Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: What If The Problem Has Been Bulger, Not Linehan?

I think good QB's just win. My prime example being McNabb. When has he ever had more weapons than Owens and Westbrook...for a year and a half. They still manage to be a tough team to beat just about every year.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Warner4prez View Post
    I think good QB's just win. My prime example being McNabb. When has he ever had more weapons than Owens and Westbrook...for a year and a half. They still manage to be a tough team to beat just about every year.
    One word: DEFENSE

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

two words: pass protection

rammiser is offline Registered User

Three words: good front office.
    Just Fix It

theodus69 is offline Registered User

The longer we wait on picking up a franchise QB , the longer we are gonna suck!!!!! Always hope the boy does well but he always seems to leave me saying WTF!!!!!!!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Personally I think Bulger is gun-shy; and little wonder why. Poor fella is getting his head handed to him all too often. Jim Everette was once thought to be the answer to the Rams QB woes once but then be became gun-shy and never got back his nerve.

Its Linehan's responsibility to build a line around Bulger and scheme an offensive system to maximise Bulger's talent...it hasn't happened yet that Linehan has done either

An offensive line is perhaps the hardest thing to build. Its not like one can get some all-star WR or other skill possition player and expect to have a winning season. The adding of Randy Moss to the Pats worked because the Pats had an offensive line. Pretty Boy Brady wouldn't be much without that line--nor would R. Moss either

Josh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Three words: good front office.
    4 words: we need another tightend!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Ahhh back from a surf trip and we got a win, how nice!

I liked this original post, I thought it was a well written and inspired thought. Then I noticed we went down the "he gets paid to paid to be a top quarterback, if he doesn't perfom, then we should cut him" line of thinking and I had to laugh.

On the Stephen Jackson post the popular thought is he is supposed to "suck it up and think of the team first!" fully knowing that they could trade or cut him at any given moment and not getting any money unless it's guaranteed.

So if I get this straight, a professional athlete is supposed to take just enough money to make a decent living, risking lifetime injury and then for making that sacrifice as well as a lifetime of playing the game, his reward is to be slammed if he isn't the best in the world and to be cut and sent to the streets if he doesn't perform up to the expectations of the fans and the team that originally requested their services... Let me pass that on to Marc and Stephen and I am sure one will be the best ever and the other will be in camp tomorrow!

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by MoonJoe View Post
    Ahhh back from a surf trip and we got a win, how nice!

I liked this original post, I thought it was a well written and inspired thought. Then I noticed we went down the "he gets paid to paid to be a top quarterback, if he doesn't perfom, then we should cut him" line of thinking and I had to laugh.

On the Stephen Jackson post the popular thought is he is supposed to "suck it up and think of the team first!" fully knowing that they could trade or cut him at any given moment and not getting any money unless it's guaranteed.

So if I get this straight, a professional athlete is supposed to take just enough money to make a decent living, risking lifetime injury and then for making that sacrifice as well as a lifetime of playing the game, his reward is to be slammed if he isn't the best in the world and to be cut and sent to the streets if he doesn't perform up to the expectations of the fans and the team that originally requested their services... Let me pass that on to Marc and Stephen and I am sure one will be the best ever and the other will be in camp tomorrow!
    Just to clarify, yes, I do think Bulger get's paid to much for his erratic play on the field. In fact, I was stunned when I saw how much we paid him. My initial thought was - WOW, now were stuck with Bulger who may turn out to be a slightly above average qb. Nice move front office -
    And I fully admit I could be wrong. He could turn it around, however at this point I'm concerned with what I see. And yes, preseason matters.

..Unfortunately for any team that was 3-13, pre-season matters.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon
    The adding of Randy Moss to the Pats worked because the Pats had an offensive line. Pretty Boy Brady wouldn't be much without that line--nor would R. Moss either
    Exactly right! And the one game the line did allow pressure on Brady is the one game they lost.......the Super Bowl.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Exactly right! And the one game the line did allow pressure on Brady is the one game they lost.......the Super Bowl.
    ...and how sweet that was!!!!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    Just to clarify, yes, I do think Bulger get's paid to much for his erratic play on the field. In fact, I was stunned when I saw how much we paid him. My initial thought was - WOW, now were stuck with Bulger who may turn out to be a slightly above average qb. Nice move front office -
    And I fully admit I could be wrong. He could turn it around, however at this point I'm concerned with what I see. And yes, preseason matters.

..Unfortunately for any team that was 3-13, pre-season matters.
    I think the money that Bulger was paid could have been too high as well, but I have to look back at the circumstances of when it was paid. I don't think the Rams were interested in letting him go and developing younger quarterbacks as they were confident in his abilities at the time. We may never know what his abilities could have been since he faces so many train wrecks at the the hands of the front line. I would think most agree the more a quarterback get driven to the turf, the more he breaks down. I have often heard that doctors compare an NFL game as the same as going through an automobile accident physically. I wouldn't be the same after 48 car crashes, would any one here? My point being hindsight is 20/20 and I have accepted that Bulger is the quarterback of the day, and I personally think given the protection, he would do great for us.

As far as pre-season I agree to that it counts, but to me the score doesn't. Yes it is always better to win, but that is not what pre-season is intended for. IMO it is to get the veterans back in game form, get the rookies rolling in the program and then decide who to keep and who to cut for the bubble riders. If you look at who San Diego started compared to who we started it really wasn't evenly matched. That win was a gimme.

If I were to rate our team today I would say that first I am not sold on Linehan. I would have cut him after the first year. I think his play calling and decision making are mediocre at best. (did any one catch Torry Holt giving him eyes again by the way on Saturday night?). I think he has lost the team and only the guys that love the game more than who they follow, will play any where near the level they are capable of. Do you think that if we were really a contender, Jackson would have been out this long? I also think our offense is two years away from being good, given the rotating coordinators we have dealt with and the amount of injuries, we just wont be ready. I think our defense is good, but not Superbowl level. Hasslett is one of those coaches like Dennis Green that is always one bad decision away from going over the top. I think our special teams is finally ok, except I think we will miss Wilkins tackling more than we thought.

I guess my point is that Jackson's holdout and Bulger's play are really insignificant to the problem we have with Linehan and the people who own the team and make the decisions. I really don't see us going better than 7 and 9.

Joe

Dominating D is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Personally I think Bulger is gun-shy; and little wonder why. Poor fella is getting his head handed to him all too often. Jim Everette was once thought to be the answer to the Rams QB woes once but then be became gun-shy and never got back his nerve.

Its Linehan's responsibility to build a line around Bulger and scheme an offensive system to maximise Bulger's talent...it hasn't happened yet that Linehan has done either

An offensive line is perhaps the hardest thing to build. Its not like one can get some all-star WR or other skill possition player and expect to have a winning season. The adding of Randy Moss to the Pats worked because the Pats had an offensive line. Pretty Boy Brady wouldn't be much without that line--nor would R. Moss either
    He was the answer for many years before he became gun-shy.

I guess 2006 did not count....?????

The longer we wait on picking up a franchise QB , the longer we are gonna suck!!!!! Always hope the boy does well but he always seems to leave me saying WTF!!!!!!!
    I agree theodus69 we do need to start grooming another QB for the future. I thought we had that guy in Fritz.... However, Bulger has the talent and is still one of the best QB's in the league.... When he has the right support a good blocking line, and dominating pounding RB, and consistent play from the WR and TE he can compete with the best QB's in he league.

Go Rams
    Last edited by HUbison; -08-20-2008 at 01:48 PM.

renrawtruk is offline Registered User

Ok, well I hate to be the one to jump straight to this point, but I watched the AZ/KC game on NFL channel last night, and Warner got the start for the Cardinals. The very first play from scrimmage Warner floated a 45 yard beauty to Boldin. The play was broken up by the CB reaching in there, but the pass was dropping in the bread basket on a long streak route. I couldn't help but instantly think how much I miss the long ball with some touch on it. Wow, we just don't have that "shot in our bag".

I'm not saying Warner was perfect, as there were a few errant throws, but there were certain things that just reminded me of how someone who is a "natural" at the position plays....he does a great job of sliding in the pocket (or stepping up) to elude the rush, all the while focusing downfield to find the best open man.

Bulger's frame is such a detriment as he needs his whole body behind his throw. Can't you just picture when he's being pressured and he throws the ball and tries to avoid getting hit by curling up to the left in an almost fetal position??? I hate that. Warner takes the hit, but makes a complete follow-through on his throws. Martz may have got him banged up, but the guy's a warrior, and a better QB that Marc Bulger could ever hope to be, IMHO.

I agree that Bulger's had a couple seasons where he earned his paycheck and helped this team win games, but I can honestly say that I would be more interested in this teams potential if Trent Green got the nod.

YodaRam Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dominating D View Post

When he has the right support a good blocking line, and dominating pounding RB, and consistent play from the WR and TE he can compete with the best QB's in he league.

Go Rams
    Under those conditions, sign me up! I'll be the Rams quarterback!

RAM ON!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast