View Poll Results: Player that Ram fans were unfair to...

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pat Haden

2 4.00%
  • Jim Everett

36 72.00%
  • Eddie Kennison

1 2.00%
  • Todd Lyght

0 0%
  • Jerome Bettis

3 6.00%
  • Roman Phifer

4 8.00%
  • Other (list below)

4 8.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What player were Ram fans most unfair to?

Is there a player that Ram fans were unduly harsh to, given how they played in the long run of their career?

Here are a few who come to mind...

Re: What player were Ram fans most unfair to?

I voted for Everett. I think Ram fans were unable to forgive him for the "Phantom Sack" thing, but, if you ask me, Everett was the most talented QB who has ever played for the Rams. Imagine if Mike Martz had been his coach and had a chance to develop Everett in his offense. That would have been something!

I agree, Everett was a favorite of mine and he was a gentleman. I hate it when mob rule starts .............................. hey is that a whiner over there? GET HIM.................................................................................................................

denverram is offline Registered User

I would agree that Everett was the Ram that feel from grace for no reason. The guy could was a "passer" not a QB. Like most Purdue guys he needed to be protected very well or he got his happy feet going.

When that offense was on, that Ram team scored on anybody anytime. Keeping Everett upright was key and when that quit happening the team and Everett fell apart.

It just proves no matter how great the skill the O-Line is the key to great offense.

ramsfan1975 is offline Registered User

Everett was awesome till our oline just started to lose controll...you cant blame the guy, i saw a few of those games and he was getting punished...theres just so much you can take before your more worried about the defenders then the offence.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Yea, watching what happened to Everett was difficult because he really was a great guy and indeed very talented. I don't think he was ever the same after the "phantom sack", which lead to the "happy feet" tag and the whole "Chris Everet" thing. Along with a loss of confidence and lack of support came some bad numbers and a losing team, which is hard to take for fans used to winning. However, making Everett the scapegoat for the misfortune of the entire team was very unfair, especially after he fought though it all to put up some respectable numbers before being shown the door.

Wow. 8 of the first 9 votes for Everett. Maybe we should be sending him an apology basket on behalf of Ram fans everywhere! eace:

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

I chose Everett;
    I still remember his first game vs the Pats. I think it was 86'?
    The crowd was chanting for Everett and Robinson finnally put him in during the second. The game turned into a shoot out and we lost on a last second hail mary, (that was recovered out of bounds) that was tipped by a Ram DB and recovered by the pats receiver.

Who would have known that that would be the begining of the Pats LUCK vs the RAMS. :clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    I chose Everett;
    I still remember his first game vs the Pats. I think it was 86'?
    The crowd was chanting for Everett and Robinson finnally put him in during the second. The game turned into a shoot out and we lost on a last second hail mary, (that was recovered out of bounds) that was tipped by a Ram DB and recovered by the pats receiver.

Who would have known that that would be the begining of the Pats LUCK vs the RAMS. :clanram:
    I remember that game. When they put Jim in, the announcer (who I'm pretty sure was John Madden, if memory serves) said "he's going to be the Rams' QB for the next 10 plays or the next 10 years."

I too remember that game like it was yesterday. It was so exciting to have Everett come in and rip it up. Definitely one of my favorite Ram moments.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Tough to choose....Everett, Haden, Jaworski and even James Harris got a bad rap from fans at one time or another.

I suppose Everett took the biggest blows from fans. Everett did have a hell of an arm, however, he also had a lot of technique flaws.

Of course John Robinson did not know squat about developing a QB. That is why he brought in Zampesie during the latter years of his tenure as head coach. But I think Zampesie was too involved with his playbook and spent too much time smoking cigarettes to have any real hands-on teaching effect for Everett.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    I remember that game. When they put Jim in, the announcer (who I'm pretty sure was John Madden, if memory serves) said "he's going to be the Rams' QB for the next 10 plays or the next 10 years."
    I remember that as well. I am quite certain that it was Madden. Robinson and Madden were good buddies. Madden was always quoting and building Robinson up over the air waves. In fact, that statement was actually a quote from Robinson. Madden asked Robinson "How long Everett would play when he finally put him into a game" and Robinson's response was the afore-mentioned quote.

Since we are talking about quotes, phantom sacks and Everett's scrambling or ability to escape pressure....I remember another quote that was mentioned, by Madden, from Robinson.

When asked, by Madden, about Everett's ability to scramble and escape pressure...Robinson said: "Jim's not a scrambler, however, if he were in a game of tag he would never be IT"

Guess Robinson was wrong again, Everett never got tagged and he was still IT, during the NFC championship game vs. the whiners.

:clanram:

Roman18 is offline Registered User

I too chose Everett for the above mentioned reasons. I do think a QB that was in the same category of unappreciated was Ferragomo but the unappreciation came from Malavasi. That guy had an great arm. The thing I remember from that was Malavasi insisting Pat Haden was the starting QB but he got injured. When Ferragamo got to start he far outshined Haden but ole Ray insisted the starting job was Haden. Malavasi played head games with Ferragomo his whole career or he could have been a great Ram QB. He happened to be the Ram QB in their first Super Bowl appearance.
    Roman18

ram3057 is offline Registered User

I had a chance to meet Jim at LAX. We were both waiting for a plane. I walked right up to him and introduced myself as a 'HUGE RAMS fan'. We talked for a little while and I got his autograph. He is one classy guy.

Roman Phifer is also a pretty good player, though. I always thought that he was one that the RAMS should have held on to.

Great post Avenger! :up:
    Always a Rams Fan............

Rex Allen Markel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Call it what you will, but our Rams did beat the Pats, in Foxboro, during the regular season preceeding SB 36.

I am not certain what season it was, possibly 1985, the L.A. Rams, known as a fair weather team, also won a regular season finale, in foxboro, on a cold winter day to clinch a playoff spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman18
    I too chose Everett for the above mentioned reasons. I do think a QB that was in the same category of unappreciated was Ferragomo but the unappreciation came from Malavasi. That guy had an great arm. The thing I remember from that was Malavasi insisting Pat Haden was the starting QB but he got injured. When Ferragamo got to start he far outshined Haden but ole Ray insisted the starting job was Haden. Malavasi played head games with Ferragomo his whole career or he could have been a great Ram QB. He happened to be the Ram QB in their first Super Bowl appearance.
    Ferragamo was out of Nebraska. I can not think of another Nebraska QB who enjoyed as much success in the NFL as did Ferragamo. Personally I think Haden was the better QB overall, with Ferragamo possibly having the stronger arm.

Haden was the starter and when Ray took over, in 1978, Ferragamo was only in his second season.

Ray was always loyal to his guys. That is not necessarily a bad thing. George Allen was the same way as was Dick Vermeil. Also, Ray was a DC before becoming a head coach. His expertise was defense. He was the mastermind behind the great Rams defenses of the 70's.

Ferragamo was with the Rams from 1977-80. Like many other Rams stars, before and after, he was involved in a contract dispute with Rams management. He ended up signing a lucrative contract to play in the CFL. I believe it was with the Montreal Allouettes(not certain of that). I don't recall him having much success in the CFL. He returned to the NFL and was with the Rams from 1982-84, however, he never again found the success he had in his earlier playing days with the Rams.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Guess Robinson was wrong again, Everett never got tagged and he was still IT, during the NFC championship game vs. the whiners.
    He stayed IT for pretty much the rest of his career Ferter. I'd like to forget that game and I'm sure Everett would too. From the "sure" TD in the first quarter tipped away by Ronnie Lott, to the infamous "phantom sack", to a 30-3 drubbing. That game sent us into the decade long tail spin and put something in Everett's head he was never really able to clear. Has to be one of the lowest points, if not the lowest point in Ram history taking into account the devastation that followed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast