Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What player is?

eldfan is offline Registered User

What player is?

I was listing to ESPN radio this past weekend and they had a interesting question. What player other than the QB is the most important, for your team to have success ?

I think it is Leonard Little, his ability to be a disruptive defender, he has LB speed can play the run and collapse the pocket to put constant pressure on the qb. The rams defense rank 29 inside the red zone last year. Teams scored 36 td's inside the red zone that was tied with the Texans for last. We have to be able to stop the run I think that key player has to be Little.

:ramlogo:

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: What player is?

Its a good question, one that is very hard to answer.

I agree with you with Little. He didnt have much help on the DL last year, missed a few games but was still racking up sacks. Him and Pisa were truly dominant against Dallas.

This year i think the key player will be Jackson. It seems that running the ball will be quite important in our offense, and many games will be on Jackson's shoulders. With the change in system he really doesnt have any excuses if he plays badly, so its up to him to go out, play well and help this team win football games.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it's obvious that SJ needs to have a big year but my vote is the captain of the Defense.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I think it is Leonard Little
    This reminds me of a thread last year, where someone opined that Little was as good a DE as Peppers. Posters from everywhere (SF, Seattle, even here) slammed the entire notion of Little being in the same ball park as Peppers. It never came back up, but here's the results from last season:

Peppers --- 16 games, 50 tackles, 10.5 sacks, 2 FF
    Little --- 14 games, 56 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 5 FF

The notion doesn't seem as nonsensical from this perspective, does it?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan
    I was listing to ESPN radio this past weekend and they had a interesting question. What player other than the QB is the most important, for your team to have success ?

I think it is Leonard Little, his ability to be a disruptive defender, he has LB speed can play the run and collapse the pocket to put constant pressure on the qb. The rams defense rank 29 inside the red zone last year. Teams scored 36 td's inside the red zone that was tied with the Texans for last. We have to be able to stop the run I think that key player has to be Little.
    Good thought provoking thread.

Personally it all starts at the OL, mainly the Tackles, and mainly the LT if QB is right-handed. It's ok to have the best QB in NFL history, only if he's not got the seconds to make his drop then release the ball he'll be swamped under by the defense, hense without the Line, and mainly the good bonding line play, we'll be nowhere, you can make TDs, and 100+ yards with your Backup WR's and RBs..... yet without the 5 guys up front, where would we be?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

It's Kennedy on the defensive side of the ball. If Kennedy and/or Glover fail, this defense is in big trouble.

Dr. Defense is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by JackieSlater
    Good thought provoking thread.

Personally it all starts at the OL, mainly the Tackles, and mainly the LT if QB is right-handed. It's ok to have the best QB in NFL history, only if he's not got the seconds to make his drop then release the ball he'll be swamped under by the defense, hense without the Line, and mainly the good bonding line play, we'll be nowhere, you can make TDs, and 100+ yards with your Backup WR's and RBs..... yet without the 5 guys up front, where would we be?
    I think you said it perfectly. The O-line can make the difference between a good team and a great team. I mean look at Pittsburg or Denver. They don't have a Tom Brady or a Jake Delhomme, but because there lines are so dominant they can run the ball down the throats of the defense and do what ever they feel like doing on offense. It all starts up there with those 5 guys.

Milan is offline Registered User

I say Pace, he's been around since 98 and I think is a leader. I forgot how many sacks he's allowed in the past two or three years but it's a low number, A good QB starts with a good O-Line.

Also, sorry to go off topic but on the "I support" buttons, Chavous is spelled wrong.

JackieSlater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Defense
    I think you said it perfectly. The O-line can make the difference between a good team and a great team. I mean look at Pittsburg or Denver. They don't have a Tom Brady or a Jake Delhomme, but because there lines are so dominant they can run the ball down the throats of the defense and do what ever they feel like doing on offense. It all starts up there with those 5 guys.
    The classic question which at this point needs to be asked is, Would say Peyton Manning be the QB he is was playing for say the Whiners or Miami, exactly what you state ie Delhomme, It all starts at the OL great good OL play over weeks/months and even years = Offensive success!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Orlando pace, the qb's blind side, a guy who basically never requires any assistance.

The thing about stating little is the second most important guy is this- We can finish last with you, and last without you. How much worse could we have been on defense without leonard little? We couldnt stop the run to save our lives, thus, even with a star player like little, i dont think its as important as the guy that protects the qb's blind side in a passing offense.

Please note that leonard little, in my opinion, was not our best player on defense last year. He was a close second to ryan pickett, who many on this board had no problem letting walk away.

Sure steven jackson needs to have a big year, but what will cause him to have a big year is in large part the play of the offensive line and our ability to balance the pass with the run.

Kennedy is a great call in my view because that comes back to our ability to stop the run. Kennedy gets my vote for most important "swing" guy, in the sense that we really dont know what we are going to get with kennedy but we are basically all in agreement that if we dont get significant production out of him we are going to be in major trouble. Its a given that the loss of pace would be an unmitigated disaster for this team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

MadForPlaid is offline Registered User

On both sides of the ball it always starts in the trenches.

The quality and endurance of the O-Linemen and the D-Linemen really define a team and ultimately its success!

Return To Glory is offline Registered User

ok I know you are going to think im crazy, but my opinion is neither offense of defense, can you guess what it is??? SPECIAL TEAMS, If we have no special teams, we have no playoffs.

MadForPlaid is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Return To Glory
    ok I know you are going to think im crazy, but my opinion is neither offense of defense, can you guess what it is??? SPECIAL TEAMS, If we have no special teams, we have no playoffs.
    Return To Glory,

You are definitely NOT crazy.

Special Teams are huge!! Just look at how many times there are involved in a game, i.e. kickoffs, punts, and field goals/extra points (both units).

Winning most of those battles goes a long way to ensure victory!!

MadForPlaid

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MadForPlaid
    Return To Glory,

You are definitely NOT crazy.

Special Teams are huge!! Just look at how many times there are involved in a game, i.e. kickoffs, punts, and field goals/extra points (both units).

Winning most of those battles goes a long way to ensure victory!!

MadForPlaid
    You and "Return to Glory" are right on point. Many have said that its defense that wins championships, and to some extent that is true. However, special teams play a huge role in the success of a franchise. Your more successful teams have at least very good punters, usually excellent place kickers, and most importantly, talented play and coaching on special teams. Field position is everything in professional football, and the only squads that can give you that are special teams. Rep to you both brothers.

BTW...I share your passion MadForPlaid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsplaya16 is offline Registered User

i agree, i think little is the heart of our defense, he is a huge peice of it! IMO
    Built RAM tough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast