Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HornsCellPhone is offline Registered User

What is the overall consensus on Mike Martz?

Do you Rams fans still think of him as a good HC or has he lost it?

I ask because I've got a funny feeling Martz will be the Saints next HC and I'd like to know what you guys think of him.

Was Martz fired because it was just a needed change for both parties?

Re: What is the overall consensus on Mike Martz?

just have a read through the forum dude, lots of good posts regarding Mad Mike

maineram is offline Registered User

With the names being mentioned as the Rams next head coach, I would rather have Martz here. Martz and an up & coming defensive mind could be very dangerous with this team. Not confident stepping into the unknown with a new top guy. We shall see and I'm optomistic as much as I can be. Whomever get's Martz will be successful though.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

cowboyhater is offline Registered User

I would say the split is probably 50-25-25, 50 percent like him, 25 percent think he's okay with some real problems, and 25 percent think he's not very good.

I think he is a great offensive mind and QB developer, but poor in areas of personnel, clock management, in-game adaptation, special teams treatment, cronyism, and not realizing his limitations and delegating as needed.

In short, I think he is the offensive version of Buddy Ryan.

bruce_wannabe Guest

i would love for him to be our head coach this year still..... he averages 9.6 wins a season in 6 years.... that really hard to come by.. look at bill cowher, in 14 season with the steelers he has had some bad seasons but they have stuck with him

Cowher wins the playoff games he should lose.
    Martz loses the playoff games he should win.

Martz inherited a 13-3 Super Bowl team.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Just out of curiosity cowboy hater, do you include the win on the road last year for the rams in the seattle playoff game and the loss by pitt to new england before sb 36, a game pitt. clearly should have won. did a 15-1 pitt team get to the super bowl last year or did i miss something.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornsCellPhone
    Do you Rams fans still think of him as a good HC or has he lost it?

I ask because I've got a funny feeling Martz will be the Saints next HC and I'd like to know what you guys think of him.

Was Martz fired because it was just a needed change for both parties?
    He is a great HC but dude, if you want to win more than a couple of games by season you have to change QB right now!!! Fitz would do better than Brooks

HornsCellPhone is offline Registered User

I'm assuming we will draft Leinart or Young.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

If you get Martz you'll have to change your name to 'HornsCellPhone(s)' because he'll be pulling them out of his socks every week.

You'll win more than you lose...................

STLRAMSFAN Guest

IMO good OC who inherited a superbowl team loaded with talent. He is not a good HC and was highly overrated as a coach. As evidence by the lack of interest around the league. Al Davis in Oakland even retracted his desire for looking at Martz by saying when he was asked the question he thought it was about Martz being the OC not the HC. I don't think to many teams think he is anything more then an OC.

Martz had a rough time with the OL, ST, TE, FB, and the entire Defense during his years as the HC. All of which were in good shape when he took the helm. He also over the last few years has not been able to run the ball consistently. Martz passing game has been his staple and his biggest strength. However it helps when you inherit Faulk in his prime and two of the best WRs even today in Bruce and Holt. He also inherited Warner who he helped bring along as the OC and he did develop Bulger.

Do I miss Martz no not at all I want a HC that is a good HC that can emphasize the team concept and play sound football in all aspects of the game Defense, ST, OL, Running game, etc.

Martz is drawing very little interest as a HC and for good reason. He could draw a lot of interest, as OC if he wanted to do just that but it doesn’t look like that is likely.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Just out of curiosity cowboy hater, do you include the win on the road last year for the rams in the seattle playoff game and the loss by pitt to new england before sb 36, a game pitt. clearly should have won. did a 15-1 pitt team get to the super bowl last year or did i miss something.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Except for the fact that Seattle was at home, I consider last year's Rams against last years Seahawks a pretty even matchup.

I was actually thinking of the very mediocre '95 Pittsburgh team that made it to the Super Bowl with Neil O'Donnell at the helm.

A 15-1 team in the 2004 AFC North is not as good as the winnner of the then very tough AFC East. I do not know what the line was, but I don't think that the champs beating a rookie QB in the playoffs is that much of an upset.

Of course, today's Pittsburgh team surprised everybody on the road with their sophomore QB against a seasoned pro. (Although arguably the Colts are just world class chokers).

In truth GC, you raise good points, and I don't even really blame the 2003 loss to Carolina on Martz or his play-calling. I am mainly frosted over the 2000 season, where Martz never really adjusted for the INT and defensive problems early on, and we lost to the Saints in round one. I don't think we were mentally prepared for that game, and I largely blame Martz for that. I think we won the first six games of that season, only to finish up 4-7 afterwards.

In 2001, I think the Super Bowl could have been much better executed. Looking back, the 13 point spread seems ludicrous, but we were the more talented team on the field that day.

My bigger problems with Martz were the other things on the list. What separated the '99 team from all the others was special teams, and Martz never, ever got a handle on that. I also hated his/the front office's aversion to obtaining the o-linemen needed to protect Warner/Green/Bulger. (I know they got Turley, but by then it was already too late).

general counsel is offline Registered User

A couple of things. first, i dont think it was too late at all when they got turley. the injury was beyond anyones control. second, as far as the 2000 team goes, that defense was TERRIBLE. kevin carter was a shadow of what he was in 1999. the 2000 offense was dominant in the extreme and remember that warner got hurt halfway through the season. No knock on cowher by the way, i think he is a very good coach. my point is that he is the same coach when he went 15-1 and when he beat indy on the road in the playoffs today as he was when he went 6-10. its the nfl, you cant win every year.

In all fairness. the pats got away with murder in sb 36, possibly the worst officiated game in the history of professional team sports. if the refs had just called half of the blatant downfield holding penalties, we win that game easy and martz is still our coach today.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Martz is a good coach. I think he'll be better off in his second stint then he was here. He needs to mature a little bit, but I think he could build a very competitive team elsewhere.

I personally think that we just needed someone new in here as the HC. The team desperately needs a breath of fresh air.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

RealRam is online now Registered User

H'sCell, as Dez mentioned, you'll find quite a number of seriously positive posts here within the Rams Talk forums that clearly and dearly support Coach Martz.

With the names being mentioned as the Rams next head coach, I would rather have Martz here. --MaineRam
    Also, as RJ39 just mentioned above, we "just needed someone new in here as HC." This is mainly the result of political debates in our front office. As often is the case, unfortunately the real issues are tainted with the quarrel of chemistry, the red tape, poisen even...

More unfortunate for us, we lost a very dynamic play caller, a great madman at offense and someone that had his share of defects such as waisting timeouts.

But Coach Martz had the respect and affection of his players as well as the majority of the Rams fans. In addition, I too believe he will become a better individual and a HC, a leader and winner of games as a result of growing into the position.

Thanks for your visit. :angryram:
    Last edited by RealRam; -01-16-2006 at 01:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast