Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What play(s) still haunt you?

Maybe we can get off of Marc and Torry's back for not completing the long pass against Carolina and talk about some other plays in Rams history that still haunt you to this day.

A few come to my mind...

NFC Championship against Dallas - Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson picks off Pat Haden and seals the deal in a 28-0 rout.

Super Bowl against Steelers - Nolan Cromwell drops interception that would have been a sure 6 points.

The Jim Everett "Phantom" sack.

The non-call intentional grounding by Tom Brady in the Super Bowl.

What plays are you still not over?

general counsel Guest

Re: What play(s) still haunt you?

1974 nfc title game at minny- one the one yard line, tom mack offsides. We dont get in, go for the field goal on 4th down, it gets blocked, they run it back over 90 yards for the td, we lose 14-10

super bowl 14- we are up by two scores in the fourth quarter. bradshaw lets fly the bomb to stallworth. Our cb misses by a foot, 73 yard td, pitt rallies to win. That is probably the all time back breaker, excluding anything in sb 36

The wilkens miss in the carolina game. One yard short from being the greatest game in the history of the nfl by any kicker. The fg's, the onside recovery, etc.

I am a little fuzzy about the date on this one, but the play in the rams -sf game where ronny lott runs completely accross the field to break up a sure td at the goal line. They go on to blow us out.

1978 nfc title game. 0-0 at half. Preston pearson makes an incredible diving catch early in the second half in the end zone. cowboys go on to blow us out 37-0.

Rams-packers, 2001 playoffs. The 4th quarter, we are up by 3tds, martz calls a pass play down the field, captain kurt gets killed, bruises the ribs, and we never know if he is full strength for either the eagles game or the super bowl. 100% unecessary play call.

Rams detroit this year. Turley is in the locker room for the first series of the second half getting intravenous fluids. We are moving the ball. If we score once more, game is most likely over. We were terrible in the first half, but still came out with a 10 point lead and all we had to do was avoid collapsing. Grant williams misses the block, bulger doesnt get rid of the ball, gets sacked, fumbles, they score a td, and the game turns completely around. We go on to lose. the rest is history.

Rams vs. carolina playoffs. the key play of the game. somehow, brian young fails to fall on the fumble at the goal line in the second quarter despite the fact that it is right in his hands without anyone on him. He misses it, it squirms away, carolina gets a td. This play doesnt get talked about enough in my opinion when reviewing the debacle of the carolina game.

Carolina game again- We are driving for the win. Bulger throws the int. Holt doesnt come back a step for the ball. Great int. by the carolina guy, but a play certainly worthy of discussion. I really thought holt was open, not by much, but it was a short pass and the game would have been over with wilkens if he catches it. I thought it was an off target throw by just enough high and wide to allow the int.

Carolina- The sehorn whiff. Again, i thought if he steps up on the play, he could have made the INT, let alone missing the tackle.

Superbowl 36. End of the game. Right after the kickoff on the last patriots drive. brady drops back, leonard little gets to his arm and the pass falls incomplete, but little is a nanostep from killing brady and causing the fumble deep in patriots territory that would have given us the win. That really haunts me since it was about 20 yards in front of me.

I am sure more will come to me later.

Ramming speed to all

sign the big man

general counsel

general counsel Guest

My goodness, how could i have forgotten to add the AZ fumbled punt at the end of the playoff game against the saints. That was truly a travesty of a sham of a mockery of a debacle.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Rams vs. carolina playoffs. the key play of the game. somehow, brian young fails to fall on the fumble at the goal line in the second quarter despite the fact that it is right in his hands without anyone on him. He misses it, it squirms away, carolina gets a td. This play doesnt get talked about enough in my opinion when reviewing the debacle of the carolina game.
    You'd think Brian Young, the king of fumble recoveries for us in 2003, would have come up with that. Talk about the ball bouncing in Carolina's favor. I still question whether or not the play was dead with Carolina outside the endzone.

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel
    Carolina game again- We are driving for the win. Bulger throws the int. Holt doesnt come back a step for the ball. Great int. by the carolina guy, but a play certainly worthy of discussion. I really thought holt was open, not by much, but it was a short pass and the game would have been over with wilkens if he catches it. I thought it was an off target throw by just enough high and wide to allow the int.
    If I remember correctly, Bulger actually pointed at Holt ala Madden 2004 Playmaker as a means of trying to direct him on an improv route. I'm sure Ricky Manning saw that and adjusted. Then when the pass was slightly inside, Manning jumped in and wrestled the ball out from Holt. Poor job by Bulger and Holt in knowing where the defender was, especially Marc.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

So much for this thread providing a means to get the discussion off of the topic of the Carolina game...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    So much for this thread providing a means to get the discussion off of the topic of the Carolina game...
    Well, you made it open ended. Get more specific next time. :tongue:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

I have to say the Championship game v the whiners at their home.

Everett drops back to pass, Wide open receiver and Jimbo floats the ball ............

sprtsmac is offline Registered User

Of course the Carolina game has many plays that still haunt me, but I won't go there.

The NFC Championship game against the Whiners- Everett throws a bomb to a wide open Flipper Anderson, then out of nowhere comes Lott who knocks the ball down. We have to settle for a field goal. A few quarters later, Everett goes down with no one around him. The worst part about that play is that Niner fans never let us forget.

Another Niners game- Ken Norton hitting the goal posts. This gets me fired up more than any play in Rams history.

Of course the Super Bowl against the Pats. Everyone talks about the in the grasp play that wasn't called during the last drive. But what haunts me the most is that we could not tackle their receivers in bounds. Tackle them in bounds and the game goes into overtime where we probably win.

These are just a few, I'm sure there is more but my therapist told me not to keep dredging up old wounds.
    Sprtsmac :football:

faulknkid is offline Registered User

Another Niners game- Ken Norton hitting the goal posts. This gets me fired up more than any play in Rams history.
    That one still haunts me too.

The fumbled return by Az on the other hand, I watched him at SDSU and that was his MO there, so I never expected any better with the Rams.

moklerman is offline Registered User

The play from the Super Bowl that gets me the most is when the sideline ref stopped the clock on a short pass from Brady to...Faulk(I'm pretty sure it was him). He ran toward the sideline trying to get out of bounds but was tackled in bounds. His knee, and most of his body, was down and he stretched the ball out of bounds but that shouldn't be a clock stoppage. That preserved the drive for the Patriots. It definitely should have gone to overtime.

Ah, nothing like bringing back fond memories of pain and aggravation. That seems to be the theme of the Rams lately--controversy, aggravation and for some...pain.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

The John Stallworth touchdown in the Rams first Super Bowl.

Backbreaker.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Nolan Cromwell's drop of a sure interception thrown right into his chest by Bradshaw.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Vinatieri's FG to win SB 36. That was the icing on the most frustrating football cake I've ever had to eat.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

sbramfan is offline Registered User

I don't like this conversation...

remember the time we made a great play and went on to win the game?

remember the one where gilligan screwed everything up and they didn't get off the Island?

(ok, I'm better now)

Roman18 is offline Registered User

General Counsel brought up 2 that still haunt me. The Tom Mack incident vs the Vikings was big. Replay show Mack didn't even move. It appeared to be a calculated effort (what did they have to lose) between Marshall and Page to go off-sides together in order to get a flag. In those days, off-sides was a 10 yard penalty and the Rams didn't threaten again.

The second was the Carolina "fumble". That ball should have been call an incompleted pass because it was hit by a Ram before being illigally kicked forward (remember the Raiders vs Charger play) by the Carolina RB. At best Carolina should have gotten a field goal attempt, not a touchdown.

Such is football! Those are the things that make it so interesting!
    Roman18

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast