothing to do with the refs as an example.

I would be outraged of course, but i wouldnt expect that anything would be done to change history.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I would canis femalas and moan about it 'til I was blue in the face. I would then begin an e-mail campaign to the office of Roger Goodell to make the Rams whole. I would not demand a reversal of titles, because who's to say the Rams for definite would have won w/o fixed officiating. However, I would expect something along the lines of extra draft picks, additional un-capped salary allocation, .........I don't know, something.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

If it were so, I'd like Goodell to start all press conferences and statements with "The Great St Louis Rams" something something something...........and decree that all NFL coverage start with Rams news and highlights. And, the Rams would be on National TV as equal to or more than Indy.

Wouldn't that be cool!
    Semper Fi!

badmoforamfan is offline Registered User

Rematch?

If it was found that the game was indeed fixed I would expect nothingless than a forfeit of the Patsies title.

I could see it now..On opening day the Patsies introduced as a TEAM would meet the Rams at the fifty with Lombardi in tow and proceed to armwrestle for it. Kurt would then smack the resevoir of a dimple off of Bradys chin and raise the trophy victorious yet again.

I will eternally despise the Pats. The same kind of hatered I keep in stock for the Whiners and the Seagulls.
    Last edited by Nick; -08-16-2007 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Removed political comment
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Maybe not now, but soon.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would have the Patriots stripped of the Lombardi Trophy and given to the RAMS. Thus changing the history of the NFL and the so called Patriot Dynasty.

I would also have the ref or refs in question hunted down like the dogs they are and brought to trial. The trial being held at the Edwards Jones Dome...guess who the jury is? That's right the 60 odd thousand fans that fill those seats at the Dome.

Needless to say the refs would be wearing stripes with much longer numbers on them for many many years.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I would have the Patriots stripped of the Lombardi Trophy and given to the RAMS. Thus changing the history of the NFL and the so called Patriot Dynasty.

I would also have the ref or refs in question hunted down like the dogs they are and brought to trial. The trial being held at the Edwards Jones Dome...guess who the jury is? That's right the 60 odd thousand fans that fill those seats at the Dome.

Needless to say the refs would be wearing stripes with much longer numbers on them for many many years.
    Oh, also I have to admit I've never banged the keys on the keyboard as hard as I did responding to this thread. GAWD I'm aggrevated! This really opened an old wound!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

I wouldn't stop watching football. I would also not be shocked - surprised maybe, but not shocked.

As far as compensation, I really don't think there is any. As far as I'm concerned, the NFL condoned Belicek's muggings, but when it came to Manning, a legend in the making, decided it was time to clean things up.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Arrow Re: What if?

Quote Originally Posted by Richbert88 View Post
    If it were so, I'd like Goodell to start all press conferences and statements with "The Great St Louis Rams" something something something...........and decree that all NFL coverage start with Rams news and highlights. And, the Rams would be on National TV as equal to or more than Indy.

Wouldn't that be cool!
    THere we go

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

ASTERISK!!! ASTERISK!!!!

Seriously - I would expect to see the official records changed to show that cheating did take place, and that it did in fact affect the outcome of the game, thus giving the Rams a TIE. This means that both the Rams and the cheaters, um, patsies, would each have rings and trophies. Of course, the ref(s) guilty of such a crime would be required to pay each member of the Rams due compensation. Giving us the entire title would be better, but the game would have been tainted, so we would never know what the honest outcome would have really been. A tie would be the only fair thing to do.
    In addition, I would expect Goodell to issue an apology to the Rams and their fans on behalf of the NFL. Part of this apology would be having Brady admit that he did help write that song on the youtube video. (You know which one I mean...."Brady, you're my knight in shining armor, and I love you.....")

denverram is offline Registered User

I would not be suprised at all. The officiating was really bad. The Patsy's defensive plan was to tackle Marshall on every play.

I think we are all very aware of the possibility that a team named the Patriots was given a little help that season.

Let us not forget the tuck rule against the raiders. I am sorry that was a fumble by little Tommy Brady, Raisers were robbed as well as the Rams that season.

By the way we would have pounded the Raiders in the SB that year!!!

See ya

prof22693 is offline Registered User

Talking Re: What if?

Quote Originally Posted by RamsFanSam View Post
    ASTERISK!!! ASTERISK!!!!

Seriously - I would expect to see the official records changed to show that cheating did take place, and that it did in fact affect the outcome of the game, thus giving the Rams a TIE. This means that both the Rams and the cheaters, um, patsies, would each have rings and trophies. Of course, the ref(s) guilty of such a crime would be required to pay each member of the Rams due compensation. Giving us the entire title would be better, but the game would have been tainted, so we would never know what the honest outcome would have really been. A tie would be the only fair thing to do.
    In addition, I would expect Goodell to issue an apology to the Rams and their fans on behalf of the NFL. Part of this apology would be having Brady admit that he did help write that song on the youtube video. (You know which one I mean...."Brady, you're my knight in shining armor, and I love you.....")
    AHHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHA:l

lol you guys are something

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Okay, but I'm not asking whether you think the game was fixed.

What I'm asking is what you would do if it came to light that it was. Would you stop watching the game? Would you demand the title be somehow forfeited? How about awarding the Rams the first pick in next year's draft as compensation?
    I already figure that it does happen and I have accepted it. The game is not pure. It is not black and white, even though the zebras are black and white. The calls are subjective and the zebras are actually human and they are prone to favoring certain players or certain teams. I am sure the officials have changed the outcome of games and they will continue to do so in the future.

Football for me is entertainment and it is about team work, unity, chemistry, and loyalty. I know every team and every fan wants to win the Super Bowl, but for me, a good game is what I want, players that I can root for and be proud of regardless of the final numbers on the scoreboard.

As far as the Pats win that year, I wish they could take it away and leave it unclaimed. The raiders, the steelers and the rams were all potential winners that year, yet the pats snuck through each of those games to win it all by the skin of their teeth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast