throwback week

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What is Ram Talk?

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    What's wrong with someone just expressing "just what they think"? Just because you have some stat pulled from some internet source makes your "opinion" superior to someone else's? How do you "stat" heart, desire, leadership, luck?
    Nothing's wrong with someone expressing "just what they think," nor did I claim my opinion was superior. But like all things, it has to be kept in perspective.

For instance, if you can't support your opinion beyond that with numbers or examples from games or actual specific events that work in your favor, don't anticipate people just suddenly agreeing with you on a whim. And don't get mad or defensive when they don't. If such information is produced that may counter your opinion, at least be open minded to that information, as we all should remain open minded to other points of view.

The problem I see with some "passionate fans" who express just what they think without support for their opinion is that they express their opinions as if they're 100% truth, then expect everyone to agree with them. When other things - such as stats, for instance - are brought up that may counter or challenge their view, some take a stubborn stance, don't back down, or get defensive. In fact, they may start taking personal shots at those who approach things from a more logical standpoint. It happens on both sides, not just from the logical stat people.

I recall a thread from not too long ago when someone talked about how so-and-so who drafted recently appears to be a bust. There wasn't much actual support for this opinion in the initial post, and a number of responses disagreed. The original poster later responded and seemed offended, suggesting that the responses to his thread meant he somehow wasn't allowed to be critical of said player. Again, it comes down to keeping your opinion in perspective.

Passion is great, but without at least a little reason behind it or an open-minded willingness to view another's side, it'll only get you so far in a discussion-based community where topics are explored all week between games and year round during the offseason. For an incredibly poor comparison, how far can a relationship rely on small talk before you have to start getting into the thick of things on a deeper level?

Year to year, and even week to week, team opponents, players, weather, schedule, etc change. Nothing is consistent so how can you compare? How can you realistically compare one player against another, in lets say rushing productivity?
    Hence why I said, "Obviously they don't tell us everything." Because they don't, for very valid reasons you bring up.

But they're a good starting point for those who want to look at them in their context to try and draw more specific conclusions.

To write them off completely because of variables doesn't make much sense to me.

Come down to earth there Spock. Sounds like great fun talking logic and statistics and leave all the emotion and passion out of it. This is precisely the elitist attitude I'm talking about. We that scream at the screen or yell at the game are a bunch of knee jerks lacking in depth of intelligence to possibly be one worthy of being a fan? Well those are the guys and gals I like being with and more power to them.
    I like how you started this thread in part to object to the personal judgments that are made about the opinion of others, only to then call me an elitist because of my opinion on this matter. So much for being a bit more tolerant, eh?

No where in my post did I say that anyone who screams at the TV or yells at the game are "a bunch of knee jerks lacking in depth of intelligence." Nor did I say that all we should do is talk logic and leave all the emotion and passion out of it. In fact, I specifically said that both of those traits are "important in being a fan and what brings us all together here for this team." So I'm not sure where you got that extreme mischaracterization.

What I said was that emotion and passion, while important for all of us, are factors of those kinds of knee-jerk illogical responses we see minutes/hours after games. Again, I did not say that everyone who is emotional or passionate makes those types of responses, but rather those who do are often rooted in emotion or passion that often times is separated from logic.

As I said, it's one thing to have emotion. As fans, we all have it. But I think it's important to make sure it's tempered by some perspective and logic. Screaming that someone should be cut after making a fumble is an emotional response that, when you calm down and look at things rationally, may not be practical or wise at all. IMO, it's important to be able to draw on both the emotion and the reason, not just one.

Being a fan is totally all about emotion.
    I agree that being a fan is in large part about emotion. But I would contend that regularly contributing on a discussion-based message board that functions daily throughout the year requires more than just passion and emotion.

I never claimed that everything has to be emotion driven or funny.
    You said, "Besides, who wants to be “serious” about talking about the Rams or football in general? There’s enough really serious stuff going on in the world right now."

To me, that sounded like you didn't think talking about the Rams should be serious. If I misinterpreted that, I apologize.

It's just that so many have been driven from this website as a result of being called unreasonable, illogical, not serious enough to have their opinion acknowledged as just as valid as anyone else's.
    So then I guess they should also take your advice and lighten up, be a bit more tolerant, and a lot less sensitive? Or was that only meant for us logical folk up in our superior tower looking down upon the serfs?

On a serious note though, I understand and agree that personal shots regarding the quality of one's opinion should not be tolerated. It's something we do our best to crack down on - after all, Rule #1 at the Clan emphasizes civility - but obviously we can't see and respond to everything. That's where the member Report Post button comes in handy.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

LOL, I just got it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Cali, I know you mean well but you can be soooo very funny at times. Accidently.

I'm not sure if the thong will be immersed in the crack of dawn or if someone is donning a thong... I refuse to look at the mental picture of BRM in a thong....

ramsanddodgers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    LOL, I just got it.
    Cali it is your free and rampant use of homophones which crack me up...

as far as the ongoing debate which (hopefully) may unwittingly be leading to a widening of the schism, methinks thou dost protest too much?
    Last edited by ramsanddodgers; -12-23-2008 at 02:52 AM.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BRM
    if stats were all that mattered there would be no cinderella teams
    Actually, cinderella teams exist BECAUSE of stats. A speculation of a team's performance is derived from past performance (stats). When the team's future performance (stats) exceeds that expectation, they are a cinderella team.

On second thought, I think I CAN get behind this whole "no stats" idea. Without stats, the Rams are undefeated and the best team in the league. Awesome!
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Actually, cinderella teams exist BECAUSE of stats. A speculation of a team's performance is derived from past performance (stats). When the team's future performance (stats) exceeds that expectation, they are a cinderella team.

On second thought, I think I CAN get behind this whole "no stats" idea. Without stats, the Rams are undefeated and the best team in the league. Awesome!
    lol....I am with HU.....the Rams are the best team ever in the league, in history.

You can't disagree with that ....without some numbers that is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

For me, Ram Talk is simply a place for me to go & catch up on the Rams & hear others opinions about what it happening to the team we all support. Now if a poster throws in stats with his debate or opinion to back it up,so be it that's great & if he doesn't, so be it. I don't get upset about anyone calling me out on my opinions, post or anything else they wish to call me out on. because bottom line it's just a message board, granted it's the one I love to check out every day ( wife is getting really jealous ) & read all the different post. Do I agree with all of them, no. Does everyone agree with what I have to say, no. Do I care at the end of the day what was said here, no. It's just a place I get to hear others opinions on these team that we all love & support. At the end of the day all that matters to me is that my family is safe, healthy & happy.
    So bottom line on the board for me if you want to throw emotion in to your comments, great. If you wish to add stats to back up your debate, have at it, it's all good.
    Plus the mods do a great job at keeping things pretty level around here, cutting out the crap that simply has no place on this board.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Damn that was a great post. Not too serious either.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't think I can. Without the ability to use stats, my posts per day number would fall from 7.09 to 0.81.

Then again, without stats, I'd never know it because that number would be gone!

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

ClanRam members in favor of stats: 53.2%
    ClanRam members opposed to stats: N/A

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Stats are just a part of a discussion, and do have their place. For example someone was just taalking about how great our STs are this year, but when you look up the stats you can see they still stink. I think the point in all these rantings is that no one here is better than the next guy, so some people need to stop acting like it. There have been people who have been attacked and railroaded right off these boards not because they were posting idiotic drivel, but because they had a differing opinion. Quite sad really.

Roy G. Biv is offline Registered User

I think the point in all these rantings is that no one here is better than the next guy
    I would love that to be true but I just don't see that it is.

Let's face the facts, if RamDez or Avengerram or Nick (and that's not intended to be a comprehensive list) say something it rings a little clearer than if Buford T. Bumblefart's keyboard regurgitates some beauty about which player "sucks, nuff said." It's hard to swallow the notion that everyone is equal. All men are created equal, but some overcome it.
    There have been people who have been attacked and railroaded right off these boards not because they were posting idiotic drivel, but because they had a differing opinion.
    For starters I don't know anyone that has been "railroaded" off the boards. I'd be curious to see who makes up that roster. And sometimes a differing opinion is idiotic drivel. Sometimes it's our own, but sometimes it's not.

Being different does not define idiocy, but it certainly doesn't negate it either.
    "I'm not going to hide my opinions. They're coming to you between 7000-4000 Angstroms for all the world to see. Oh yes, you will be enlightened."

RealRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Very good, debatable post BigRed. "Debatable" being a serious understatement.

Interesting how we, the Clan members, can get to know each other a little bit after being around the site a lot.

Numbers, opinions, percentages, stats. It's all relative! Yes, that's the ticket!

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

Those are big words. What am I protesting?
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsanddodgers View Post
    Cali it is your free and rampant use of homophones which crack me up...

as far as the ongoing debate which (hopefully) may unwittingly be leading to a widening of the schism, methinks thou dost protest too much?

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Numbers, opinions, percentages, stats. It's all relative! Yes, that's the ticket!
    One of my favorite bits on SNL

Yeah...everyone has to be more tolerant and less sensitive
    except bigredman...Yeah...that's the ticket!

bigredman Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Roy G. Biv View Post
    I would love that to be true but I just don't see that it is.

Let's face the facts, if RamDez or Avengerram or Nick (and that's not intended to be a comprehensive list) say something it rings a little clearer than if Buford T. Bumblefart's keyboard regurgitates some beauty about which player "sucks, nuff said."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast