RamWraith is offline Registered User

What the players had to say

RB Steven Jackson

(On his performance in the opener)
    “It was a rough one. Tests come, tests go – you just have to be able to withstand the storm. You can’t give a testimony without going through a test. I didn’t intend for my season to start off like this, but since it did I will not back down.”

(On losing T Orlando Pace)
    “It was a difference. I think (Adam) Goldberg came in and did a great job for the most part. We doubled, we chipped with the backs protection-wise, it’s just the way the ball bounced. Towards the third quarter things started to go downhill for us.”

(On if losing Pace limits what can be done offensively)
    “No, not at all. It doesn’t limit us in anything. We always prepare. Anybody goes down, the next guy steps in and knows his assignment and we just continue like the original starter is in there.”

DE Leonard Little

(On Panthers WR Steve Smith)
    “He’s a playmaker. He always plays with a chip on his shoulder. I told him that during the game. He’s one of the best receivers in the league. The offense runs through him. If he has a bad day, then the offense is going to have a bad day. They got him involved early and kept on rolling from there.”

(On what fuels Smith)
    “With Steve Smith, anything fuels him, if you say anything about him. He is fueled every time he steps onto that field. That is what makes him a great player. He doesn’t need anyone to say anything about him to be fueled. He is going to be fueled anyway, because he is that type of player. He’s a great player. He’s one of the best receivers in the league. We did our part in slowing him down in the first half a little bit, but in the second half he busted us wide open.”

(On if this game was a defensive step in the right direction)
    “If it was a step in the right direction, we would have won the game. We had them in the first half and played pretty good defense. In the second half, we just fell apart. What we need to learn is that we need to come out and play the second half, just like we played the first half. Today, we didn’t do that and obviously, we lost the game. We gave up 20 or more points. It really doesn’t matter, since if we played really good defense, we would have won the game.”

WR Isaac Bruce

(On the offense struggling in the second half, particularly with turnovers and three and outs)
    “I include three and outs as turnovers. Anytime you get into that situation it’s not good for an offense – definitely not good for a defense because they don’t’ have to much rest off the field. We have to do a better job taking care of the football.”

(On timing offensively)
    “I got plenty of work in the preseason. I thought we got enough time to have the timing as far as quarterbacks and receivers are concerned. The offensive line pretty much gelled through the preseason. We have to do a better job when the band is playing and it’s for real; we didn’t do that today.”

(On how much the offense changes without T Orlando Pace)
    “He’s a big part of it. He’s the catalyst on the offensive line and a big guy we like to run behind. It has to change. The guy’s a seven or eight time All-Pro and if he’s not in there it changes things a little.”

QB Marc Bulger

(On losing Orlando Pace to injury)
    “I don’t know, we’ll watch the film. We played a while with out him last year so unfortunately we did have some experience with it. I think Adam (Goldberg) came in and played pretty well. We will see. I don’t know how long of an injury this will be but hopefully it’s not major.”

(On how the loss of Pace effected the offense)
    “Yeah we moved it well at the beginning and hit a lull. I don’t think one guy should stop our whole offense. Losing one guy, we all should have picked it up.”

(On affect of the other injuries coming into this game)
    “We knew Ritchie (Incognito) was pretty doubtful all week I think. Milford (Brown) has played for a while so it wasn’t like we were throwing a rookie in there so he did a good job. Not having Drew (Bennett) affects it but we can make all the excuses in the world but we just didn’t play well today.”

(On if it is fair to second-guess the workload in the preseason)
    “You know we had a chance to win the game and if a couple situations don’t happen we are sitting here with a different outcome. I don’t like to second guess much about football because anyone who has played long enough knows that you can play the same exact game and the ball bounces one way or another, the atmosphere in the facility on a Monday and in the locker room after the game is a lot different. The score didn’t indicate it, but for three quarters we were. As far as the NFL goes being in control of the game, we were and we didn’t finish. They got the momentum and took it from there.”

(On if get two field goals instead of two touchdowns was the turning point in the game)
    “Yeah you could look to a lot of turning points. Certainly you want to get touchdowns against a good defense but we did a lot of things wrong. They were doing just fine getting field goals but they made a lot more big plays than we did. I want to give them credit because they played well. We certainly didn’t play our best but they were ready to play today.”

DT Adam Carriker

(On playing in his first NFL regular season game)
    “It was definitely exciting to get out there and have a chance to play. Playing a real NFL game is a dream come true.”

(On why the defense had trouble against the run)
    “I’m not sure. We will have to look at film to see that, I can say this or that, but until you look at film you can’t really tell. We just have to do a better job stopping the run.”

(On how he fells about his first regular season game)
    “I would say more wins than losses for me personally, which is good. You have to get better every week.”

(On whether it was deflating that they didn’t really turn turnovers into points)
    “You get those opportunities, you have to capitalize on that stuff. We have to do a better job of getting touchdowns when you’re down that close.”

(On if the Steve Smith touchdown was the turning point)
    “We had it. We felt like we were playing well. It was close on the scoreboard. Both teams were playing well, but we felt like we could put them away and he made a heck of play. You have to give him credit.”

S Corey Chavous

(On keeping focus into the second half)
    “You have to force it. Like when I was referring to myself earlier, you have to keep it. There were some times when coach made the right call and I didn’t do my job. Like I said, I can only speak for myself and not for all of the players. I definitely did some things wrong and I’m sure there are some other guys who need to disciplined and everybody needs to do their responsibilities. That is how you stop the run. If one guy messes up, that messes everybody else up, if we have gap control everywhere else. Like I said, it came down to us executing late, and they out-executed us and you have to give them credit.”

(On Rams T Orlando Pace’s injury affecting the team’s performance)
    “I can’t say that. Certainly, you are talking about one of the elite players in the league at his position and it’s tough to lose a guy like that. By no means do I feel like we couldn’t have executed and won the football game. We are not going to put something on one player going down, because we have a lot of capable offensive linemen. We have a good offensive line.”

(On the aggressive play of the defense)
    “We just need to do a better job about being disciplined late. We had some stretches where we played well, but it’s a 60-minute football game. Like I was telling some of the other guys earlier, I can’t speak for everybody, but there were a couple plays late that I didn’t execute well on. I’m sure some of the other guys can say the same thing, with plays they were able to bounce and keep drives alive. We can’t allow that to happen, because we have such a good offense and we need to get the ball back for our offense and give them a chance. In any case, just get the ball in (Rams WR) Dante (Hall)’s hands. You saw what he could do today. It is definitely a team game, that is what we have been stressing. If we can get off the field in some of those situations, we will give ourselves a better chance, like we did when we did get the ball back for our offense.”

LB Will Witherspoon

(On the amount of work in the preseason by starters affecting their performance in this game)
    “I don’t think so. When you look at our practice schedule, the ones are out there practicing, getting everything done. In the preseason, there is a lot for the coaches to evaluate and to do that, they need to put guys in game-time scenarios. There are only so many things you can and can’t do. You can’t put these guys out there and say keep going and going and going. The ones have to sit there for 16 games and then some, hopefully. You can’t put too much on the preseason.”

(On not stopping the run)
    “That is disappointing. At the time, you don’t have time to sit and think about it. We will take a look at it tomorrow and correct those little things. Every one of those is just some small mistake, a guy missing a tackle, or just playing too fast, or just not being in the right place and the right time.”

(On the effect of the fans)
    “I shut a lot of sound out when I am down there. If they are booing, I don’t even pay attention.”
    Last edited by Nick; -09-09-2007 at 10:31 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: What the players had to say

don’t like to second guess much about football because anyone who has played long enough knows that you can play the same exact game and the ball bounces one way or another,
    Hmmmmm, I think I said that the ball rolls funny for everyone. It's football.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Seems like they say all the right things, why can't they just do the right things in the game?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I think it is nice that we are getting some player quotes....thanks probably to Linehan being more open to the public than Martz was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PntherPryd is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Seems like they say all the right things, why can't they just do the right things in the game?

Say the right things?

Your "beast" of a RB who is going to break NFL records this season and who had two critical fumbles basically called out your defense and laid the blame for the loss squarely on them.

Or did you not read the quotes?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PntherPryd View Post
    Your "beast" of a RB who is going to break NFL records this season and who had two critical fumbles basically called out your defense and laid the blame for the loss squarely on them.

Or did you not read the quotes?
    Did you read the quotes? Steven Jackson didn't say a single thing about the defense.

:l

-jake-

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Umm Disco, actually Jackson did say "We gave up 20 or more points, since if we would have played really good defense we would have won the game." Ok so its not a direct quote, but you get the idea. (6th paragraph last two or three lines.)
    I didn't catch it threw the first read myself, but it is pretty messed up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mikhal5569 View Post
    Umm Disco, actually Jackson did say "We gave up 20 or more points, since if we would have played really good defense we would have won the game." Ok so its not a direct quote, but you get the idea. (6th paragraph last two or three lines.)
    The sixth paragraph is a quote from Leonard Little, not Steven Jackson. Jackson only has three quotes, then there's Little's name, and he gets the next three including the one in question. I'll edit the original post so it stands out more.

DieHard23 is offline Registered User

(6th paragraph last two or three lines.)
    that part was actually under Leonard Little's quote. his name is just misplaced

SavageRam is offline Registered User

RB Steven Jackson

“It was a rough one. Tests come, tests go – you just have to be able to withstand the storm. You can’t give a testimony without going through a test. [B]I didn’t intend for my season to start off like this, but since it did I will not back down.”
    That's actually an encouraging quote. I can see Jackson developing into this team's heart and sole. He looked unprepared and out of sync a lot of the game, as did the whole offense.

I have a feeling SJ will have more than zero carries and two receptions next preseason.
    Last edited by SavageRam; -09-09-2007 at 11:20 PM.

PntherPryd is offline Registered User

actually, I misread it. The original quote has the player quotes separated by position abbreviations in red, but Littles quotes have his in white.

apologies to Jackson