View Poll Results: What is the Rams' biggest problem?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Overall lack of talent.

2 10.00%
  • Lack of talent certain key positions.

12 60.00%
  • Poor coaching.

6 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What is the Rams' biggest problem?

Which of these three choices describes it best?

Re: What is the Rams' biggest problem?

I went with the second choice.

I think the Rams do have a lot of talent overall, particularly at the offensive skill positions and in certain spots on the defense.

I think there are some key elements missing, particularly on the offensive line and in the back-7 on defense (not to mention special teams).

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Add a stable left guard and right tackle and I think the offense is exponentionally better. Bulger gets more time in the pocket, better push when running the ball, all equates to good things.

Defensively, if you add a presence at MLB and perhaps a playmaker at corner or safety, I think the defense will look sharper.

So I'm with option two.

As much as we talk about drafting a RT in the first round, I wouldn't mind seeing us draft left guard David Baas to shore up the left side if it doesn't look likely that we could nail a guard in free agency.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

As much as we talk about drafting a RT in the first round, I wouldn't mind seeing us draft left guard David Baas to shore up the left side if it doesn't look likely that we could nail a guard in free agency.
    Nick, you're right he is probably the best guard in the draft. But he may slip to our 2nd round pick. Maybe, just maybe slip to that top pick we got in the 3rd round (assuming the fins keep losing). Thanks Miami front office. Hope you enjoy Lamar's doctor bills.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

A RT, an upgrade at CB, S & MLB and we are back on top. However, part of me wants to say the "better coaching" option, because none of the talent in the world will overshadow the historical lack of performance from Larry Marmie's defenses.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Nick, you're right he is probably the best guard in the draft. But he may slip to our 2nd round pick. Maybe, just maybe slip to that top pick we got in the 3rd round (assuming the fins keep losing). Thanks Miami front office. Hope you enjoy Lamar's doctor bills.
    I'm not so sure he slips to the middle of the second round or later. I guess it depends on how things play out. If Baas is off the board, I'd take the best tackle available. But if it comes to be our pick and guys like Winston or Barron are gone and Baas is there, I'd take him.

Yodude is offline Registered User

The Rams' biggest problem right now is the Rams. I doesn't matter who's on the offensive line if we commit 10 penalties a game and keep fumbling punts, etc.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Yodude, when you're on an airplane, and they ask "would you like the chicken or the fish?" do you answer: "I'd like the steak."

Just wondering. :redface:

Quote Originally Posted by NickSeiler
    I'm not so sure he slips to the middle of the second round or later. I guess it depends on how things play out. If Baas is off the board, I'd take the best tackle available. But if it comes to be our pick and guys like Winston or Barron are gone and Baas is there, I'd take him.
    Maybe so. The OTs are much deeper this year than the OGs in the draft, so a quality tackle may be found in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Misuse of the salary cap.

1. Too much money given to Warner.
    2. Either sign OP long term or let him walk. The tag money is killing us.
    3. The Turley trade is eating up cap money as well.

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Lack of talent on one side of the ball, caused by high expenses on the other.

Hasselbeck8MVP is offline Registered User

This is an outsiders POV...as I watch the Rams as much as I can when the Seahawks are not playing against them on the field or at the same time on TV

But you guys don't have a lack of talent on offense...that is once scary looking set of players on that side of the ball. Bulger with time is one of the most accurate QB's in the league and then with Holt, Faulk, Jackson (who will be a stud), Bruce, and so on...that's a lot of weapons on offense.

The way you play defensively is your achilles heel IMO...I think the loss of Lovie Smith hurt more so than a lot of people were expecting.

Martz is a different type of coach - he makes really boneheaded decisions at times, but really great ones as well. I don't think it's coaching in that sense...I think it's lack of talent on defense.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Yes, there is some lack of talent on the defensive side...but that in no way explains or excuses the amount of stupid penalties we seem to commit on a weekly basis. In 8 games so far, we've committed 63 penalties for 496 yards. That's 7.85 per game for 62 yards.

What's more telling, however, is that in the 4 losses, we've committed 37 penalties for 303 yards. That's an average of 9.25 per game for 75.5 yards.

That's just plain not acceptable. I'm not asking for perfection...but those numbers are concerning. How can you overcome a combination of killing your own offensive drives or keeping the opposing teams' drives alive 9 times per game? You can't. Especially with this defense.

You know what this tells me? That 50 % of the times this year, the team has been unprepared to play it's opposition. Whether it's the players not executing, or the coaching staff not demanding discipline, it doesn't matter. It's one or the other or both. Either way it's inexcusable.

And Av, to answer your question, I'd sit there without being able to decide which entre to pick until the flight attendant slapped me. You should see me in a restaurant, I can't make up my mind to save my life!
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Yo, very good point. It's more alarming when you see things broken down like that. Nice job.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

I am going with poor coaching.

Penalties and mistakes can be pointed back to the coaches that did not prepare the players to play smart, mistake-free football. The defense has not been the same since Lovie started thinking about being a Head Coach. Most of the same defensive players are still on the team and they are playing with a lower level of intensity than last season.

Look at this, even a simple Seahawk fan can see that the defense is not pulling it's weight. And why is that.... Lovie Smith is gone. Coaching is the biggest problem this year.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast