Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Be it that they have had good seasons, or have shown flashes, who do you think, from our current crop of players, should be back next year?

    QB: Keith Null
    RB: Steven Jackson
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Donnie Avery
    WR: Laurent Robinson
    WR: Brandon Gibson
    WR: Danny Amendola
    TE: Billy Bajema
    OT: Jason Smith
    OT: Adam Goldberg
    OG: Jason Bell
    OG: Mark Setterstrom
    C: Jason Brown

    DE: Chris Long
    DE: CJ Ah You
    DT: Clifton Ryan
    DT: Darell Scott
    DT: Leger Douzable
    LB: James Laurinaitis
    LB: David Vobora
    CB: Bradley Fletcher
    FS: OJ Atogwe
    FS: Craig Dahl

    K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones

    This isnt a list of starters for next year, its a list of players that ive liked the look of and who i think can do some good for us next year. Someone like Billy Bajema has been a good blocker and has shown an ability to catch, and will be a good backup TE for us. Adam Goldberg's ability to fill in on most positions on the line is good for a backup T and G, same with Mark Setterstrom at G and C. Guys like Ah You and Douzable have shown good ability in limited time. Craig Dahl always seems to be around the ball when he is on the field and can hit pretty well.

    Im not sure if any of these guya are free agents, and there are clearly players signed to big contracts that will be back, but i think these guys deserve a shot.

    I think the main reason for this is that the majority of these guys are playing with heart and passion, despite us being a losing team late in the season.


  2. #2
    The Rammer's Avatar
    The Rammer is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    213
    Rep Power
    5

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    I'm 100% sure that the plan for next year is to have Null, Reilly, then add somebody else to start (or backup if Null does well). The way the Rams talked about Reilly made me think that they planned to have him for next year and Null is playing at least well enough to be a backup. He'll certainly play much better in the next 2 weeks.

    I think that Darby has made his way on, obviously Jackson too.

    Avery, Amendola, and Keenen Burton will definitely be on, possibly Ruvell Martin.

    At Tight End, Fells and Bajema should stay, McMichael should not.

    On the o-line, I think we'll have the same players except for Barron. I think Setterstrom is a fine replacement for Incognito and Greco could be a starter down the road.

    Mike Karney is a future Ram, too.


    On the other side of the ball, I think our secondary will remain the same. If we didn't have all these injuries to Bradley Fletcher and Ron Bartell (he played through a thigh injury that clearly affected his play in the first half of the season). Jonathon Wade will be back this week and will probably be on next year, I believe he's got some talent, and Justin King is playing very well. Atogwe and James Butler will obviously be back. Quincy Butler hopefully will not. I hope we can get somebody else, though, at cornerback or as a nickelback who can make plays. We need more than just safeties to make plays.

    On the D-line, Long and Little (should he not retire) will be back and I think Scott and Ryan are doing a nice job up front. Scott won't start next year if Suh is on the team, but he'll be on the roster.

    At Linebacker, Laurinaitis should stay and I think Paris Lenon is doing a nice job. Vabora should not. I think we should try to get 2 linebackers to surround Laurinaitis, but if not Lenon is okay.

    In Special Teams, Jones and Brown need to stay, and Jordan Kent has done a great job recently in punt coverage. I believe we need to retain as many people as we can, this is definitely a strength this year (not counting the Saints getting a Kick Return touchdown, that was just one play though).



    Fun Fact: Jordan Kent is the son of Oregon basketball coach Ernie Kent.

  3. #3
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Vabora should not.
    What has Vobora done to not even deserve a back up job next year?

  4. #4
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    IMO, nobody has done enough to guarantee their spot next year.

    This roster is so devoid of talent being on its current form is more an indictment than an exculpation. Now, I'm sure those who actually have talent (Jackson, J-Lau, etc.) will find themselves the leading candidate at their respective positions. However, if I'm DeSpags, I take those under contract plus all the best talent I can find to make up a camp roster.........then all bets are off. The best 53 make it, the rest don't.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  5. #5
    laram0's Avatar
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Massachusetts
    Age
    57
    Posts
    9,151
    Rep Power
    107

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Be it that they have had good seasons, or have shown flashes, who do you think, from our current crop of players, should be back next year?

    QB: Keith Null
    RB: Steven Jackson
    FB: Mike Karney
    WR: Donnie Avery
    WR: Laurent Robinson
    WR: Brandon Gibson
    WR: Danny Amendola
    TE: Billy Bajema
    OT: Jason Smith
    OT: Adam Goldberg
    OG: Jason Bell
    OG: Mark Setterstrom
    C: Jason Brown

    DE: Chris Long
    DE: CJ Ah You
    DT: Clifton Ryan
    DT: Darell Scott
    DT: Leger Douzable
    LB: James Laurinaitis
    LB: David Vobora
    CB: Bradley Fletcher
    FS: OJ Atogwe
    FS: Craig Dahl

    K: Josh Brown
    P: Donnie Jones

    This isnt a list of starters for next year, its a list of players that ive liked the look of and who i think can do some good for us next year. Someone like Billy Bajema has been a good blocker and has shown an ability to catch, and will be a good backup TE for us. Adam Goldberg's ability to fill in on most positions on the line is good for a backup T and G, same with Mark Setterstrom at G and C. Guys like Ah You and Douzable have shown good ability in limited time. Craig Dahl always seems to be around the ball when he is on the field and can hit pretty well.

    Im not sure if any of these guya are free agents, and there are clearly players signed to big contracts that will be back, but i think these guys deserve a shot.

    I think the main reason for this is that the majority of these guys are playing with heart and passion, despite us being a losing team late in the season.
    We have one win this season.....We have been blown out in more games than I care to remember. How could so many players be on that list???? Alot of us are going to be very very surprised by the moves SPAGS makes during this offseason.

  6. #6
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    34
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    We have one win this season.....We have been blown out in more games than I care to remember. How could so many players be on that list???? Alot of us are going to be very very surprised by the moves SPAGS makes during this offseason.
    That's only 25 out of 53 players on the roster listed above, and I can add a few more that I think will be around ....

    As it stands, that leaves 28 more ...

    You're telling me that Spags is going to add 28 or more NEW players to the roster?

    Yea, I don't think so.

  7. #7
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    That's only 25 out of 53 players on the roster listed above, and I can add a few more that I think will be around ....

    As it stands, that leaves 28 more ...

    You're telling me that Spags is going to add 28 or more NEW players to the roster?

    Yea, I don't think so.
    Could happen, RI. Of the current 53, only 25 were on the roster last year.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  8. #8
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    why are we putting next years team together when this years team still has 2 games to go ?

  9. #9
    tomahawk247's Avatar
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Essex, England
    Age
    27
    Posts
    4,649
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    why are we putting next years team together when this years team still has 2 games to go ?
    Yes there are two games to go but is anything going to change in these two games?

  10. #10
    Goldenfleece's Avatar
    Goldenfleece is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,586
    Rep Power
    59

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    On offense, I'd say Laurent Robinson and Danny Amendola at receiver, Jackson and Karney at runningback, Daniel Fells at tight end, Jason Smith and Jason Brown on the offensive line.

    On defense, Laurinaitis is a lock, but Vobora and Lenon have decent odds. Also, Atogwe, James Butler, and Dahl seem strong at safety. I'd assume Long and Ryan will return on the defensive line based on their play. Josh Brown and Donnie Jones almost go without saying on special teams.

    We'll keep more than that, but those are the ones I'd say have earned it based on their production this season. Some will be back because they're still learning (Bradley Fletcher, Darrell Scott, etc.) or showed promise but were injured before they made their mark (Gary Gibson perhaps). Others because of past merits or because we have nothing better (potentially Bulger on one account or the other).
    Last edited by Goldenfleece; -12-24-2009 at 11:25 AM.

  11. #11
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Guys, I appreciate the thought, but it escapes me how any roster spot on a 1-13 team is safe.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  12. #12
    RebelYell's Avatar
    RebelYell is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    St. Louis ,Missouri
    Posts
    2,338
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Guys, I appreciate the thought, but it escapes me how any roster spot on a 1-13 team is safe.
    You think Steven Jackson could be cut?

  13. #13
    HUbison's Avatar
    HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kentucky
    Age
    40
    Posts
    13,543
    Rep Power
    144

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    You think Steven Jackson could be cut?
    I was speaking generally, of course. As I stated earlier, there are 2 or 3 players (Jackson at the top of that very short list) who will most certainly be at the top of the depth chart, regardless of how the offseason plays out.

    However, that 1/4th, 1/3rd, 1/2, or more of this talent lacking roster can have their spot guaranteed simply escapes me. That's all I was saying.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

  14. #14
    jkramsfan's Avatar
    jkramsfan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Destin,Fl.
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,507
    Rep Power
    44

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Yes there are two games to go but is anything going to change in these two games?
    I was only messing with you guys,I could less about next year at this point,I just want to win this Sunday,Happy Holidays Everyone

  15. #15
    Dominating D's Avatar
    Dominating D is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    829
    Rep Power
    20

    Re: What Rams do you think have played their way on to next years roster?

    Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Could happen, RI. Of the current 53, only 25 were on the roster last year.
    BINGO

    That may explain why the Rams only have 1 win. Maybe trying to build a cohesive unit that works hard and together may help chalk up some more Wins.

    IMHO I started to see more productive play as the line remain intact. Unfortuantely, with injuries and the idiot that can not keep his cool the lineup has once again been changed.... but we've seen some encouraging effort. Give these guys some time to work together and maybe if the Rams are fortunate they can keep a lineup of WR and QB's together in a system year 2 and production such improve drastically.

    The grass is always greener somewhere the question is can the Rams work as a team and manage to identify thier own talent and coach and scheme around it. If the answer is, yes, then next year should be encouraging as a Rams fan.

    GO Rams
    Last edited by Dominating D; -12-24-2009 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chat w/ Jim Thomas - Feb 24th
    By Nick in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: -02-25-2009, 07:01 PM
  2. Jim Thomas Chat --March 25
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: -03-25-2008, 06:58 PM
  3. Jim Thomas Live, November 6, 2007
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -11-06-2007, 06:41 PM
  4. Jim Thomas Live, October 30
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-30-2007, 08:58 PM
  5. Postgame With Gordo
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -10-22-2007, 02:43 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •