Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: What is Ram Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Stats aren't all that matter, but they do matter...

Fanaticism, emotion, and logic do not have to be mutually exclusive. Neither does humor. But it shouldn't be all or nothing, one or the other.

Excellent post, amigo Nick.

No doubt stats have their place which, often, is critical. Wouldn't I like to know exactly how many sacks Deacon Jones had per year in his most famous career? Especially when compared to modern day numbers of the NFL.

Of course, by the same token, we all know that stats can become silly, pointless, and/or misleading. And they somtimes are. Such as ..."team with most wins during MNF while drinking Lime flavor Gatorade since 2000". Or, "most INTs by QB in Thanskgiving day game when using gloves."

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Precisely. Stats aren't all that matter, but they do matter, at least when it comes to supporting your opinion with something beyond "This is what I think" and just leaving it at that.
    What's wrong with someone just expressing "just what they think"? Just because you have some stat pulled from some internet source makes your "opinion" superior to someone else's? How do you "stat" heart, desire, leadership, luck?

It seems as if some people have this negative opinion of stats or those who would wield them as evidence for their case. But really, if I want to make my case to those willing to listen, then I want to make the most effective case possible. And if there are hard numbers that back me up, why wouldn't I reference them? Why wouldn't anyone who so passionately believes in something, as a fan does? Obviously they don't tell us everything, but they do tell us something don't they? Or else why would they be kept in the first place?
    Stats are all relevant and just as irrelevant. What do I mean? Year to year, and even week to week, team opponents, players, weather, schedule, etc change. Nothing is consistent so how can you compare? How can you realistically compare one player against another, in lets say rushing productivity? Hank Aaron's home run record compared to any other athlete before or after him doesn't mean a damn thing. They didn't face the same pitchers, on the same days, with the same results with other players around them. Statnerds believe that their precious figures somehow equate to mathematical equations. It is printed, so therefore it's so. They keep stats for statnerds to collect. That's why they keep them.

The last thing I'd like to see is a community where the level of discourse is void of logic or statistics, and rather is completely based on emotion or passion. Because while both of those latter factors are important in being a fan and what brings us all together here for this team, they're also two of the biggest factors when it comes to knee-jerk or extreme reactions to events. Cries to bench or cut players after a bad game, cries of outrage over draft busts minutes after a pick is made, etc etc. It's one thing to have emotion, but add some depth and logic behind it. Be passionate AND knowledgeable about what you love.
    Come down to earth there Spock. Sounds like great fun talking logic and statistics and leave all the emotion and passion out of it. This is precisely the elitist attitude I'm talking about. We that scream at the screen or yell at the game are a bunch of knee jerks lacking in depth of intelligence to possibly be one worthy of being a fan? Well those are the guys and gals I like being with and more power to them.

I mean, if I wanted to watch something completely emotional that lacked any kind of depth, reason, or logic, I'd sit down on Mondays with my girlfriend and catch up on Gossip Girl.
    Being a fan is totally all about emotion. Let me see, OK honey, motion 17 reps to counter motion 18 reps is optimized by lessening friction by 60% quotient resulting in increased blood flow by 40% ending in a existential release of morphines at 10 miligrams and pleasure should last 5 to 10 minutes. Is that woopie to you? Lucky gal.

Randy asks who wants to be serious about talking football? Well, sometimes it's good to be serious, if you want to have a reasoned exchange of ideas about topics you enjoy. Other times it's great to be funny. Fanaticism, emotion, and logic do not have to be mutually exclusive. Neither does humor. But it shouldn't be all or nothing, one or the other.
    I'm not feeling very funny right now. I never claimed that everything has to be emotion driven or funny. It's just that so many have been driven from this website as a result of being called unreasonable, illogical, not serious enough to have their opinion acknowledged as just as valid as anyone else's.
    Last edited by bigredman; -12-22-2008 at 10:16 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BleedingYellowandBlu is offline Registered User

I feel bad that I only watch Football for the CHEERLEADERS' and i can tell you their birthdate and figure for each girl. Those are good stats.
    Last edited by BleedingYellowandBlu; -12-22-2008 at 10:02 PM.

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

I would just like to say, (Don't hit me Red, you are in my house),...that Red was not kidding in the chat room when he said he was going to wear a thong to my house today.

That said, I think he may be a bit uncomfortable at the moment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

I feel bad that I only watch Football for the CHEERLEADERS' and i can tell you their birthdate and figure for each girl. Those are good stats.
    Now those are stats that I can get into...
    Last edited by bigredman; -12-22-2008 at 10:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I'm not feeling very funny right now. I never claimed that everything has to be emotion driven or funny. It's just that so many have been driven from this website as a result of being called unreasonable, illogical, not serious enough to have their opinion acknowledged as just as valid as anyone else's.
    Hmm. Maybe those people that were driven from this website should have laughed off any criticism and not taken things so seriously?

RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

What is Rams Talk?

Its a place where men can come and talk football and men can talk about their favorite skirt (kilt) to wear and no one thinks twice about their sexual preference.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Hmm. Maybe those people that were driven from this website should have laughed off any criticism and not taken things so seriously?
    Not everyone has our maturity Mike!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by RamsSB99 View Post
    What is Rams Talk?

Its a place where men can come and talk football and men can talk about their favorite skirt (kilt) to wear and no one thinks twice about their sexual preference.

Having no preference, I can never be questioned!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    Here is a stat for you babe. You are sleeping with the thong dawning Red tonight, and you can give us his stats in the morning.

Cali, I know you mean well but you can be soooo very funny at times. Accidently.

I'm not sure if the thong will be immersed in the crack of dawn or if someone is donning a thong... I refuse to look at the mental picture of BRM in a thong....
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    Not everyone has our maturity Mike!
    Well, that's true.

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    Well, that's true.
    I would like to think I have the maturity to appreciate my immaturity!
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    I would like to think I have the maturity to appreciate my immaturity!
    Hey, can't argue with you there R&D.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It has been hard for me to take this team seriously this season. That's partly why I haven't posted much this season. But, even though we stunk, (real bad after yesterday)
    I know, (hope, pray, wish) we will win this Sunday.

Please note that my prediction is solely based on my blind loyalty to a franchise in sorry disarray; and may conflict with other fans rosy outlook.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

CaliGirlRamsFan is offline Registered User

It was meant to be funny,lol. Red really did bring his thong that he said he would in the chat room yesterday, I kid you not.

Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Cali, I know you mean well but you can be soooo very funny at times. Accidently.

I'm not sure if the thong will be immersed in the crack of dawn or if someone is donning a thong... I refuse to look at the mental picture of BRM in a thong....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Visit myspace.com/polejox

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast