Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What is really going on at the PD

Have you noticed how many articles, blogs and Q&As have been posted at the PD site in the last week regarding Stan Kroenke's attempt to buy the Rams and the supposed impact on the team?

It begs the question: why, when there has been so little movement on the sale front (apart from the revelation that Stan might try to sell the team to his wife Ann to get around cross-ownership prohibitions), would the PD be devoting so much time and energy to this?

Is it merely because this is the slowest time of the year for NFL news? Perhaps, though I recall in previous years they were content to just focus on other sports during this time.

I think there's more to it.

A few weeks back, the PD had a blitz of articles raising concerns over the possibility that Kroenke's endgame might be to move the team. This went on for a week or so until Kroenke finally (and contrary to his normal practice) made a public statement denouncing the notion that he desires to move the team from St. Louis.

I think that's our clue as to what is going here.

The PD does not like Kroenke for one simple reason: he does not like to talk to the press. He is content to work on the transaction in private without giving the media a play-by-play to dissect. He makes public statements only when he feels it is appropriate or, as was the case with the PD's relentless "he's moving the team to L.A." spin, he is drawn out of his shell.

That's what the PD is trying to do right now. They are trying to spin the rumor mill to a point where Kroenke will have to say something.

Is that an appropriate role for the media? I'll let you decide that for yourself.

As a fan, though, I would rather let Kroenke work on the deal the way he sees fit. I trust that he and his advisors know what they are doing, and will find a way to acquire the team and move it forward.

If that means a slow period for the PD, so be it.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Re: What is really going on at the PD

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post

Is that an appropriate role for the media? I'll let you decide that for yourself
    I have difficulty finding anything "appropriate" regarding the media's role these days .. What's appropriate today seems to be whatever garners attention, controversy, and sells .. Too often the issue of whether there is any truth to much of what is written seems a secondary concern, other than enough to avoid lawsuits ..

txramsfan is offline Registered User

They are damned if they do and damned if they don't. If they don't report mundane articles during the off season, fans scream they suck at covering the Rams. So, when they give the most pertinent info in this slumbering time, they get slammed for that to.

I just don't think they can win with you Av.

My order of preference is:

1. Timely, fact-based stories.

2. No stories at all.

3. Shut down the site entirely.

4. Manufactured innuedo-based stories.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Its mostly just pure media speculation. No news=created news. They speculate to the most sinister degree to get people worried and thinking. Just takes a stronger reader to know what's fact and what's media BS. If it hasn't come from the horses mouth then I hold my judgement.

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Its mostly just pure media speculation. No news=created news. They speculate to the most sinister degree to get people worried and thinking. Just takes a stronger reader to know what's fact and what's media BS. If it hasn't come from the horses mouth then I hold my judgement.
    So all that "speculation" comes out of the other end of the horse?

RebelYell is offline Registered User

There are things to report on. Do feature pieces on the new draft picks, free agents, coaches and personnel. Do some sort of actual analysis on the team. (look at the Sando piece and consider why the Rams didn't run something like that)

One of the journalists at the Post did a long article on Mizzou moving to the Big 10. It was insightful, full of facts, full of some idiotic irrelevant facts (still facts) and quotes. The way they ran with it on the radio you'd think it was a Pulitzer price winning investigative piece.

Is the obvious lack of professional journalism a result of nobody buying newspapers anymore or did it lead to nobody buying newspapers anymore? I do know for a fact, the Kansas City Star is 10x the newspaper if you want sports information. If I want info on Mizzou, I go directly to the Star.

SanDog is offline Registered User

Gotta agree with AV here.

To make me happy coverage doesn't really have to be like the Cowboys have, where you get an article when JJ spends too long in the crapper. I just think these guys just need to dig deep a little more often and come up with some material, even in the face of getting nothing from the front office or coaches.

Player specific stories are a possibility. There's 53 of them on the final roster, plenty of sources there. We've got a good handle on Bradford and Gilyard, lots left to cover.

They could do pieces on the coaching staff, who toil outside of our attention except when we're calling for their heads. Plenty of those guys to choose from.

How about "Where are they now?" type efforts? Ex-Rams are plentiful, even if you stick to the STL former players.

What I'd love to see most, though, are X and O articles, sort of like what Jaws does. Doesn't have to be video, though, just a similar approach. Break down some key parts of the game where things went right or wrong, a positive and negative thing in one article with some images or vid streams of the play being made or player being beat. Unfortunately, that would require football knowledge, though.

I think we are forgetting one thing....the people in St. Louis, the 90% of the fans that actually go to the game and the majority of these writers "customers" are actually very interested in the ownership situation. At least all my friends in the STL area are. These guys are writing to them because that's what a majority of the fans want to hear. I'm sure that some fans from the STL that are members here are going to chime in and say they aren't and that's fine. However, most are. That's who these writers are telling their story to, not those in Austin, Orlando, Boston, West Virginia, or where ever else you may be.

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I think we are forgetting one thing....the people in St. Louis, the 90% of the fans that actually go to the game and the majority of these writers "customers" are actually very interested in the ownership situation. At least all my friends in the STL area are. These guys are writing to them because that's what a majority of the fans want to hear. I'm sure that some fans from the STL that are members here are going to chime in and say they aren't and that's fine. However, most are. That's who these writers are telling their story to, not those in Austin, Orlando, Boston, West Virginia, or where ever else you may be.
    I think most non STL-based fans are interested in substantive articles about the ownership issue. Unfortunately, what they usually get from the PD writers are sensationalist OP-ED pieces that rely on reports from other outlets, rather than thorough research and balanced reporting &/or draw the most pessimistic & hostile conclusions from scraps of rumor.

Examples would include Bernie's rant about an LA-based journalist's visit to the owner's box for a game last year. It was, according to Miklasz, a slap in the face to the local press and community & clearly a bad omen for the future of the franchise in STL. A day later, he completely retracted.

Sometimes there are facts that are simply inadequately reported, eg in a recent article, Burwell hints at occasions when The NFL has bent the cross ownership rules in the past but provides no specifics.I'd be very interested to read about that.

Then there is the embarrassing tirade; Burwell practically calls for Kroenke's head a few weeks back when a financial blog floats the rumor that Kroenke is only exercising his minority owner right of first refusal option on Khan's bid as a way to greenmail Khan and/or move the team. Again, retracted. But a few weeks later , Burwell says Khan should do the same thing to Kroenke. What, are we in the 3rd grade?

In the same article,Burwell cites Jim Thomas' infamously unreliable league sources as providers of insider info that The Rams are financially hamstrung in the FA market because of the ownership transition. This info supposedly comes from agents who, for anyone who cares to think about it for a moment, may well simply be bummed that Devaney and Demoff are resisting their attempts to get inflated deals for their clients in a gutted FA market. If you are going to speculate based on such off-the-record gossip , be sure to make readers aware that it may be biased or deliberate disinformation. In an NFL-wide context, the Rams off season moves don't look nearly so suspicious; many owner-stable and deep-pocketed teams have made very few moves in FA, eg Dallas has, I believe, signed only one UFA this off season (Montrae Holland).And Chip has made a number of moves during the time that everyone has wondered if a sale was imminent that fly in the face of the penny-pinching theory-from the expensive hiring of Spags to allowing pricey FA additions last year like J. Brown to happen ,guys like Bartell kept from leaving with sizeable new contracts, not to mention not forcing Devaney to trade out of the #1 draft spot & save him tens of millions in draft dollars. That's absurdly explained away by saying that Chip HAS provided dough for the draft, but not FA. When did draft dollars become easier to come by than FA dollars? It makes no sense, pun intended.Follow the logic a little further & I wonder , along with AV & others, why Kroenke, who bears 40% of the operating cost, would allow Chip to strip & flip the team for short term gain when the facts as we know them indicate Kroenke is committed to keeping the team & keeping it in STL. Doesn't logic dictate that he'd want the product to improve ASAP if he's going to keep it?

Don't get people all lathered up on the basis of wispy rumors as if there is an obvious smoking gun when there is an equally compelling counter-argument . It's called muckraking.

So..no, Tx, I don't think there's a lack of interest in the owner issue, Ramworld-wide, but there's a real lack of credibility about those who are reporting on it locally.To fix that, I think they need to fill that void between the puff /background pieces on individual players and the opinion pieces with some balanced, well-researched and football-knowledgeable reporting.

The PD,imo, has a long history of going off half-cocked about The Rams & always looking for scandal before information, which, I suspect, is why they have so much less access to the team than in other cities.I get the impression that neither players nor officials feel inclined to speak to them because of it. Why do you think Devaney went to the unusual lengths of those J Bucks Ram town hall meetings about the draft? They ( The Rams brass) seem highly motivated to reconnect with the fans/community & regard the local press as an obstacle to that, not a conduit. And I can't blame them.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-13-2010 at 03:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I think most non STL-based fans are interested in substantive articles about the ownership issue. Unfortunately, what they usually get from the PD writers are sensationalist OP-ED pieces that rely on reports from other outlets, rather than thorough research and balanced reporting &/or draw the most pessimistic & hostile conclusions from scraps of rumor.

Examples would include Bernie's rant about an LA-based journalist's visit to the owner's box for a game last year. It was, according to miklasz, a slap in the face to the local press and community & clearly a bad omen for the future of the franchise in STL. A day later, he completely retracted.

Sometimes there are facts that are simply inadequately reported, eg in a recent article, Burwell hints at occasions when The NFL has bent the cross ownership rules in the past but provides no specifics.I'd be very interested to read about that.

Then there is the embarrassing tirade; Burwell practically calls for Kroenke's head a few weeks back when a financial blog floats the rumor that Kroenke is only exercising his minority owner right of first refusal option on Khan's bid as a way to greenmail Khan and/or move the team. Again, retracted. But a few weeks later , Burwell says Khan should do the same thing to Kroenke. What, are we in the 3rd grade?

In the same article,Burwell cites Jim Thomas' infamously unreliable league sources as providers of insider info that The Rams are financially hamstrung in the FA market because of the ownership transition. This info supposedly comes from agents who, for anyone who cares to think about it for a moment, may well simply be bummed that Devaney and Demoff are resisting their attempts to get inflated deals for their clients in a gutted FA market. If you are going to speculate based on such off-the-record gossip , be sure to make readers aware that it may be biased or deliberate disinformation. In an NFL-wide context, the Rams off season moves don't look nearly so suspicious; many owner-stable and deep-pocketed teams have made very few moves in FA, eg Dallas has, i believe, signed only one UFA this off season (Montrae Holland).And Chip has made a number of moves-from the expensive hiring of Spags to allowing pricey FA additions last year like J. Brown to happen,guys like bartell kept from leaving with sizeable new contracts, not to mention not forcing Devaney to trade out of the #1 draft spot & save him tens of millions in draft dollars. That's absurdly explained away by saying that Chip HAS provided dough for the draft, but not FA. When did draft dollars become easier to come by than FA dollars. It makes no sense, pun intended.Follow the logic a little further & I wonder , along with AV & others, why Kroenke, who bears 40% of the operating cost, would allow Chip to strip & flip the team for short term gain when the facts as we know them indicate he is committed to keeping the team. Doesn't logic dictate that he'd want the product to improve ASAP if he's going to keep it?

Don't get people all lathered up on the basis of wispy rumors as if there is an obvious smoking gun when there is an equally compelling counter-argument . It's called muckraking.

So..no, Tx, I don't think there's a lack of interest in the owner issue, Ramworld-wide, but there's a real lack of credibility about those who are reporting on it locally.To fix that, I think they need to fill that void between the puff /background pieces on individual players and the opinion pieces with some well-researched and football-knowledgeable reporting.

The PD,imo, has a long history of going off half-cocked about The Rams & always looking for scandal before information, which, I suspect, is why they have so much less access to the team than in other cities.I get the impression that neither players nor officials feel inclined to speak to them because of it. Why do you think Devaney went to the unusual lengths of those J Bucks Ram town hall meetings about the draft? They ( The Rams brass) seem highly motivated to reconnect with the fans/community & regard the local press as an obstacle to that, not a conduit. And I can't blame them.
    A&O, that has to be one of the finest posts I've read in a long time. Consider this my I.O.U. for some additional rep after I spread some around.

helorm341 is offline Registered User

The PD really has no idea what is going on with him. At first over a year ago they said he could be a viable option. Then they changed their tune that he couldn't purchase them at all. When he announced his intentions they were all surprised and assumed that he would be circumventing the cross-ownership rule somehow. Then when it was revealed that he was going to comply with it, they've just been speculating how that would work. Finally there is this story out about his buying the Rams and then selling him to his wife so they have stories on that.

The moral of that story is that they don't really know what is going on at all

Journalists in order of the amount of fabrication they do:

1. Brian Burwell
    2. Bernie Mikalasz
    3. Jeff Gordon
    4. Jim Thomas
    5. Bill Coats

Then quit posting anything from them on here. All i hear is you people whine about it. Do you enjoy misery or something? It gets equally tiring that most of the posters here just slam EVERYTHING coming out of the PD like it's the National Enquirer. What, did you all go to Syracuse J School or something?
    Last edited by txramsfan; -05-13-2010 at 04:05 PM.

TheRammer Guest

Um fill me in on one fact? The PD is the Post Dispatch correct? Is that the main or local newspaper in STL?

I can answer that, Tx.

You see, there are only a handful of sites on the Web that focus on the Rams. The PD, as the largest newspaper in St. Louis, is one of the most prominent.

If we allow the PD to be the only voice speaking about the state of the team, their viewpoint and presentation might be accepted as gospel.

Instead, I, and many others, choose to use our limited "voices" here to present a different viewpoint and to call out the PD when it fails to back up its stories with facts. In doing so, we give those who search the Web for Rams news another point of view, thereby balancing out the PD's voice somewhat.

If Bernie, Burwell, and the other PD hacks wrote for some random blog, I wouldn't bother commenting on their articles here. However, as long as they dominate the most prominent Rams news source, I will use my little platform here to address their journalistic failings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast