Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What makes me nervous about a RB-based offense....

.....the brevity of any particular RB's career. And when they go down hill, it happens quickly. Case in point; I recently found this archived quote from a Seahawks fan....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk fan on Alexander
    Shaun has been very durable and is coming off a terrific season in which he led the NFC in rushing yards (1.696), and the NFL in touchdowns (20). He’s a safe bet to continue this production for the next 3 – 4 years.
    That was 2004. In 2005, he blew up with 1880 rushing yards and 28 TDs. However, from 2006-2008, he combined for 1636 yards and 12 TDs over 27 games.

So there he sits in 2004 on top of the world, follows it up with 1 great year (not 3 or 4), and then..........nothing.

Now that, of course, is merely anecdotal information of what can happen to these backs, but it does concern me with regards to Jackson. He's on top of the world right not, and hopefully for (dare I say) 3 or 4 more years, but I'd be lying if I said an offense based entirely on 1 RB didn't make me nervous.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: What makes me nervous about a RB-based offense....

Scary, yes, but you just have to be ahead of the curve. Running back is the easiest position to fill. You might not get a great back, and almost certainly not a star back, but usually there's someone who is servicable at any given time. Every year there's a new RB who comes out of nowhere, undrafted, unloved. Willie Parker, for example, undrafted and now the starting RB in the super bowl.

Yes, we don't have a lot of depth behind Jax, but the point that I want to make is that as long as we stay ahead of the curve, and draft a replacement in a couple years so that we can ditch him when he's 30 and starting to go downhill, we should be fine.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Top-shelf RBs clearly are short-lived. Jackson is still young, and should be productive for another 3-4 years. I'm not sure there's much that can be done to extend his career. He's too good to split carries with another back.

That said, they need a better #2 option for this year.

Battering_RAMS is offline Registered User

I agree completely. He will be 26 this year and should have 3-4 great years to come, but what will happen after that? If he stays somewhat injury free he will have a great career untill then. I still like the idea of a slightly more pass oriented offense. Also we seriously need a true #2 RB to emerge this season to spell Jackson.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Battering_RAMS View Post
    I agree completely. He will be 26 this year and should have 3-4 great years to come, but what will happen after that? If he stays somewhat injury free he will have a great career untill then. I still like the idea of a slightly more pass oriented offense. Also we seriously need a true #2 RB to emerge this season to spell Jackson.
    See, that's what I'm talking about guys. Alexander was 27 when Hawk fans thought he "should have 3-4 great years to come."

He had 1.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Possibly the main reason some teams have gone to the 2 back or even 3 back offense?

Putting all our eggs in 1 basket could be a thing of the past?

general counsel is offline Registered User

Certainly one good way way to keep the Big Boy productive for a longer period of time would be to NOT have in the game in the 4th quarter when the game is clearly over. THe debacle at the end of the dallas game last year is the perfect case and point.

From my perspective, while age is part of it, mileage is the bigger issue. The risk of injury is effectively the same on every carry regardless of the game situation. Thus, why take the risk that he gets hurt or worn down in meaningless situations. Same logic for severely limiting carries in pre season. THe more carries they get, the higher risk of injury. There are times where you need the 25-30 touches to win the game and that of course is fine. BUt when you are winning by 3 tds with 5 minutes left you dont need him on the field to pad his stats.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    See, that's what I'm talking about guys. Alexander was 27 when Hawk fans thought he "should have 3-4 great years to come."
    Well, you answered my question before I got a chance to post it. This is even a bit more scary now realizing that Alexander was only one year older than Jax before he started his decline.

BTW he never really had any major injuries as far as I can recall; do you have any theories as to what in the world happened to him? I don't think that the Hawk line was as dominant after Hutchison left but, still, Alexander looked like a shell of himself and I'm not sure why.

WHAT SAY YE?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

If you look at the top 10 rushing teams from last year they all had a committy approach or more than capable number 2 backs like Chester Taylor, Leron McClain, Johnathan Stewart, Derrick Ward, and Darren McFadden to name a few. Top 5 back, with what behind that? No disrespect to Darby, but getting a capable back-up behind S-jax is our biggest need right now, and I bet Devaney and co. are looking around right now

eldfan is offline Registered User

SJ has a history of injuries he has only one complete season without getting hurt under his belt. That makes me nerves. Spags loves the ruining game so it looks like the systems is the key. We should be able to put in other backs that can get the results the coach wants. I’m sure in the future he will draft the kind of backs to fit his systems.
    :ramlogo:

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Good post hub, and great point about the short life span of 'work house' type running backs. Truth be told, this has been a huge concern of mine for a while now, but for a slightly different reason. Let me explain.

In order for a run based offense to be successful the opposing defense has to respect the back carrying the ball. If Jackson goes down, absolutely non of our backs will command any respect and Bulger will be blitzed non stop as usual. Even if Spags and Co pick up another back through free agency or trade, I highly doubt he will be any where near Jacksons level. Until we are able to build a team that is truly a run first team with a star starter, a pure power back, and a complimentary slasher. I also feel that Spags efforts will only be in vain.
    Last edited by mikhal5569; -06-10-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    .....the brevity of any particular RB's career. And when they go down hill, it happens quickly. Case in point; I recently found this archived quote from a Seahawks fan.... That was 2004. In 2005, he blew up with 1880 rushing yards and 28 TDs. However, from 2006-2008, he combined for 1636 yards and 12 TDs over 27 games.

So there he sits in 2004 on top of the world, follows it up with 1 great year (not 3 or 4), and then..........nothing.

Now that, of course, is merely anecdotal information of what can happen to these backs, but it does concern me with regards to Jackson. He's on top of the world right not, and hopefully for (dare I say) 3 or 4 more years, but I'd be lying if I said an offense based entirely on 1 RB didn't make me nervous.
    Undeniably worrisome but I think ,in The Rams' situation, it would have been putting the cart before the workhorse to invest in another top quality back before fixing the rest of the unit upon whose performance the RB's success over a career really,imo, depends.

Look what happened to the Hags' rush unit around Alexander over those years.Hutchinson gone, Heath Evans gone, a lot of O-line turnover/mediocrity in general that led to defenses beating up on the QB and RB both as well as disrupting their O overall.

Sound familiar?

I like the approach that has focused first on improving the platform for the big guy; Brown, Bell, Karney, Smith et al.

I'm hoping Spags is looking to build a rush unit that is like The Broncos a while back. Not the same small zoneblocking O-line but a system that gets the best out of whatever back is plugged into it.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The only thing scary to me about a running style offense is a defence that can't shut down an opponents scoring. Running style offenses are not known for their "quick" scoring threat.

The life of a RB is a short one in most cases with a few exceptions. S. Jacksons groin injury seems to be a re-occuring issue. Perhaps the Rams ought to shop around for a good backup.

Better, having another RB that works within the system as a change up would be better, rather then have one that warms a bench till he is needed.

Still a lot of teams get it done using RUNNING BY COMMITTEE. I would rather the Rams get a FB to take the pressure off Jackson with special skills like catching a ball or running.

However, with a good O-line, one doesn't need a 10-ten draft pick RB to get respectable yards. So there is life without Jackson for the Rams should the worst happen

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I totally agree with what others have said about rbs having a limited shelf life...And i also totally agree with GC about mileage being much more important than actual age...One of the big things that hindered Shaun Alexanders career was that he had a broken hand and his biggest weapon was a brutal stiff arm that allowed him to gain lots of "yac" ....He played with the injury and had to carry the football with his healthy hand and left him basically defenseless to just take tackles when hit rather than stiff arm his way into more yardage

A-Web is offline Registered User

I agree, but arguing about Shaun is pointless. We all know what really caused THAT breakdown...

Madden...If Jackson ever did anything for the Rams worthy of getting him on the cover of Madden, I would sell his soul for the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast