Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bruce4life is offline Registered User

What is Jason Smith???

Is he a bust, stud, work in progress, solid player?

In your opinion what is he?

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: What is Jason Smith???

Yet to be determined, but no way am I ready to call him a bust nor do I think he will become one.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

at the moment, a solid player with the potential to be a stud with more playing time

shower beers is offline Registered User

He was playing just fine before suffering a serious injury. I think that's about it for now...

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Make this thread in 3-4 years, k?

theodus69 is offline Registered User

ok, he's a left Tackle, Didn't play right last year? Put him where he plays and we shall see what he is.............................maybe drywall.
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

SLSG is offline Registered User

He's a RT that was drafted to be a LT.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

He's currently a work in progress IMO. But in no way shape or form is he done developing...he has the potential to be an elite tackle.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

he improved a whole lot last year..i would expect the same this season. i guess the concussion thing is somewhat scary, but at this point it's not enough to worry too much about, he'll be fine.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I lol'ed man. Not sure what I was expecting out of this thread, but here's my answer:

Jason Smith is the future Left Tackle of the St. Louis Rams.

To judge him at this point is comical.

However I will give the OP this, the question is certainly a refresher from the Bradford, Suh, no free agents, and Vick drull of this offseason. I'll give ya something for that, not sure what, maybe one hand clap.

CanadianRamsFan is offline Registered User

Smith was drafted because he had the most potential of all of the other LT in the draft. Last year he had to adjust to playing from a two point stance to a three. To say he is a bust already is ridiculous. Like another poster said, lets come back to this in 3-4 years.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

That's a complicated question, one that will surely continue to puzzle existential thinkers for centuries to come.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

He is a LT prospect who was taken due to the perception that his upside was greater than the other OTs available in his draft. He was worked into the lineup as an RT, with the understanding that he would eventually move to the left side. He overcame a minor knee injury early in the year and showed great promise in the middle of the season, particularly as a run blocker. He then suffered an unfortunate concussion that caused him to sit out the final games of the season. He is expected to be the opening day starter at LT this year.

Is that enough?

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    He is a LT prospect who was taken due to the perception that his upside was greater than the other OTs available in his draft. He was worked into the lineup as an RT, with the understanding that he would eventually move to the left side. He overcame a minor knee injury early in the year and showed great promise in the middle of the season, particularly as a run blocker. He then suffered an unfortunate concussion that caused him to sit out the final games of the season. He is expected to be the opening day starter at LT this year.

Is that enough?
    See this is what Im talking about, AvengerRam. Yes I know I rant a lot but I am so confused sometimes with the talk hype and the actual stuff going on with the team that it clouds my ability sometimes to put my thoughts into the thread. yes we definitely agree that we cannot evaluate Jason Smith after one year. BUT, yet, its been said that we should talk about this in 3-4 years. 3-4 years? are YOu kidding me? Why would you need all that time to evaluate a T? The Dolphins didn't need to evaluate Jake Long for three years and was an IMMEDIATE STARTER AT LT for them and a good one at that ( only one sack given up his rookie year; total domination) What about that?

Look,I do apologize for my uninformed unnecessary untruths about Jason Smith. But lets face it; we are a rebuilding team, yes. But to say we need 3-4 years to evaluate players ( TO ME) is nonsense. I say two MAYBE three years. WHY? Because quite frankly, I just dont think we have the time for that anymore. Winning doesnt come overnight, but it shouldnt take forever either. I say this: IF Jason smith plays well this year, he is a success and a good pick. But if he isnt, then that also sets the team back and goes against what most people would recommend. And I would not wait another two years to find out otherwise.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I guess we should i hope that every tackle that comes out fo college is a super freak like jake long is. Most tackles don't come out of college and start at left tackle in the NFL, it just doesn't happen often. Smith was coming along at a steady pace and was looking the part before he suffered a knee blow to the head by a 300 pound lineman, and got his unfortunate concussion.

4 years maybe is too long for a player but at least give the guy 2 years and if he doesn't show you ANYTHING, then you may need to look elsewhere or at least get a short term solution while he continues to come along.

Long term winning franchises take time ti build and develop and takes steady improvement and maintenance every year to continue to win. Short term winners like the 2002 Raiders, 2005 Seahawks, etc. can give you 1-2 good years then subsequently topple off the edge of the world.

Would you rather stick your thumb in your mouth and be patient for the consistent winner or would you keep starting over, hoping that you get a Matt Ryan, Torry Holt, Jake Long, Chris Johnson, etc (all first year impact players) in one draft?

3-4 years may have been extreme but don't overreact to a guy who was looking the aprt before he went down with a head injury (btw head injuries aren't like body part injuries where you have to go through intense rehab).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast