throwback week

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: What the public doesn't know about the union ref negotiations

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: What the public doesn't know about the union ref negotiations

People keep bringing up the fact that the NFL "should just give in because they bring in a ton of money. That's simply a lot of baloney, and it goes way deeper than that. The refs are indeed being unreasonable. They want to continue a full, non-contributory pension (which they've had for years) for what amounts to a part time job. It's outrageous. In case you didn't realize, pension reform is a big deal in this country right now because people can't afford to pay that kind of outlandish money. And just because it happens to be a team owner on the other end doesn't mean they should lend themselves to extortion. In what other part time job can someone get away with having a pension in which they contribute zero dollars? I'm a teacher- and there's no more powerful union in the state of NJ than the teacher's union- yet I dutifully pay into my pension every month, as I should. Yet the referees seem to feel what their being asked to do is unreasonable. Sorry, but I don't see it that way.

Of course the myopic fan simply cries that the real refs not being out there is all they care about. I'm not going to sit here and argue many of the games haven't been poorly officiated, because they have. But this stuff I've heard about Monday night's game essentially being the worst call ever is nonsense. I could think of a half dozen instances over the years off the top of my head which were WAY worse- the NE/OAK playoff "tuck rule" game and the Ed Hochuli SD/DEN gaffe a few years ago, being two that immediately come to mind.

Roger Goodell works for the owners. Anyone pissed off at this situation should reserve their vitriol for the owners, not Goodell. In today's society, it's fashionable to rip the boss or the head authority, so many people conveniently blame Goodell. It's misplaced anger.

Fans are not going to turn away from the NFL for any length of time to make a statement. Look at practically every labor action in major sports over the years. While some sports have taken temporary hits, the overwhelming majority of fans ALWAYS come back. To think fans with season tickets to 8 home games or legions of other fans are just going to do yardwork on a Sunday instead of watching their favorite pastime is wishful thinking indeed.

And players whining about "their safety being compromised" ?? Please. If you're THAT worried, boycott this Sunday's game. You'll see how quickly a deal gets done.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-26-2012 at 09:19 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And just because it happens to be a team owner on the other end doesn't mean they should lend themselves to extortion.
    First off, sorry to reduce your post to one sentence, but I don't have alot of time to respond to the rest of the nonsense. This was however the most laughable and utterly ridiculous thing I read in the post.

Come on NJ, it's not extortion and I think you know that. It's collective bargaining. They should be negotiating in good faith. But instead the owners used the classic strong arm tactic of a lockout. They locked the officials out in hopes that they could not only show the officials but the rest of the football world that their skills were simply no better than guys they could get off the street. Well their lockout has failed in proving that point. You know it and everyone else, (that does not harbor a negative bias towards labor unions and their right to collectively bargain), knows it.

"Extortion" - That's got to be one of the most inane comments I've heard in this ongoing debate.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    First off, sorry to reduce your post to one sentence, but I don't have alot of time to respond to the rest of the nonsense. This was however the most laughable and utterly ridiculous thing I read in the post.

Come on NJ, it's not extortion and I think you know that. It's collective bargaining. They should be negotiating in good faith. But instead the owners used the classic strong arm tactic of a lockout. They locked the officials out in hopes that they could not only show the officials but the rest of the football world that their skills were simply no better than guys they could get off the street. Well their lockout has failed in proving that point. You know it and everyone else, (that does not harbor a negative bias towards labor unions and their right to collectively bargain), knows it.

"Extortion" - That's got to be one of the most inane comments I've heard in this ongoing debate.

I disagree. And although I am in a union, I am vehemently opposed to some of the tactics leadership uses to get their way. Unions in this country have gone from necessary entities designed to do the right thing and protect basic rights to huge groups just looking to get their way and protect membership, regardless of whether or not their position is reasonable or honorable. Some of it is INDEED tantamount to extortion: "I'm not coming to work unless you give us A, B or C. It's nonsense. And any part time employee who thinks entitlement to a non-contributory pension is reasonable is delusional. And the refs' unwillingness to budge from this very unreasonable position from the start gave the impetus for an owner lockout. The owners are 100% right in rejecting this demand.
    Last edited by NJ Ramsfan1; -09-26-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I disagree. And although I am in a union, I am vehemently opposed to some of the tactics leadership uses to get their way. Unions in this country have gone from necessary entities designed to do the right thing and protect basic rights to huge groups just looking to get their way and protect membership, regardless of whether or not their position is reasonable or honorable. Some of it is INDEED tantamount to extortion: "I'm not coming to work unless you give us A, B or C. It's nonsense. And any part time employee who thinks entitlement to a non-contributory pension is reasonable is delusional. And the refs' unwillingness to budge from this very unreasonable position from the start gave the impetus for an owner lockout. The owners are 100% right in rejecting this demand.
    NJ I get what you are saying, too me it's all funny money. This is the NFL not the real world. Fisher makes seven million to coach a football team. Sam Bradford is guaranteed 50 million to play in a football game. This is entrainment nothing more nothing less. I'm sure there are actors that get paid large amounts of money for a few days of work.

I just can't compare the real world to fantasy land. One thing is for sure the refs, the real refs make the experience better. They make the product that we the fans want to pay to watch better. I could care less what they get paid, or how they divide up the billions of dollars, really I do not care. Just make sure the product they are selling is good, other wise I will stop paying for it. Me and my wife used to go to the movies all the time and now we hardly ever go. Too many movies are just not worth the price of admission these days.

NFL ref $500,000, school teacher priceless!

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Boys boys....we can end this argument...

The refs are back...

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    At $2,000 an hour, not counting pre-season games, or playoff games, and assuming the refs get a "bye" week and therefore only work 16 weeks of the year, they would make approximately $1,152,000.00 per year. That is probably 10x what they make, and we know they work more than 16 weeks. That is based on a 36 hour work week, which I just saw today in an article as the number of hours they work. So I mean, they still get paid really well on an hourly basis, but they aren't making over 2k an hour.
    Well if they really do work 36 hours a week that changes things. Their pay would go down to around $200/hr at the current rate.
    Last edited by RamFan_Til_I_Die; -09-27-2012 at 02:56 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123