Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: What, other than winning, would improve fan attendance at Rams games?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What, other than winning, would improve fan attendance at Rams games?

The biggest draw for any sports franchise is a winning team.

However, some cities support their teams through thick and thin. I think its safe to say that St. Louis is not currently on that list of cities. While there is a loyal fanbase that attends home games, it is not large enough to prevent situations like yesterday's game in which the stands were filled with fans of the opposing team.

So how (again, other than the obvious answer of "winning more") do the Rams fix this problem?

I have a theory.

I think that downtown St. Louis is part of the problem. While, for someone like me, who attends one game a year and stays at a hotel within a couple of blocks of the EJD, its fine, I could understand why the locals might not be all that excited about fighting the traffic to come to the downtown area.

This is why I believe that the Rams will ultimately stay in St. Louis, but move out of downtown. There are sites that could be easier to access, and have sufficient land to build an array of modern hotels, restaurants, sports bars and the like near the stadium. I have to believe that this would be a draw for the local community, and would make going to Rams' home games an event, rather than an inconvenience.

Agree? Disagree?

macrammer is offline Registered User

Re: What, other than winning, would improve fan attendance at Rams games?

AV,

I went to St Louis for my first game recently (bash) and I saw general apathy regarding Rams. I had a tough time finding any Ram fans and when I "did" they did not know any current players on the roster. I suggest there is a marketing glitch with the Rams as they try to connect to St Louis. Moon and I were toured around by a local and his feeling was the Rams have never really connected well with St Louis. With only 8 games a year, he felt that the Rams needed to more visible within the community to inspire a deeper fan base.
    laram0, mh-i and Haste like this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Moving out of downtown might be a good way to go. A move out into the county would certainly make everything more accessible.

Ultimately, I just think teams like the Steelers, Packers, and Bears have a fanbase that has history and tradition with them. It's not that St. Louis fans aren't capable of that....the Cardinals make that point obvious. And it's not that St. Louis is a "baseball town". Baseball fans are typically football fans as well. But the history and tradition simply aren't there yet.

Hopefully, in a few years, that tradition will be rooted down.
    Goldenfleece and laram0 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

A long term commitment to the city (or the suburbs) would help. The Rams are a team in limbo, and given that fans have been burned before with the football team leaving town, that can't help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    laram0 likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    A long term commitment to the city (or the suburbs) would help. The Rams are a team in limbo, and given that fans have been burned before with the football team leaving town, that can't help.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    I'm sure that the media's repeated efforts to stir the L.A. pot has not helped.
    live4ramin and Goldenfleece like this.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'm sure that the media's repeated efforts to stir the L.A. pot has not helped.
    Other than the long run of losing seasons this might be the 2nd culprit on the list. The RAMS need to let the fan base know that they are not going anywhere.
    live4ramin and GreatestShow99 like this.

Stone Cold Tavon Austin is offline Registered User

I know when I went out to St.Louis this summer, I was looking for Rams memorabilia all over and all I could find was Cardinals stuff....I understand why of course, but in Florida regardless of how garbage the Bucs or Phins are every store carries their merchandise. Obviously stores are only going to carry what they can sell, which is a shame and leads me to believe that it is very possible we move cities in the future (not necessarily soon but in the future none the less.)
    lordwhttgr likes this.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

I know I pick on the PLSers a lot, but I don't mean them all. A good portion of PSL holders user their tickets, and are very rabid fans.

Unfortunately, a very large percentage of seats that the cameras focus on are held by PSL holders that would prefer to sell their tickets. Really, how many times do you see the cameras showing fans above the lower bowl at a RAMS game? Yet most other games, they show crowd shots of the whole stadium. This gives a perception that the fans don't support the team.

This is totally untrue.

Now back to the very real issue at large. How do you get more real fan attendance to the games?

First, get rid of the PSLs. For those that still have their season tickets, they get refunded what they paid for their PSLs. They also get first right of refusal to purchase their season tickets every year, no PSL necessary. Any season tickets not spoken for by a certain date can go on a first come first served basis.

Second, get rid of the 4 (or is it two) game limit for persons that cannot afford season tickets. Let them buy as many game tickets as they want/can afford. This is where the RAMS have tossed their fans to the side, and told them they don't want the fan support.

Third, allow fans to be fans. If they are not starting fights, or throwing food/beer all over the people around them, let them cheer their team. The RAMS can throw out those that are calling the ushers to throw out fans that are making too much noise or standing up cheering their team.

Fourth show more replays on the screens, and get rid of all those commercials. People don't spend all that money to go to a game, only to see less of it than the fans at home.

gap
    majorram likes this.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Right now I think there is still some World Series hangover from fans as well. I say that based on the Blues, who had great attendance last year, are on top of the league this year, and are still struggling in the attendance department.

The Blues are averaging just 16,662 per game, down from 17,263 last year. A game earlier this month had less than 15,000 attendance, which wasn't too long after the WS loss.

I do think teams not named the Cardinals need to work harder for their attendance numbers, but this year I think the WS run, and ultimate defeat, probably has sapped a lot of energy from the city for a time.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

I would honestly say winning cures all point blank. All the so cal rams fans who also cheer for the Lakers have seen the lack luster attendence this season at the Staples Center. Every single sports franchise except for maybe a handful of teams alreeady mentioned have trouble when the team is not winning filling the stands full.
    live4ramin likes this.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

As I have gone to the city every home game this year, I can safely say very few people sit above the second tier, except for yesterday. The Rams are a great organization and very kind and welcoming to its fans. I was invited to the field for warm-ups, sat in their film theater and talked to old players and participated in a Star Wars convention before the game. I have never had a problem there with fights or general unruliness like I have had in other stadiums. In fact no where near the problems I have had in other stadiums. As of late, I have noticed that the speakers need repaired or upgraded as its hard to hear the music or announcer at times. The Touchdown and motivational films they show during the game are corny and silly. If they were upgraded, maybe the RAMS would be taken more seriously. The seats are stacked real close together and would be more comfortable if they could be spread out. I do believe we have one of the best stadiums in the league and I have been to Chicago's Soldier Field, Indianapolis's Lucus Oil Stadium, Carolina's Panther Stadium, Nashville and Seattle, all of which are newer and like ST. Louis's Edward Jones Dome the best.

Some of the things I think will help attendance are;

1. A player-fan meet up area where fans can talk to the players, sign autographs after the game. (we always meet the players outside between EJD and Drury Inn so this is not far fetched.)

2. A pro shop in EJD that is open through out the week selling Rams Gear from the game. (Colts have one and so do the Pacers so once again, realistic).

3. Pre game concerts with top name artists. Buy a ticket and get two shows so to say and build interest in the Rams from other sources. (The Super Bowl does it and the Rams have had outdoor free concerts with local talents so once again there is a precedence.)

4. Bring back better looking uniforms. (The NFL has a policy on the helmet, but not the jersey, so why not have all white jerseys with blue numbers or flash back jerseys from the 60's or the all yellow from the 30's.

5. Open a name brand restaurant in the Dome that serves real good expensive food like Logans. Texas Roadhouse or hey maybe a Rams. (There is a Logans Restaurant in the Nashville Stadium)

6. Show the away games live in the EJD. The fans can come every week to the stadium and build a sense of closeness to each other and to the team while spending money on the Rams and building the St. Louis economy.

Just a few ideas.

GO RAMS BEAT NINNIES!!!
    MrBagIndgang and Haste like this.

Haste is offline Registered User

I think it is a marketing and PR issue.

When I was at the Titans game, most people, young and old, did not know who the players were. Some did not even know basic rules of the game (Women especially).

The sound throughout the stadium needs to be repaired and upgraded for clarity. Very hard to hear a ref's voice. The little videos during commercial or play-breaks are downright stupid, and repeat themselves throughout the game.

They need more marketing events with players and fans. The biggest issue is clearly the 'Same old Rams' mantra, whenever they lose. Most casual fans do not believe in them, and frankly don't care much. They need to stress how good this team can be, the turnover that has been done to make this team competitive, and the youth movement.

I also think they should connect with colleges more by giving cheap tickets, for the top bowl area, on a much greater scale than what the Cardinals do. If they did this to colleges around the city, it would get the fan-base they are looking to attract. More college-aged fans learn the team and games, and will socialize with one another. That will help with increasing the number of tickets sold throughout the games and have people use their tickets. Imagine turning the stadium to a Mizzou atmosphere, with fans cheering like crazy.

I do think they could benefit from moving to another location such as Fenton or elsewhere away from the actual city. There is traffic that deters people away and a bunch of things to do in the city instead of going to the game.

Lastly, I think the prices are way too high for what you get like other sporting events. Beer is $9 IIRC, and everything else is pretty much $6+. I think it would be beneficial to partner with a few franchise restaurants (Applebee's for example) and have them keep the same restaurant pricing for their whole menu's they offer. My theory is: Higher quality food at a same or lower price will = more trips to buy food throughout the game= higher profit and better food reputation. Many people won't even buy stadium food due to the prices in addition to paying for tickets.
    GreatestShow99 and lordwhttgr like this.

shower beers is offline Registered User

nickel beer night.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

When I was at the Titans game, most people, young and old, did not know who the players were. Some did not even know basic rules of the game (Women especially).
    ---scoff--- what were those broads doing out of the kitchen anyway? right, fellas?.........right?..........hello?
    RealRam, thoey, MoonJoe and 1 others like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

live4ramin is offline Registered User

The organization hasn't maintained it's brand. I'm no ad exec, but a logo and a brand are not the same thing.

St. Lou worked hard to score the team and worked hard to build a presence in a defined radius to put fans in the seats. They had a radio network that reached out and built a fan base and maintained familiarity. Eventually it rusted down to nothing.

I can no longer stand the stress of driving three and a half hours, let alone a three hour race home with drunk fans like me. I'll watch a game in person if they can play in my back yard.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast