• 2 Post By Flippin' Ram
  • 1 Post By Ramendola16
  • 2 Post By Rambos

Thread: What Rams should like most about opener

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What Rams should like most about opener

What Rams should like most about opener

By Mike Sando

Rookie Lance Kendricks keeps strengthening the St. Louis Rams' belief that he can become an integral part of their offense, even as a rookie.

The second-round draft choice from Wisconsin won over quarterback Sam Bradford right away in training camp.

Kendricks won over a broader audience Saturday night with five receptions for 47 yards and a touchdown during the Rams' 33-10 victory over Indianapolis in the preseason opener.

Kendricks made four of his five receptions on third-and-5 or longer. He lined up just outside and behind right tackle Jason Smith before catching his touchdown pass on third-and-goal from the 6 on the Rams' first possession.

Kendricks stood up in his stance, ran across the formation and cut past linebacker Kavell Conner to make the reception at about the 2-yard line. He turned upfield and in the same motion secured the ball in his outside arm. Cornerback Jerraud Powers tried to take out Kendricks at the legs, but Kendricks ran over him and then through safety Melvin Bullitt.

Whether the Rams have sufficient front-line talent at wide receiver remains a subject for discussion. Kendricks' pass-catching ability increasingly must figure into the mix.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Re: What Rams should like most about opener

Kendricks is pretty much the key to defeating the Eagles, attacking the middle is their Achilles Heel with their weak LB corps and questionable safeties. Looks like he's a prime candidate of becoming the Greatest Rams Tight End of all Time.
    Judaxi and RKDfan like this.

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

This kid may have just worked his way onto my Fantasy Football roster. Nobody's going to draft him, but I can see him getting 800+ yards and 8+ TDs on the season.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Ramendola16 View Post
    This kid may have just worked his way onto my Fantasy Football roster. Nobody's going to draft him, but I can see him getting 800+ yards and 8+ TDs on the season.
    Those are numbers on the Gonzalez/Witten/Clark level, which I don't see Kendricks hitting as a rookie. However, the best season a Rams tight end has put together in a while was Randy McMichael's 2007 debut (39 rec. for 429 yards and 3 TDs), and given how comfortable Sam is looking for him in the passing game, I think Kendricks has a good chance to reach and surpass McMichael's mark.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is online now Registered User

Well, what's not to like about game #1?

First of all, let me say that I was impressed with the Oline protection and run blocking. The first unit (and backups) did a very nice job for the first time out. Very impressive.

Number two on my list would be the play of Feeley. I thought he looked better than I though he would after reading reports and seeing video of him in practice and scrimmage. He didn't look confused and threw the ball rather well. This is an important part of the Rams puzzle, make no mistake about it. Bradford played all 16 games last year. The likelihood of him making 16 more this year are against him. He's sure to get a nick or ding here or there. The number two QB will need to step up.

Next, I'd say that I was very impressed (although not too surprised) by how well our new Cadillac ran. Norwood and Toston looked good as well. Toston is making a bid for a spot here or somewhere.

Because our defensive group was a bit hard to get a look at because of all the missing guys on the sidelines nursing injuries, I'll just say this. Run defense looked good with a definite improvement in the LB corp, being quick to stuff the run and fill the gaps. Our DB's seemed a bit confused and slow to react at times but like I said, there were virtually no starters in the game together and any time. But we're still a little thin there and probably our weakest area on the team. Also, there wasn't a lot of pressure on the QB, but that could have been by design...

Our new TE. Outstanding job by Kendrick. making the most of his first start. It appears that Kendrick and Amendola will be Bradford's go-to-guys. Speadking of Amendola.... I know it's early but he is still head and shoulders the best receiver on the field for the Rams. ...and that's not necessarily a good thing. If I were to be critical of any area of the Rams game yesterday, I'd have to say I was a little underwhelmed with the WR group. Not having a speed guy like Avery is making it difficult on the group as a whole to find (or get) seperation. They're just not good at setting up a defender and getting enough separation. Bradford is still reluctant to go to the medium and long throws. It's just one game, I know, but I'd like to see the WR's pick it up. There was one play (a play-action I believe) that Bradford had all the time in the world to throw but Gibson ( I think) ran the wrong route. He read the coverage differently than Bradford did. It could have been a big gain or TD had they both been on the same page. Again, it's just one game.

Special teams were special. Good coverage on kickoffs and punts. ...but why is it I have little confidence in Gilyard catching kicks? I don't know what it is, but he doesn't inspire confidence back there.

...and lastly, the first string played an incredibly clean game. That was hard to believe with only a couple of weeeks together. Especially with all the new guys. Good job there.

I've now watched all four NFC west teams play and first impressions are that the Rams seem to be a little ahead of the curve out-of-the-gate. Very encouraging.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

RKDfan is offline Registered User

I was able to pick him up in the final round of the draft in a 14 team league.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I liked this guy too he looks like the real deal but he did drop a few and he is a rookie. I think if he can grab 45 receptions, 600 plus yards 5 td's AND STAY HEALTHY, this would make for a very productive season for this young man.

Rambos is online now Registered User

Those are numbers on the Gonzalez/Witten/Clark level, which I don't see Kendricks hitting as a rookie. However, the best season a Rams tight end has put together in a while was Randy McMichael's 2007 debut (39 rec. for 429 yards and 3 TDs), and given how comfortable Sam is looking for him in the passing game, I think Kendricks has a good chance to reach and surpass McMichael's mark.

I see Kendricks in his rookie year beating those numbers easy.

I will say 700 yards plus.... Sam likes the short easy completion

1 | 2 | 3 next
    Tight End Rk Player Team Pos Rec Yds Avg Yds/G Lng TD 20+ 40+ 1st 1st% FUM
    1 Jason Witten DAL TE 94 1,002 10.7 62.6 33 9 13 0 49 52.1 1
    2 Vernon Davis SF TE 56 914 16.3 57.1 66T 7 16 5 35 62.5 0
    3 Chris Cooley WAS TE 77 849 11.0 53.1 35 3 9 0 40 51.9 3
    4 Antonio Gates SD TE 50 782 15.6 78.2 48T 10 15 1 42 84.0 0
    5 Benjamin Watson CLE TE 68 763 11.2 47.7 44 3 10 1 40 58.8 0
    6 Kellen Winslow TB TE 66 730 11.1 45.6 41T 5 10 2 36 54.5 1
    7 Brandon Pettigrew DET TE 710 722 10.2 45.1 35 4 8 0 35 49.3 0
    8 Marcedes Lewis JAC TE 58 700 12.1 43.8 42T 10 9 1 37 63.8 2

One thing I think people may be forgetting... Kendricks did a heck of a job with his blocking. Take a look at the our first running play (11 yards up the middle). Kendricks is isolated against a DE on the play, and a failed block would destroy the whole thing. Not only does Kendricks make the block, but he also gets enough of a push to give Cadillac a huge hole. I think this kid can really be the whole package. If he teams up with Uh-Oh (who I also think can be the whole package, if healthy), you're looking at 2 giant mismatches roaming the middle of the field.
    RealRam likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

One thing I think people may be forgetting... Kendricks did a heck of a job with his blocking. Take a look at the our first running play (11 yards up the middle). Kendricks is isolated against a DE on the play, and a failed block would destroy the whole thing. Not only does Kendricks make the block, but he also gets enough of a push to give Cadillac a huge hole. I think this kid can really be the whole package. If he teams up with Uh-Oh (who I also think can be the whole package, if healthy), you're looking at 2 giant mismatches roaming the middle of the field.
    Remember though, he was blocking the likes of 2nd or 3rd stringers, not Dwight Freeney so until he can par with solid DTs and DEs, I wouldn't consider his blocking skills amazing just yet.

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Remember though, he was blocking the likes of 2nd or 3rd stringers, not Dwight Freeney so until he can par with solid DTs and DEs, I wouldn't consider his blocking skills amazing just yet.
    On that play, Kendricks' man is a first round pick who weighed roughly 15 pounds more than him. It's not Freeney, sure, but how often will he be asked to block a Freeney-level player?

Rambos is online now Registered User

Here is the first play of the game take a look at the blocking

RealRam and RAMFANRAIDERHATER like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

On the play he blocked Jerry Hughes (#92).

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks Rambos for placing this analytical video! Very good.

This is one play, one game -- 1st preseason game. OL did an excellent job there.

Here's hoping this blocking strength be repeated many, MANY times during the regular season. With the impressive potential / tools the Rams have on offense, we may certainly go deep into winning if the blocking can execute like this. So many play designs to carry out, so many opportunities. At this point Kendricks sure does look promising.

Can't wait for the Rams 1st team to get in there and take real estate, game after game!

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Wish we would have converted a few more RZ opportunities into TDs instead of FGs. But hey no room to complain, the game was exactly how we wanted to play and win.

And two words on what I liked about the opener (no questions, absolutely, period!) and that is: Lance Kendricks...