evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow What Ravens' fans think about Kyle Boller...

I liked the signing, but it was still surprising to me that most of the comments about him were positive and supportive.

Quote Originally Posted by theFRANCHISE
    I actually hope he succeeds in St. Louis and replaces Marc Bulger. For all of his mistakes, I still appreciated how much he put up with us when we were dogging him for his poor performance. He could've broken down like so many QBs before him, but instead, he kept getting right back up.

He's a sentimental favorite, even though I hope he never takes another meaningful snap under center for the Ravens ever again, so long as Joe Flacco is around.
    Quote Originally Posted by neepo13
    I am about to trade him away. jk.

Kyle is probably one of the few FA we've lost that I do wish well, mostly because I am glad he's gone.

Interesting twist. Didnt the Rams new C call Kyle out in his opening press confrence?
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERBOWLorBUST
    I too wish him luck, and hope that he succeeds. He has a good heart for the game and really does give it his all.....he's a tough kid
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX123
    I hope that Boller does well. He has a really good shot at getting the starting job. I can def see him giving Bulger a run for the starting spot. I am sure he is happy to get out of here. I mean anytime a player gets hurt at home and the fans cheer, it is time to think about leaving town. I do wish him well though. He gets to play with Jason Brown again. I am corius to see how he plays with a new team. It might be exactly what he needs in order to to play better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator_3
    Poor Kyle. I was so hoping he could land in a good situation. He was always such a class act. As badly as the fans treated him, he never had a bad word to say about it.
    you know though, I bet that he explodes if he is given the chance.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan2430
    i did not care for him as a qb whatsoever, but like u said he showed a lot of class....
    Quote Originally Posted by edreedfromtheu
    The Ravens don't play the Rams this year... what a shame. I've always wanted to see Ray and Reed finally get their revenge for Boller always throwing away the field position that the defense and special teams would get him. Ravens don't play St. Louis until 2011... unless they change the divisions around or the rotations around.
    Quote Originally Posted by cdog2
    I just think it ifs funny that Jason Brown called him gun shy! Now he may have to snap the ball to him.Carma..........
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRaven
    What comes around goes around Jason Brown

Good luck Boller, you were pretty horrible, but at least you gave it everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Samari
    Na na na na, hey hey hey

Not really gonna miss him, but did appreciate his class
    Quote Originally Posted by beetus
    I will always have a special place in my heart for Kyle, sort of like the fat kid on the track team that everyone cheered for even though he was always coming in last.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravensfan23
    What a difference a couple of years can make in the NFL. In 2006 we are talkin about how Boller will learn from Steve. Now they are both gone and in comes Flacco and the only QB story is whose the better back up.

I do wish Boller the best as i though he was never really put in a good position to succed. I don't think Kyle will explode as someone else mentioned because Boller's biggest downfall are his footwork and decision making, and if he hasn't gotten that right by now he probably won't.

STL is a pretty good place for Kyle. He gets to start over and he is playing behind a injury prone older QB.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmoreRav
    I wish him well!!

In some games he proved that he could be a beast but he never had the consistency. I just never felt comfortable with the offense in his hands!!
    I was either expecting a Jamal run or a Boller pick lol, i hope he turns his career around though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator_3
    I'll never forget those back-to-back prime time games against the Packers and Vikings. I really thought Kyle had finally "found it". Then the next week he totally laid an egg in Cleveland. He was a real fan heart-breaker.
    Quote Originally Posted by justiftythegame
    This is a little wierd.... for me that is. Because Marc Bulger is my fav QB. And i've always wanted to see Boller succeed on the Ravens and have been so frustrated at how Kyle really had no weapons to throw to when first starting off and having one of the worst pass protections in the NFL. Right when Cam Cameron comes in and whips the OL into shape, Kyle goes on IR. Don't get me wrong, i think Flacco is a ton better, but i've always hoped for Kyle to succeed. With the Jets having no serious QB, and rumors that Rex having his eye on Kyle, i was hoping Kyle was going to get a shot behind the Jets fantastic OL with Cotchery to throw to. But now Kyle goes to the Rams where he will be a back up. Bulger is a pro bowl QB, but their OL was downright the absolute worst in football. Bulger has suffered countless injuries, even the Rams 2nd and 3rd string QBs have suffered injuries over the past 4 years. Its amazing how Bulger somehow managed to be successful from time to time behind that OL - it is mostly due to the fact that Bulger had Torry holt to just chuck bombs to before getting killed. If the OL hasn't improved (i dont think adding a C and losing a former pro bowl T improves anything), i think Boller will get to play some games because Bulger will go on IR again. But i don't think Boller will be successful because his pass protection will be a lot worse than it was in bmore and he won't even have a Todd Heap or Mason to throw to. If Holt was around, he would've had a chance. I hope it was a 1 year contract and he plays elsewhere in another year. Heck i hope Bulger and SJAX get to play elsewhere also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 72Marshall
    The Kyle Boller basher would have you believe that but if you read the entire quote in context he did not call him out, he was explaining how a qb needs to have faith in his OL of which Kyle had none and rightfully so. If Kyle had a decent OL he would have been a much better QB. When you only have 2 seconds to do whatever it is your doing it's hard to be effective. Mike Flynn was a major factor in why the Ravens had no OL for the last 5 years, they was one dimensional in that they could only run block but by the end they couldn't even do that.

I'm happy for Kyle that he will get a shot some where as I knew he would. Unfortunately around here there are more people with little football knowledge to know that Kyle couldn't take a snap, block the defense, throw the ball and catch it. It takes a team but Kyle got all the blame. He would hit receivers in the numbers but the receivers would drop the ball; would the fans blame the receivers? No they blamed Kyle. 1.5 seconds after the snap there would be a defender in the backfield running down Kyle from behind; did they blame the OL? No they blamed Kyle. Mike Flynn stepped on every qb's foot tripping them from Anthony Wright to Kyle Boller to Steve McNair; did any of the other qb's get the blame? NO it was the OL. Did the OL get the blame when Kyle was behind center? No it was Kyle's fault.

I just became a secondary Rams fan and honestly because of the ignorance of the fans and the treatment they gave Kyle Boller; if the Ravens end up playing the Rams with Kyle under center regardless of the situation i.e. pre-season, regular season or playoffs I don't know that I could root for the Ravens in that situation. I would be the biggest Rams fan and Kyle Boller fan and would feel gratified watching the Ravens fans go home with their heads hung. I would be in a no lose situation but would feel a lot better if the Rams won.

I know a lot of you will blast me for saying that, but it's just football and I don't live and die to be a Ravens fan, its only entertainment to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by darklight1216
    I'm reminded of the lyrics from a Fall Out Boy song: "Thanks for memories, even though they weren't so great."
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Dog
    I truthfully expect to hear good things from Boller in the future.

No one can argue there was glimpses of greatness here and there, unfortunatly those glipnses were clouded by massive amounts of tripping over his own two feet and imploding recievers breast bones with line drives from five yards away.
    I think the right setting the right coaching and leadership the guy has tons of potential.
    Quote Originally Posted by WACCO4FLACC0
    I HOPE U GET SACKED ALL DAY BUDDY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moiles
    I hope Bulger goes down and Boller goes in and lands a starting job. Im glad we have flacco now but Boller will always hold a part in my ravens heart hahahaha but seriously, i wish the dude well!
    I hope he gets to start too...I'd like to see what he can do in a different system
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenskid2085
    I wish Kyle the best. I liked him alot as a person, he was a good guy, he just couldnt get it done on the field.
    I think hes going to get alot of playing time with the Rams this year, since Bulger isnt the same anymore.
    I have all the respect in the world for Kyle, especially how he handled it when he was cheered when he was injured during the '05 season opener. He handled it like a man, and didnt wine and complain about it. Think of how some quarterbacks *cough* Jay Cutler *cough* wouldve handled that.

Good Luck Kyle!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleeding_Purple
    I was hoping he would end up somewhere that didn't have a clear-cut starter (Jets, Denver, Buccaneers, *****, etc.) so he could earn the starting job. If he can go anywhere that has a legitimate offensive coordinator, I think he can realize his potential. I was really hoping he would sign with San Francisco who I think is going to do very well this year under Mike Singletary. But, with Bulger constantly going down, he'll probably get a chance to start at some point. His status as a starter might have taken a hiatus, but it's not over yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple_Punishment
    That New England game will always set in my mind as Kyle Bollers greatest game. I think it ranks number 2 in the Ravens greatest games even though it was a loss. We played a very intense emotional game. In my heart we won that game....good ol Rex had to call the timeout though
    Quote Originally Posted by theFRANCHISE
    That's tied with the GB game for me, when it comes to Boller's all-time greatest games.

He played with a different swagger that I had never seen from him. He walked into the huddle confidently, and walked up to the line as if he was unfazed by the situation. He made throws that I had never seen him make (not even in the GB game), and he was keeping plays alive surprisingly well. He was fired up, but just let his play speak for him. That performance was basically the precursor to what we have now in Joe Flacco.
    Quote Originally Posted by PSU_RAVEN
    I hope KB does well with the rams and I always liked his attitude. but it was so frustrating with him here. I mean they probably don't track this but does he hold the record for most unaided fall downs by a QB? or fumbling while running?
    Quote Originally Posted by saved72907
    (replying to 72Marshall's quote)I agree 100 percent with everything you just said. Finally someone else who saw the real truth. Kyle was just a victim of the press. He got criticized on every pass he threw, even completions. They would point out any imperfection they could find even when he was doing well. But when Flacco throws a pass, and Clayton has to dive headlong to make a fingertip grab, or slow down to an almost stop to catch a badly underthrown ball, all you heard was praises for Flacco, and what a great arm he's got. I wish I had video to prove my point, but I don't so it's pointless to get into it. I sure hope Kyle explodes in St. Louis. There's gonna be alot of people wishing we had him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vermielman
    Well, as an outsider looking in I fail to see the reason for the love. The guy has CFL written all over him.
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodRaven
    Lets call a spade a spade, Boller in all his years couldnt do what Flacco and McNair have done. Lead a below average offense to the playoffs. Hes a horrible QB.

Good luck anyway Boller.
    And finally...

A Goodbye To Kyle Boller From a Ravens Fan
    by Adi Sharma

Well, it's the end of an era in Baltimore. The Kyle Boller Experiment officially ended on Saturday, when the seventh year quarterback signed with the St. Louis Rams.

Let's take a chance to look back at Boller's tenure with the Ravens and what could have been.

In 2003, the Ravens had the 10th pick in the NFL Draft, which they used to draft Terrell Suggs (a great selection), but they panicked due to their lack of quarterback and traded their second round pick and a first rounder in 2004 (which was more stacked in the first round than 2003 by the way) to the Patriots for the 19th pick which they used to select the California signal-caller.

In his years with the Ravens, Boller's time has been plagued by injury and inconsistency. In his rookie year, he went 5-3 before going down with an injury.

His best year was in 2004, when he started every game, threw for 2,559 yards, 13 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Ravens' fans rejoiced as the team had finally found a franchise quarterback for the first time since 1996. Or so it seemed.

He struggled mightily in 2005, prompting the Ravens to trade for proven veteran Steve McNair, and the team shuffled between the two quarterbacks through injuries and various other reasons for the next three seasons.

Boller's shining moment came in a Monday Night loss to the then-undefeated Patriots in 2007. He almost led the Ravens past the Patriots and that game was the closest that the Patriots came to losing until Super Bowl XLII.

Still, the pinnacle of Boller's Ravens career was too little too late.

The Ravens drafted Joe Flacco out of Delaware in the 2008 NFL Draft and new coach John Harbaugh declared a three-way competition between Flacco, Boller, and Troy Smith.

However, in the preseason, Boller suffered a shoulder injury, which put him out for the season. Flacco became the starter by default after an illness to Smith, and his play in 2008 solidified his spot as the Ravens starter for the future, thus rendering Boller useless except in a veteran backup role (which is already occupied by Todd Bouman).

Boller has undeniable talent, so it's just strange that he wasn't able to succeed in the NFL. He had a cannon for an arm and could scramble pretty well.

Some say it was the lack of a good offensive line, but it was the same offensive that helped Jamal Lewis rush for over 2,000 yards in a season, anchored by one of the best tackles in NFL history in Jonathan Ogden.

Others say it was the lack of good talent around him, but sometimes that really wasn't the case.

McNair led the team to a 13-3 record with essentially the same receivers and backs that Boller had during that era. Lewis was one of the best backs in the league during this time, Todd Heap was a premier tight end, Derrick Mason was still very good (and still is), and Mark Clayton was an up-and-coming effective receiver.

The one reason that really makes sense for Boller's lack of success in Baltimore were the intangibles.

Boller had a gunslinger mentality where he would throw it deep whether it was prudent or not (more frequently, the latter). Other times, instead of just throwing the ball away, he would hold on the ball too long which would usually end badly for him.

This is what sets him apart from Flacco, who realizes that punts aren't necessarily a bad thing, so is willing to throw the ball away if he sees nothing.

So, now it's just a question as to what Boller's Raven legacy will be. No doubt, he will be considered the first and biggest draft bust in Ravens history (for that matter, the only real Ravens draft bust).

There were some extenuating circumstances, but the fact of the matter is that the Ravens reached on him and that he wasn't ready to be a starting NFL quarterback.

His legacy will also be the most frustrating Raven for the fans. He would have flashes of brilliance that would get fans hopes up, only to have his incompetence take over the following week leading Raven fans to curse and cry for hours upon days upon weeks.

Repeat for seven years.

Those who see the glass as half-full also see the Ravens career leader in games started, passing yards, and completions. But just watching him play, he just left you wishing for more.

Maybe he would have succeeded in a better offense. Cam Cameron is more offensive and his schemes were a big reason why Flacco's rookie season was so successful.

Maybe Boller would have been just as effective, if not more had he stayed healthy and been the starter this season.

Or maybe he would have held on the ball until he gets sacked or thrown it 75 yards downfield for an interception every play. Who really knows.

What we do know is that while Boller lacked the leadership to be an effective quarterback in Baltimore, he was a classy player through and through.

Despite being ripped by fans and the media throughout his tenure, you would never see him complain, pass the blame, or say anything negative about the fans or the city of Baltimore.

Even this season, when he was on IR from the preseason, he was still at every single game cheering on his teammates and helping the young Flacco as if he was a healthy back-up.

As a Ravens fan, I appreciate Boller's years of service in Baltimore. At many times (almost all the time to be honest), Boller frustrated me and I just wanted a new quarterback, but he gave it his all every game and stayed classy throughout some rocky times.

I wish him the best of luck in St. Louis and hopefully, he can finally mold that potential and upside into consistent, solid play.

Here's to you, Boller. I sincerely thank you and wish you luck with the Rams. Goodbye.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: What Ravens' fans think about Kyle Boller...

Geez Disco, that is quite a copy and paste from the Ravens board. Interesting reading. Thanks.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Looks like the Ravens have some classy fans. That's good to see.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Keenum is offline Registered User

From what I can remember, he was actually good whenever he was the backup and was called upon. I think it was he and Kurt Warner in the battle of the backups years ago with the Cardinals and Ravens, when both of them came out of nowhere with big games and that huge near-comeback by the Cards.
    No doubt he's got a great arm, maybe he can improve as a whole though and fill in nicely when needed. I do hope that our O-line is good enough that we don't need to use him next year!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Why would it surprise you most of the comments were positive and supportive??

The comments from Rams fans are positive because we are looking at Boller as a capable backup guy; the comments would be very different if he had been brought in to replace Bulger. Ravens fans who watched this guy start for a couple of seasons would have an understandably different view.

In this league, you need a serviceable backup to come in and win a game for you in the event your starting QB goes down. No longer can you get away with having some scrub as your backup if you want to salvage a season in the event of catastrophe to your starter. As a young guy with starting experience and a good arm, why WOULDN'T Boller be embraced? You could certainly do a heck of a lot worse.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Why would it surprise you most of the comments were positive and supportive??

The comments from Rams fans are positive because we are looking at Boller as a capable backup guy; the comments would be very different if he had been brought in to replace Bulger. Ravens fans who watched this guy start for a couple of seasons would have an understandably different view.

In this league, you need a serviceable backup to come in and win a game for you in the event your starting QB goes down. No longer can you get away with having some scrub as your backup if you want to salvage a season in the event of catastrophe to your starter. As a young guy with starting experience and a good arm, why WOULDN'T Boller be embraced? You could certainly do a heck of a lot worse.
    I meant I was surprised that comments by Ravens fans were generally positive and supportive. Considering he was a 1st round bust at QB for them, I was expecting to see more "don't let the door hit you on the way out" remarks. Must be easy for them to get over it now that they have Joe Flacco.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Oh, O.K. That makes sense. I guess Ravens fans consider it to be "addition by subtraction" and like you said, now they have Flacco. They're also coming off a successful season, so they're probably not inclined to rip a guy on the way out.