View Poll Results: Why is this year's progress more indicative of a bright future than 2010?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jeff Fisher's leadership.

17 41.46%
  • This year's wins came against better competition.

1 2.44%
  • The Rams key players are younger, and have more upside, than in 2010.

8 19.51%
  • We have stockpiled draft picks to build up the roster more.

4 9.76%
  • Better ownership and front office.

7 17.07%
  • Some other reason (describe).

3 7.32%
  • I'm not convinced that this year is any different from 2010.

0 0%
  • 2010 and 2012 part of same rebuilding trend. 2011 was an anomaly brought on by injuries.

1 2.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: What makes 2012 different from 2010?

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What makes 2012 different from 2010?

Two years ago, the Rams were in a similar situation.

The team went into Week 17 with a record of 7-8, with a final game at Seattle to close out the season.

This year, the Rams are 7-7-1, and will again finish in Seattle (thanks, schedule makers).

So, have the Rams merely returned to where they were 2 years ago, or is this year more of a harbinger of future success.

I believe its the latter, for several reasons.

What do you think?

re: What makes 2012 different from 2010?

I think many of the choices are valid, but for me the key is youth.

I see a ton of upside in guys like Givens, Brockers, Jenkins and Quinn, and I think other players, such as Bradford, Long and Laurinaitis are just reaching their prime.

citr92 is online now Registered User

Re: What makes 2012 different from 2010?

i voted some other reason

the rams have been in every game, minus the patriots game, even if they lost by more than a TD, they were in it at some point

but i think that also applies to the younger players and of course, Jeff Fisher and his staff are a huge difference as well

however, 2 years ago was different, it was like a false sense of rebuilding, sure the rams were better than the previous year, but a lot of those players aren't with the team, some not even in the nfl now

but both teams were, in fact, playoff quality teams, it just came down to a few games and the rams couldn't get it done when they should have
    Last edited by citr92; -12-26-2012 at 02:05 PM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I voted for Fisher. He has given this team instant credibility. Our future is bright.

Ironically, I think we had more of a chance of winning that game against Seattle 2 years ago than we do this coming Sunday. Seattle was not a good team two years ago and we had every opportunity to steal one- we just couldn't beat Charlie Freakin' Whitehurst, for crying out loud. This year is quite different. Although we are MUCH improved with a bright future ahead, Seattle is arguably the hottest team in football right now and going up there to Seattle isn't easy under any circumstances. I'd be shocked if we beat them.

bradwill is offline Registered User

MUCH better GM and HC than before, along with the formal ownership change taking effect.

The Rams' last draft put to shame the last several years of failures and also stockpiled picks for the future at the same time. Fisher has shown the difference of being some noob on the job and also surrounded himself with people like Paul Boudreau as OL coach as well as Snead as GM for that matter.

In summation, the loser mentality has been lifted away. The Rams aren't near elite yet, but they are a helluva lot better team than they were two years ago when they had the easiest schedule in the NFL and were playing Seattle in Game 16 for a playoff spot that they failed rather miserably at.

I don't see a drop-off next year and expect to see further progress. Whether that means the playoffs next year is another question as a lot can go wrong during a football season like a myriad of key injuries at the worst times and other factors like how many FA's the Rams have coming up and the need to have some of them come back PLEASE(SJ, Hayes, Sims), but I like this team a lot more than any Ram group I've seen since the GSOT era ended with a big thud.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

I voted for Jeff Fisher because he's instilled sense of confidence among the players that was lacking and by doing so has changed the losing culture that permeated this team. Along with that Jeff and Les Snead are much better evaluators of talent than we had previously, so with our abundance of draft picks, FA $ and a solid core of young players 2012 is much better than 2010 and the future looks far brighter.

On a somewhat related matter, this morning's NY Times has a brief blurb that the Rams have been underdogs for 13 of their 15 games thus far. They have won 7 of those games tying an NFL record for underdog champs. If they win in Seattle on Sunday they will own the record for all-time in the NFL. That little fact validates so much of why 2012 is better than 2010.

Go Rams!
    live4ramin and clarasDK like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

For me, it is simple....We are no longer owned by buffoons. If we had the previous owners, do you think we would have stole a coach from other suitors such as Fisher? We would still be trying out defensive coordinators that never had HC expereince in the pros. Don't get me wrong, i love Fish and I am glad he is here but our respectability changed with ownership that gets it. They will allow the football knowledgeable folks to line up the pieces required to make us better. A far cry from years past (1979-2010)

I have to say... in addition to the tangible differences, I also have to say that this season feels like one in which "luck" or "fortune" lowered our win total, while in 2010, the opposite was probably true.

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I like the team being this young and still playing well (even though they still make to many penalties for my taste).

But I had to vote for Jeff Fisher leadership..... When I see the Rams play this year they are playing competitive in most games and fight really hard till the last second. I think the team feel they can beat anybody when they enter the field and that have to come from JF.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

For me, the biggest difference maker for THIS season at least, has been the influx of young players at key positions. I know we've been over it before, but when was the last time a rookie class as a whole came in and played like this for the Rams? Would the Rams be at 7 wins if Givens/Brockers/Jenkins/GZ play like, well, rookies? I'd say no. Maybe 5 or 6, and we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I'm not sure who deserves more credit, Fisher or Snead or both (I voted young talent option). Either way, for the first time in a while, I've been excited about how the year has ended, and can't wait for next season.

I agree with Avenger that 2010 felt at the end like a bit of luck, and I didn't have the "warm and fuzzy" that some seemed to catch. This year I do. I feel like the Rams are young, hungry, and only need a few more pieces to be a really good team.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

younger team, with better talent and a better coach.

Last but most importantly is Snead is a better gm than Devaney. We rarely ever got value from rounds 4-7 when Devaney was coach but Snead got us numerous impact players in his first year.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

Well, I have many reasons.
    1) I did not predict this, in 2010 I said the Rams will be 9-7.
    2) I met the players before the season started (last years super bowl at my place) and told them they would be better. (Acually predicted a super bowl win, but that is between Sammy, James and I)(oops not anymore)
    3) This year we did not get beat by the whinners (Always a plus, I don't care who you are. If you love the Rams not getting beat by them is huge)
    4) I am not in getting shot at watching the game (still bitter about that, North Korea, still bitter)
    5) This year I did not see the Rams win a game in person, but we still beat the Redskins (I should have gone)
    AND THE NUMBER 6 REASON THIS YEAR IS DIFFERENT...I WILL BE AT THE GAME!!!! GO RAMS GO!!!
    yes the 12th man will be just a little bit quieter

sosa39rams is online now Registered User

In 2010 our division leader was 7-9. We fought for a playoff spot, with a 6-9 team. That is all.

THE DREAM TEAM

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Fisher's leadership. This was a tougher schedule compared to what Spags dealt with in 2010. I'm sure we'd have run away with the NFC West crown with Fisher calling the shots in 2010.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Aaaargh! Need multiple choice!

But I'll go with younger players core as more promising / upside for Rams future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast