View Poll Results: Is Bulger done?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, we need to find a new QB for the near future.

27 47.37%
  • No, just blame the O-Line

30 52.63%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: what is the majority opinion of Bulger?

The problem with your poll is that both choices are accurate.

The Rams DO need to start developing a young QB, AND the O line is currently the biggest problem.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

He is finished. Look what Warner is accomplishing behind a similar O-Line

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by faulk2jackson View Post
    But you do admit that he is a problem????

As others have done, I was going to use Uncle Kurt as my example too. He was finished, beaten and a fluke. Now look at him. In my opinion the Favre's, Montana's and Elway's are exception to the rule on quarterbacks. Most systems are built to "plug" in any quarterback and make it work. Having the exceptional type of quarterback is rare so they have to build for that. Look at Leinart and Palmer, both considered really good coming out of college, but they have struggled. Also I don't think Brady is that good, his line is what made him strong and to me that is shown because all of a sudden Cassel is doing well. Come on the guy hadn't even started since high school.

Do I think Bulger has issues, yes he needs more time to throw the ball and he has not adjusted to the fact the defense's would like nothing better than send him to the hospital. But is he the whole reason this team sucks, NO! I will continue to beat this drum, and the reasons we suck is in this order.

1. Ownership. Too many times allowing non-football people make draft and FO hiring decisions.
    2. Front Office - inept at best, see number one.
    3. Coaching, a few decent coaches, Vermeil, Martz and maybe Haslett. But who else since Robinson has been good? (Note: You have to have some talent to coach, see number 1 and 2).
    4 Players - Phillips, Couch, Byrd, Barron, etc., etc...(Also see numbers 1,2 and 3, this is how it "Rolls down hill")
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

Mooselini is offline Registered User

What kind of poll is this?

He's not the big issue. But he's an issue.

Without a doubt the O-line has played terrible and the biggest issue for us.

When Bulger has time he seems to panic though. Because he's been beaten behind these five guys.

Bulger is a problem, but the least of them. Look at Green. He didn't do much behind the line either.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    He is finished. Look what Warner is accomplishing behind a similar O-Line
    Let me say this as plainly and as nicely as possible...

You are a crazy person.

"Similar O-Line"??? Similar in what way? In the fact that they are both made up of carbon-based life forms?

Arizona's O line has given up 16 sacks in 358 pass plays. That's 4.5%.

The Rams' O line has given up 28 sacks in 284 pass plays. That's 9.9%.

So... when Marc goes back to pass, he is more than twice as likely to get sacked. That's saying nothing of the times he is hit immediately after throwing the ball.

Just another Kurt fan with blinders.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

While there's no arguing with those figures, AV, it must be borne in mind that they don't reveal how many of those sacks were Bulger's own responsibility. Haslett said that the sack many blamed on Pace against the Jets was actually the quarterback's fault... how many others have there been?

This isn't taking sides, by the way; I'm merely presenting the other side of the argument.

lovetheramsnomatterw is offline Registered User

Marc Bulger will play better if we get a better offensive line but I don't think he will ever be as good as he once was. Even when he was a pro bowler I had problems with him. He just lacks that killer instinct for me and he just doesn't produce as well as he should.

In the redzone he has always underachieved in the past and in the present. He can play well between the 20's but once he is in that redzone most likely we are coming away with a field goal.

I think Marc Bulger is more of a game managing type of quarterback then anything. He needs a good running game, and offensive line to be very productive. If he was on the Titans I'm sure he would be a definate pro bowler.

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post
    While there's no arguing with those figures, AV, it must be borne in mind that they don't reveal how many of those sacks were Bulger's own responsibility. Haslett said that the sack many blamed on Pace against the Jets was actually the quarterback's fault... how many others have there been?

This isn't taking sides, by the way; I'm merely presenting the other side of the argument.
    Whatever impact that factor might have, it would not come close to explaining the disparity.

The real question is, how many times has Bulger been able to go back, sit in the pocket, survey the field, and make a throw this year? I'm pretty sure that blind carpenter could count the number on his fingers.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    "No, just blame the O-Line"?? Way to have an objective option as part of your poll.
    Indeed. You're not going to find a true majority opinion on this when the two options to choose from are "Yes we need a new QB" or "No just blame the O-line."

We need Av, our resident master of polls, to create an all-encompassing one.

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by DistantRam View Post

Good point DR.

And it may be you, AV, with the blinders. I don't think Scott's argument was necessarily to place himself as 'another Kurt fan' as you labeled him but rather to indicate that Warner is playing far better than Bulger relative to their respective OL performances.

DistantRam is right in that there's no arguing with the stats you put up in terms of sacks, i.e., AZ / STL. However, my buddy Marcus Bulgerius seems to be out of synch when he does have the (lesser) opportunity to work with the passing game. Thus the point Scott made I believe is reasonable and legit.

I'm trying to support MB, not KW. This is about Bulger but the comparisons of him with other QBs in the league and their OL are simply unavoidable.

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    And it may be you, AV, with the blinders. I don't think Scott's argument was necessarily to place himself as 'another Kurt fan' as you labeled him but rather to indicate that Warner is playing far better than Bulger relative to their respective OL performances.
    How can you possibly say that? Warner is playing far better than Bulger, but so is his offensive line (not to mention that Warner has a better set of WRs right now too).

That's not the point, though. Scott said that Warner and Bulger are playing behind "similar" O lines. That's complete and utter nonsense. The two O lines are entirely dissimilar.

maineram is offline Registered User

Not only the O-line but the backs and tight ends
    New offensive scheme
    Three new young wideouts

All add up to bad QB play for ANY NFL QB !!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Bulger's weakness:
    *Not very out spoken
    Bulgers Strengths:
    *He is supported by other team members
    Does he really have the support of his teammates? If he does then I think most of the lack of leadership talk is overblown. Unless he is undermining the coaching staff, which may have happened a bit with Linehan at the end. I agree that a strong offensive line is most important, but as difficult as it is to find a Favre or a Brady, it may be just as tough or tougher to put together five monsters that work together. Look at Leonard Davis and Gallery. Those were can't miss prospects that had to move inside and still can't exel without good players around them. Plus, everybody wants their team to have a "face".

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    Good point but Warner was not very good when he left us. He went to NY and was awful, Manning took over and the team improve a great deal.
    Are you kidding? Warner was decent in NY. He was 5-2 and had won 4 straight at one point in NY. He was 5-4 when they benched him because Eli got all that press and money. Eli lost six straight before squeaking out the finale against Dallas with both teams well out of the playoff hunt. Eli's QB rating was historically low at 55.
    Last edited by Ventesette; -11-12-2008 at 08:14 PM.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

We need Av, our resident master of polls, to create an all-encompassing one.
    Hehe I was thinking the same thing. When I read the poll question I thought, "Hey thats a good question". So, I see the choices and thought, maybe Av should redo this.

bigredman is offline Registered User

Exclamation Re: what is the majority opinion of Bulger?

It's no secret that I am probably the biggest Marc Bulger fan here on the ClanRam. My opinion of Marc Bulger is much like most of America. He is America's quarterback. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't ask myself; WWMBD? Many of the NFL QB icons owe their existence to Marc. Dan Marino, John Elway, Joe Montana, Dan Fouts, and others borrowed their perennial pro bowl play from the example Marc gave in his pop warner and high school brilliance.

The way his expression never changes, never showing emotion, never giving any indication that he actually enjoys playing football demonstrates a leadership style that others can only emulate and only serves to inspire and motivate his teammates and fans.

I love you Marc Bulger.
    Last edited by bigredman; -11-12-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast