Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow What Redskins fans are saying about Caldwell

I was browsing the Skins forum for some insight on the Reche Caldwell signing. Wasn't expecting much, as he seems like nothing to write home about, but surprisingly enough I found a five-page thread on him. Most of the comments were positive. Here's what I found:

Quote Originally Posted by jthor99
    I personally liked Caldwell I thought at times be brought some decent things to the offense. That being said its out with the old and in with the new..
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM311
    Personally, I wanted him back.
    Quote Originally Posted by TGI Jef
    He had a minimum salary offer to stay with the Redskins and he also had an offer from Carolina.
    he made some big catches for us last year, but the bolded sentence is the one that really struck me in this article - it is proof that we are setting limits on how much we will pay for players and walking away if the offer is rejected.
    i know that caldwell is not a huge name, but still - this phenomenon has been a rarity lately. would have been a nice player to keep, but if he wants more im glad we arent giving it to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by ktball74
    Our loss. I think he was a very solid receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinC
    Sorry to see him go - I thought he was a very solid 4th receiver for us last year down the stretch.
    Interesting that he seems to have taken a vet minimum deal with St Louis over the same money with us - they must have given him hope of more playing time than he would ikely have had with us to pad his stats and get a better deal somewhere in 2009.
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyConway
    For some reason I don't think it came down to playing time because he could've won the #3 spot from Thrash. I think it has more to do with Saunders. Perhaps they spoke about how he would utilized there and here.
    I really wanted Caldwell back. Oh well.
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinsGuy
    I wanted Caldwell to stay, but I am not going to cry over his signing somewhere else.
    His presence here wasn't going to make or break the Redskins this coming season.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. S
    I would have kept him for $655k. That doesn't seem like much, and probalby not much more than the vet minimum for his experience. He became a crucial guy for us on third downs, and his size probably could have been useful as a 4th WR in the WCO.
    Quote Originally Posted by the burgundy and gold
    damn wish we could have kept him, he's a solid receiver. He will probably do well in St Louis, they always have a very good offense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom10Y
    I liked Caldwell too. Didn't complain, caught whatever was thrown to him, specially a bunch of 3rd downs. I was hoping he'd be our #3 this year.
    But oh well...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebowski
    I'm glad he didn't re-sign with us. I've never liked the guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLongshot
    Personally, I didn't think Caldwell was all that. He came in and made some decent catches, but there are a few guys out there who can do that much. To be honest, Caldwell wasn't going to see the field all that often here, and he knew it, particularly if we do bring in some young guys at receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilbone13
    We couldn't do better than the minimum?!!! What a bargain for St. Louis!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truant
    Good for him.
    Saunders is there and he has experience with the playbook. At this juncture Bulger is a more solid QB than Jason, so it makes sense for him to jump ship and try to cash in next year.
    He was solid for us, I'll wish him well.
    Quote Originally Posted by theivorhick
    I was hoping we'd keep Caldwell. He seemed to come in big on clutch throws that went his way. Regardless, I wish him luck in St. Louis. He's a good receiver who just never got his due here.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog
    Caldwell had suspect knees and I think that was one of the reasons the Patriots gave him the boot in 2007 and kept Jabar Gaffney who had not been as productive in 2006 in the NFL.
    Caldwell's deal with the Rams is hardly one that is going to fill his pockets vis a vis the offer he had from the Redskins
    $600K for one year?
    one could make the argument he was losing money by merely having to move to St. Louis as part of the deal
    but to his credit I think he read the handwriting on the wall - the Redskins were looking to get younger and more athletic at the receiver position and Caldwell at 28 is more of a possession receiver.
    Quote Originally Posted by carter23
    tough loss... I thought he played pretty well for us
    Quote Originally Posted by SkinsMaster88
    Caldwell might only be 28, but there are rumors of knee problems that will hinder him.
    Feb. 12, 2008 - 12:00 a.m. ET
    Free agent Reche Caldwell has reportedly been dealing with chronic knee problems.
    Caldwell was never on the injury report last year, so this is news to us. The emerging journeyman could fall out of the league if the issues are serious.
    Source: Washington Post
    Plus, Caldwell's only had one season with more than 28 catches (or 352 yds) in his 6-year career. And that one season was with Tom Brady.
    Quote Originally Posted by REEGSKINS
    i wish he would have replaced el as the #2 receiver this upcoming year. i think he was very reliable this year and i think the skins were too cheap with the offer they gave him. he is a better #2 than El and a #2 deserves more than the minimum. this is only my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hero21
    Keep in mind that they only have one established starter on that team, Torry Holt. They signed Drew Bennett last year, but he really showed nothing last year to warrant being handed the #2 spot. Caldwell could compete with him for the #2 job, versus here he really can't.
    Quote Originally Posted by chaught76
    This is disappointing. I was hoping we would resign Caldwell because he played good football last year for us.
    If Bulger stays healthy, Caldwell will have a very good season if he earns the 2nd WR position in St. Louis.
    :l

-jake-

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Re: What Redskins fans are saying about Caldwell

There are alot of positives in there, nice work on the compilation. Caldwell has the potential to out-perform his contract and still not cost a ton if he is a bust. I look forward to seeing him on the field in some capacity next year, and as of right now we need another set of hands. gorams!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

mostly positive, that's better than mostly negative.

Wow, I'm just full of wiseisms today huh?

lol

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    mostly positive, that's better than mostly negative.

Wow, I'm just full of wiseisms today huh?

lol
    Cheers...Down the hatch!!!

Really who did the Redskins have a WR other than Santana Moss? So sure Caldwell was wanted back. Don't get me wrong I hope he has a career year for us, I wouldn't bet on it though.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

one could make the argument he was losing money by merely having to move to St. Louis
    I have to disagree. The cost of living decrease will more than pay for itself. To make money comparable to the Rams contract (living in St.Louis) would be slightly over a million dollars in the D.C. area.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Who cares about the opinions of Redskin fans??? The only thing I want to know is what does Abe Vigoda think?

Ramer is offline Registered User

Great job Evil Disco Man. Hopefully he will live up to what the Skins fans thought of him.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Who cares about the opinions of Redskin fans??? The only thing I want to know is what does Abe Vigoda think?
    I dunno, maybe because that was the team he was on, and so they were actually paying attention to him last year? Did you watch every play of the Redskins' season? Because some of those guys who had good things to say about him surely did.

The contract was rather small, and the risk is the same. Small. If he works, he has a good chance at outperforming his contract, something Bruce really had no chance to at $5M. And, if he doesn't work, the hit to the cap could be as low as zero.

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    I dunno, maybe because that was the team he was on, and so they were actually paying attention to him last year? Did you watch every play of the Redskins' season? Because some of those guys who had good things to say about him surely did.

The contract was rather small, and the risk is the same. Small. If he works, he has a good chance at outperforming his contract, something Bruce really had no chance to at $5M. And, if he doesn't work, the hit to the cap could be as low as zero.
    Big deal- were any of those fans Det. Phil Fish or Sal Tessio? I think not...

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    By the way, these are his numbers with the Redskins last year- I would have wanted him back too

8 Games, 15 rec, 141 yds, and 0TDs

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    By the way, these are his numbers with the Redskins last year- I would have wanted him back too

8 Games, 15 rec, 141 yds, and 0TDs
    are you even a rams fan bro???? how pessimistic can you get? its the offseason right now bro its not like were already 0-5 or something!!! every teams has a 0-0 record man.

The rams are simply filling holes with veterans which is a strong way to build a solid team... thats what the pats did when they beat us in 2002... they picked up otis smith, mike vrabel, brian cox, david patten, jermaine wiggins, antoin smith..... WERE THOSE SOLID PICKUPS MAN???? SURE WORKED OUT FOR THEM

RealRam is offline Registered User

Interesting comments from Redskins fans. Seems we got an "average good" receiver in RC. We'll soon find out if he ends up being more average than good or vice versa.

Thanks for your research and posting, EDM.

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    are you even a rams fan bro???? how pessimistic can you get? its the offseason right now bro its not like were already 0-5 or something!!! every teams has a 0-0 record man.

The rams are simply filling holes with veterans which is a strong way to build a solid team... thats what the pats did when they beat us in 2002... they picked up otis smith, mike vrabel, brian cox, david patten, jermaine wiggins, antoin smith..... WERE THOSE SOLID PICKUPS MAN???? SURE WORKED OUT FOR THEM

I am, in fact, a Rams fan- and please don't call me Bro.

Rambi is offline Registered User

Evil Disco Man is a spy

mpire is offline Registered User

I'd liken this to Martz taking Furrey to Thetroit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-26-2008, 04:08 PM