Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 91
  1. #16
    BIG-BLUE's Avatar
    BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Roseville,CA USA
    Age
    54
    Posts
    657
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    BRM, agreed with you totally. Wanted to rep you, but there is this little rule about spreading it around 1st.
    Anyway to all the clan, Live, Love & Laugh often life is to short for the petty crap.


  2. #17
    CaliGirlRamsFan's Avatar
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    899
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Shower Beers is going to have to get my "Sheek, Posh, OMG so totally out of this world cool blondie puter" from BRM. I think he stole it Friday morning after Thursday night football.Red, give it to Shower Beers, but have it back to me bye chat time.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Hope Cali doesn't read that....

    I agree with your post there, BRM!

    We glean the internet for articles (whether they be fact or fiction doesn't really matter) so we can post stuff to amuse, consternate, or both. Occasionally we might even contribute in a meaningful way! Or not.

    Football is just a game, but it sure is a lot more fun when we are winning!
    Last edited by CaliGirlRamsFan; -12-21-2008 at 02:14 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

  3. #18
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Very good, debatable post BigRed. "Debatable" being a serious understatement.

    Interesting how we, the Clan members, can get to know each other a little bit after being around the site a lot. Your point is well taken, I believe, for you were serious about not being serious (fans); and mentioning some of your important life events makes this thread a very fine theme of discussion.

    I appreciate your style, amigo, honestly ... though some of the graphics you've used I must quickly turn away from, not amused. It certainly makes for good camaraderie and that is -- forgive me -- seriously important for the success and good name of a sports site such as this NFL Rams ClanRam.

    Ram Talk, to me, is a form of sound entertainment that nurtures my fandom of the St. Louis Rams.

    Being the main Forum of this wonderful site Ram Talk allows me to delve in the opinions of other Rams diehard fans (and I do mean seriously diehard, like you), with whom I am also allowed, duly moderated, to share my opinions. It is a sound place, respect is encouraged and maintained (sometimes relatively, just as pro players who sometimes lose it), and in general, we get to either give enthusiastic high fives for good plays by the Rams or for good posts by us, the fans or, we end up only shaking our heads for a bad show from one or the other.

    This 2009 season has slowly but surely made me shake my head!


    Many times I pass the opportunity to post simply because I'm too busy or because the particular thread is not my fancy, even by Rams standards in this forum. But other times I really enjoy taking the time to enter in a Ram discussion, almost as if it were a live, social gathering among friends in a sports hall environment. Or among Rams fans at the stadium.


    True, at times one's human nature gets in the way but for the most part I find that Ram Talk is enjoyable.

    Be well BRM.
    Last edited by RealRam; -12-21-2008 at 10:16 AM. Reason: Tyop

  4. #19
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Well, one thing if for certain - there are always going to be very different personalities lurking around here. Some mesh well, some don't. Regardless, we should feel very lucky that we have a civlized (relatively) place to come and talk, rant, vent, or do whatever else we like, with all things Ram-related ...

    I have visited one other Ram's board here and there (shame on me) and I must tell you, that this board is easily the cream of the crap. Not only is the lack of football intelligence absolutely mind-boggling over there, but the personalities are non-existant ...

    I love the diversity here, and I cannot wait to see how exciting a place this can be when we start winning again ...

  5. #20
    THEFIELDGOAL's Avatar
    THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Salinas, California, United States
    Age
    45
    Posts
    317
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Big Red is on the money. Hey i got none. But Ram Talk is about passion and love for the team. Stats are just numbers to gauge. In the end only the wins and losses add up to real stats. Rams whether great or not. I still am as passionate as ever. Go Horns!!!!
    Rams Rule!
    THE FIELD GOAL

  6. #21
    FilthyMcNasty's Avatar
    FilthyMcNasty is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hull, England
    Posts
    145
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    It baffles me when people think you can't be a hardcore fan AND demonstrate a sense of humour.

    I think the standard of debate on ClanRam is excellent, most posts on NFL forums take the form of "[insert players name] sucks!" and "[insert players name] is a fag because they don't play hurt" which is painful to read.

    I like this place.

  7. #22
    AvengerRam's Avatar
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Longwood, Florida, United States
    Age
    46
    Posts
    18,849
    Rep Power
    169

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    I'd like to respond, but unfortunately I suffer from a visual impairment that has rendered me unable to read red font.

  8. #23
    CaliGirlRamsFan's Avatar
    CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bay Area CA
    Posts
    899
    Rep Power
    25

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    That's Funny!
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I'd like to respond, but unfortunately I suffer from a visual impairment that has rendered me unable to read red font.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

  9. #24
    UtterBlitz's Avatar
    UtterBlitz is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,439
    Rep Power
    41

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    What is Ram Talk? Should it be held to any kind of standard? I read with interest some of the banter that goes on in the threads. As many of you have probably already deduced, I donít take a lot of things very seriously and thereís practically nothing I wonít make a joke out of. ........................................

    So letís lighten up in here and be a bit more tolerant and a lot less sensitive. Peace, out!
    What brings this rant on Red?

    There are standards and there are rules here. Do you not like the rules? Or are you offended by the way people are posting?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  10. #25
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Rep for you big fella.

    Some of the stuff that is passed off as 'humour' (Queens English ) on these boards occasionally leaves me cold, being more designed to insult than actually make people laugh. But it takes all sorts and not everyone sees things the same way so you have to accept that the price for participating on the boards is that you have to read things that leave you cold.

    There's a few on these boards who I couldn't ever imagine sharing a post-game beverage with but equally there are even more who I would glady while away the small hours with beer in hand. I'd wager there are even more people who we never hear from who who would be great company and who would make some fantastic contributions.

    For all the issues I have had with moderation at times on these boards ( or lack of ) they remain the most active and well-run of any of the boards you could find that have the Rams as their subject matter. I still think that we've lost far too many quality posters as a result of what I see as some unfortunate decisions but there are still many reasons to be cheerful.

    My contributions aren't to everyone's taste either but then that's not why I post. Its nice to be liked and ultimately no-one likes to be disliked but as Red points out, fanaticism means you have an opinion and board means you have a voice.

    Part of the conditions of using that voice is that you attack the post not the poster and I've always thought that resorting to name-calling was fairly ordinary.

    We should be better than that.

    So I think that Red's post was a plea more than a rant and I thought it had a nice seasonal flavour to it.

    I'm flying to Ireland tonight to be with my outlaws and rest-assured I'll toast you all with the first dose of the black stuff to pass my lips.


    Never a large hairy red man in sight.

  11. #26
    RealRam's Avatar
    RealRam is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    8,458
    Rep Power
    68

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Rams 2-13 (nine in a row). Wow. Long live Ram Talk / ClanRam! // PS: good post Pang.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What is Ram Talk?-clan-axeman.jpg  

  12. #27
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,277
    Rep Power
    109

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Stats are not all that matters but are necessary more times than not.

    I can see a debate without stats going like this:

    RAMS lose to Whiners 17-16.

    How did Bulger do? Well he went .....no stats allowed!
    How about Jackson? Ummm...sorry can't talk about his stats.
    How about Chris Long did he record any tackles or sacks? Uh.......


    Serious or not..........stats generally keep the conversation or debate going.

  13. #28
    VegasRam's Avatar
    VegasRam is offline Ram MVP
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    53

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    Well, one thing if for certain - there are always going to be very different personalities lurking around here. Some mesh well, some don't. Regardless, we should feel very lucky that we have a civlized (relatively) place to come and talk, rant, vent, or do whatever else we like, with all things Ram-related ...

    I have visited one other Ram's board here and there (shame on me) and I must tell you, that this board is easily the cream of the crap. Not only is the lack of football intelligence absolutely mind-boggling over there, but the personalities are non-existant ...

    I love the diversity here, and I cannot wait to see how exciting a place this can be when we start winning again ...
    Not quite sure how to take this?
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

  14. #29
    r8rh8rmike's Avatar
    r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    29 Palms, Ca.
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,724
    Rep Power
    129

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Stats are not all that matters but are necessary more times than not.

    I can see a debate without stats going like this:

    RAMS lose to Whiners 17-16.

    How did Bulger do? Well he went .....no stats allowed!
    How about Jackson? Ummm...sorry can't talk about his stats.
    How about Chris Long did he record any tackles or sacks? Uh.......


    Serious or not..........stats generally keep the conversation or debate going.
    Good points. People don't like stats a lot of the time because stats fly in the face of their personal opinions. While stats are by no means the sole determining factor in a discussion, they definitely add perspective and help keep things based on something tangible. That said, there is no stat that matters more than the W-L column.

    Sorry I had to get so serious.

  15. #30
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    32
    Posts
    19,674
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: What is Ram Talk?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Stats are not all that matters but are necessary more times than not.

    I can see a debate without stats going like this:

    RAMS lose to Whiners 17-16.

    How did Bulger do? Well he went .....no stats allowed!
    How about Jackson? Ummm...sorry can't talk about his stats.
    How about Chris Long did he record any tackles or sacks? Uh.......

    Serious or not..........stats generally keep the conversation or debate going.
    Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Good points. People don't like stats a lot of the time because stats fly in the face of their personal opinions. While stats are by no means the sole determining factor in a discussion, they definitely add perspective and help keep things based on something tangible. That said, there is no stat that matters more than the W-L column.

    Sorry I had to get so serious.
    Precisely. Stats aren't all that matter, but they do matter, at least when it comes to supporting your opinion with something beyond "This is what I think" and just leaving it at that.

    It seems as if some people have this negative opinion of stats or those who would wield them as evidence for their case. But really, if I want to make my case to those willing to listen, then I want to make the most effective case possible. And if there are hard numbers that back me up, why wouldn't I reference them? Why wouldn't anyone who so passionately believes in something, as a fan does? Obviously they don't tell us everything, but they do tell us something don't they? Or else why would they be kept in the first place?

    The last thing I'd like to see is a community where the level of discourse is void of logic or statistics, and rather is completely based on emotion or passion. Because while both of those latter factors are important in being a fan and what brings us all together here for this team, they're also two of the biggest factors when it comes to knee-jerk or extreme reactions to events. Cries to bench or cut players after a bad game, cries of outrage over draft busts minutes after a pick is made, etc etc. It's one thing to have emotion, but add some depth and logic behind it. Be passionate AND knowledgeable about what you love.

    I mean, if I wanted to watch something completely emotional that lacked any kind of depth, reason, or logic, I'd sit down on Mondays with my girlfriend and catch up on Gossip Girl.

    Randy asks who wants to be serious about talking football? Well, sometimes it's good to be serious, if you want to have a reasoned exchange of ideas about topics you enjoy. Other times it's great to be funny. Fanaticism, emotion, and logic do not have to be mutually exclusive. Neither does humor. But it shouldn't be all or nothing, one or the other.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lots of talk, few results from Jackson
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: -12-04-2008, 06:14 PM
  2. Linehan, Bulger talk 'Niners
    By Rambos in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -09-14-2007, 12:45 AM
  3. Rams talk extension with Little's agent
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-14-2006, 07:56 AM
  4. NFL | Owners not allowed to talk about CBA
    By RamsFan16 in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -02-12-2006, 02:36 PM
  5. [Panthers] Talk of playoffs hasty for 5-7 team
    By DJRamFan in forum NFL TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -12-09-2004, 04:37 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •