viper is online now Registered User

What pass defense are we running?

Has anybody been able to determine just what pass defense we are running? It seems like we are running a hybrid of different schemes or situational schemes.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Re: What pass defense are we running?

I couldn't tell you, but I know its a defense that is allowing the TE to have a career day every week.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Game 1: the "Soft and Squeeshie" defense.

Game #2: the "Bend but don't break" defense.

Game #3: The "Not in our House" defense. (I hope)
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rNemesis View Post
    I couldn't tell you, but I know its a defense that is allowing the TE to have a career day every week.
    I feel your pain but both those TEs are studs who put up good numbers virtually every week.They both put up similar numbers against NYG and the Whiners in their other games so far.

Incidentally, neither was a career best. Cooley had over 100yds vs NYG last year. He's been to the PB two years in a row. Carlson broke all kinds of rookie records on a dismal Hags team last year & had his career best vs Philly;again, over 100 yds.

My impression is that without QB pressure, this defense will struggle with this type of quicker TE who run good routes and find those transfer points where the LBs and safeties trade them off as assignments.Not surprising then, with a rookie , Mr Irrelevant and a seriously underperforming Spoon on the LB unit that there are sizable cracks between those layers of the D.

That needs to tighten up but it'll never be close to TE-proof until we get in the QB's face.Nobody can cover those guys when the QB has 6-8 secs to find them,imo.

There have been so many of these big plays where a Ram wasn't within 3-4 yds of the pass-catcher,either TE or WR.It's only because of the savvy play of Butler and Atogwe that these weaknesses haven't been exploited more than they have,imo. That, and some pretty sound tackling.

I think GB plays a much more vertical game & their TE, Donald Lee, is a more traditional type; v. effective blocker and good as a target in the RZ but not a deep route runner. Hopefully that will help this Sunday.

So will their rather spotty QB protection. Their starting LT, Clifton, will be out and a major shuffle seems likely for the whole left side from center out. I'm sure Spags/Flajole will want to exploit that with their bewildering array of DL line-ups and tricks.

I'm much more concerned with how our own O-line will deal with their first 3/4 opponent. A lot rides, as always, on SJ and the other RBs for both protection and production. No idea how that'll pan out because The Pack kept Forte quiet but let Benson run wild.Go figure.

Those who have been bemoaning Bulger's cautious ways may have to eat their words because that is exactly what he needs to be vs Woodson, Harris,et al.They may lack speed but make up for it by reading plays very well and making QBs pay for any mistakes/risky throws. It was Woodson who kept them in the Cincy game with a couple of picks,one for a TD and the other so close that GB soon capitalized.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -09-24-2009 at 09:09 PM.