RamWraith is offline Registered User

What a new culture means to Rams' Spagnuolo

March 25, 2009 1:25 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Mike Sando

DANA POINT, Calif. -- We'll have more Rams fans resurfacing if coach Steve Spagnuolo and the new leadership can turn around the organization.

In the meantime, Cardinals fan HornerJD50 provided a Rams-related question (see comments here) for the NFC coaches' breakfast media session Wednesday morning at the NFL owners' meeting.

HornerJD50: Much was made about the Cardinals' losing culture last year, and while the Rams don't have the long history of losing like the Cardinals, recently that's all they have been doing. What is Spags' step-by-step process in changing the culture of his franchise?

HornerJD50 also asked about what traits the Rams would value in a potential successor for quarterback Marc Bulger. I didn't get to that subject, figuring Spagnuolo would dance around it, anyway. I did ask about the culture part. Spagnuolo provided a thoughtful answer.

Spagnuolo: What it means to me is figuring out the character of the people that are in the building. And I'm not talking about just players and coaches, but the whole building. I think this will be a whole organizational effort [and] goal. And I really believe that the people in the building at Rams Park, everybody is headed in the right direction. It's easy right now. It's a honeymoon period. It's new. The test will be a year from now, depending on how the season goes. Will we still be able to feel that way? There is always an element of that throughout the building in order to get everybody headed in the same direction and have a chance at success.

It begins with the players. What I learned most in this league is veteran leadership is tremendously key. We'll try to identify those leaders on our team and hopefully they'll step to the forefront in those tough times that you know you are going to have on no matter what team in the league in a 16-game season. I remember vividly going through it in Philadelphia and I remember Brian Dawkins, Jeremiah Trotter and Donovan McNabb at a certain point in the season deciding, 'Hey, guys.' They did little things with the other players, very unseen things, but they made a big difference in us turning it around.

The Rams have parted with a long list of veteran players since Spagnuolo took over, including Torry Holt, Anthony Becht, Orlando Pace, Drew Bennett, Trent Green and Corey Chavous. The team has gone from being one of the five oldest in the league to being one of the five youngest.

I raised that fact with Spagnuolo. He said sometimes established players must leave before new leaders can feel comfortable emerging. I thought back to a recent conversation with cornerback Ron Bartell. We'll find out if he's one of the new leaders.

Rookie is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

Re: What a new culture means to Rams' Spagnuolo

Everyone loves the attack defense? As a Bear fan I watched the famous 46(Doug Plank) defense. The only thing special about it was this. The Bears throw everything at you and you need to stop it. The Bears at that time in History had everything working for them and took advantage of it! The league has settled down and we now know better.

ardavandavari is offline Registered User

I Think bulger makes pro bowl this year... Do you guys live my avatar

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Damn. One of the five youngest teams? I like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Damn. One of the five youngest teams? I like that.
    Yea, I agree moose. The Rams have been needing to get younger for awhile.

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Wow, I was unaware we are now one of the Five Youngest teams. That's remarkable considering we were one of the oldest this past season. And we really didn't do anything besides cut Pace and Holt.

I really, really like the sound of that
    RamsFan16

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

I agree RF16, and it's nice knowing that during the rebuilding phase, a lot of these guys will be around when it's done. Oh and we also got rid of Fakir Brown and I don't remember how old Bennett was, but he wasn't young.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Really excited to see who will emerge as THE leader(s) of our young team, either side of scrimmage.