HornIt Guest

What is the plan?

Well, if you look at this quote from Spags, maybe we can get an idea of the blueprint.

Spagnuolo said, ďOne thing I learned from Andy Reid is, itís a process. And weíre going to have to start at the beginning here, take it one step at a time and build on it. Get the team-first (attitude) together and then weíll move on.

ďI like this challenge Iím involved with; itís very similar. Thereís some excitement about the fact that Iíve gone through it already one time. And because I went through it with a guy (Reid) that I have a great deal of respect for and thought did it exactly right, Iím hoping I can draw on that experience here.Ē
    So we know it's going to be a process and that they're not looking at the quick fix so much as they are building something new and strong.

And how did Reid do it? Well, he drafted Donavan McNabb with, ironically, the 2nd overall pick with his first ever draft choice. They brought in Doug Peterson to play while McNabb got ready and then turned it over to McNabb party way through his rookie season.

So, perhaps we are looking at Stafford or Sanchez with the 2nd overall pick?

He also did it by bringing in a LB coach from the Seattle Seahawks named Jim Johnson. They didn't make wholesale changes in defensive personnel, but they did add a couple players here and there and developed some young guys already on the roster.

They got a key free agent to bolster their O-line at the OT postion in Runyan from the Titans and had a young Tra Thomas on the other side already on the roster. The offense was built around McNabb and Duce Staley early on, then they added Autry and Buckhalter all the while trying desperately to get McNabb some WR's. They drafted Freddie Mitchell, Pinkston, signed James Thrash as a FA, etc. Eventually, of course, they drafted Westbrook.

They've had a lot of defensive personnel come and go over the years, but the defense has remained very good throughout most of it. They actually didn't draft that well early on, but got better later and have seemed to just find players somewhere to plug in that perform well enough for the defense to be good.

Maybe we'll see the Rams follow the same blueprint. Draft the franchise QB with the 2nd overall pick, go get a stud OT in free agency to help solidify the protection and add a C through the draft, find a RB or two if not already on the roster to rotate with Jackson. Build the defense around the core of younger players already there and fill in around them with FA's and a draft pick here and there.

And let the systems and the new culture take hold and we'll see results with some of the same players and a few key new ones that we haven't seen thus far.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Re: What is the plan?

I think our plan must be to get to the NFC championship game a bunch of times and then blow it.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    Maybe we'll see the Rams follow the same blueprint. Draft the franchise QB with the 2nd overall pick, .
    With a 65mm franchise QB signed a couple of years ago . . . I doubt it, but everything else is fine by me . . . actually, I don't even care who he brings in, who he drafts . . . gimme playoffs anyway you want (*), and I'll be happy.

* except the patriots way

HornIt Guest

Which would still be preferable to the plan to blow it before October rolls around.

HornIt Guest

Quote Originally Posted by NY RAMFAN View Post
    With a 65mm franchise QB signed a couple of years ago . . . I doubt it.....
    Expensive QB, yes. Franchise QB? Unfortunately not.

It will be interesting to see what their perspective is on that by the actions they take at that position in the off season. I'll be suprised if they go into next year without a solid backup plan at least to Bulger and somebody they can start developing halfway through next season should it be headed toward a losing season like the Eagles were when McNabb got his chance.

That doesn't mean they have to use their first pick on a QB though.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

The only way we take a QB is if Detroit passes on one and takes an OT. If we're put on the spot, I believe we would have to pull the trigger. That is the only way we take a QB at #2.

GrnGyant Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bald_81 View Post
    The only way we take a QB is if Detroit passes on one and takes an OT. If we're put on the spot, I believe we would have to pull the trigger. That is the only way we take a QB at #2.
    I think the only way we take a quarterback is if Billy D and Spags go out the night before get drunk and don't wake up until 30 seconds are left on the clock, then as they grab the phone they say the first name which comes to their mind and it happens to be a quarterback.

At least for the next couple years, the team is all around so bad, there is no way they can justify having a quarter of the budget tied up in a single position.

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

I got an idea . .. instead of drafting a QB, let's get one in the FA.
    Let's get that grampa that we had, he's done, at least knows the house and can help develop Bulger . . . .
    Oh wait, we let him go for nothing, now he playing in the SB . . .

only if we can turn back time . . .

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Since Reid, according to his Eagles bio, didn't have exec control of personnel until AFTER the 2001 draft, it's a bit speculative to credit him wholly with the McNabb pick .

In his radio interview on WFAN-link posted by RamWraith, BD hints pretty strongly that he feels MB is the guy for next year, stating that all the HC candidates felt that "you can win with this guy", so I doubt a QB will be taken early this year.

Similarly, BD also hints that DL is not THE top priority; it is something that will be addressed " at some point" & that we need "major help in other areas". So I would speculate that the #2 isn't likely to be a DE or DT,either.Perhaps a MLB or CB but since that flies in the face of conventional draft wisdom- sounds less like "process" than radical gamble to me, I still think OT is more likely at #2. Additionally, the best FA OT this year is Gross who is very likely to be franchised since he is v. solid and Peppers seems to want out of Carolina.

Not a lot to go on when speculating about the nitty gritty of the Spags' plan for rebuilding our D . Spags wasn't with The Giants when ANY of the starting DL was either drafted or acquired. I'm not saying he won't try to model it on the Giants but there's precious little evidence of his actually doing that.You can reasonably credit him with how they developed into such an effective & deep unit but that's different than a draft/FA plan,isn't it? Starting CB Ross & FS Johnson were drafted while he was there but who knows how much input had on them?

As always, lots of meaty stuff in your post, HornIt, that I don't have time to research/comment on-I have to nurture the young minds of America in the classroom at least a little bit today, but generally I agree that we are looking at process that will be less drastic or sexy than some fans might hope.

The only other point I would offer is that we are still missing a major piece of the puzzle in not having a capologist-JT indicated in his chat today that it was still TBD.

Keep your fingers crossed, Ram Nation, that the new Zyggy will be more of a magical rockstar like Bowie's Ziggy Stardust than Ziggy the doofus comic strip character.

Whatever the plan, A LOT will ride on his implementation of it as well as DeSpags getting some of our highly paid stars like Bulger, Pace & Holt to buy into the "team first" idea and restructure their contracts to give us the financial freedom to implement whatever plan with greater alacrity.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I think he wants a strong running game so he probably wants an OT and try to build a D stout against the run. He might draft a QB but I donít think it will be with the # 2 pick.
    :ramlogo:

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

nah, i doubt Spagnuolo is going to want to do it EXACTLY like the eagles did...by process i think he meant building the team from every aspect as far as draft PLUS offseason and training and getting a system put in place and guys put in the right place...i doubt he was talking about doing the draft the same way reid did it...