View Poll Results: What should be the Rams' top personnel priority?

Voters
86. You may not vote on this poll
  • QB: Bulger's contract means he'll be back, but we need someone for the future.

9 10.47%
  • RB: Even though we just resigned him, Jackson can't stay healthy.

0 0%
  • WR: Holt's time is nearing an end, so we need to find a starter to play opposite of Avery.

1 1.16%
  • TE: McMichael is solid but in a contract year, not much behind him.

0 0%
  • OL: Whether it's at tackle, guard, or center, this unit needs an upgrade.

62 72.09%
  • DL: Long shows fire but we need help inside and to eventually replace Little.

3 3.49%
  • LB: Our poor run defense is in part because of poor LB play, we need help here.

5 5.81%
  • DB: Our corners are average, Atogwe is a free agent, and Chavous is a dead man walking.

5 5.81%
  • K/P: ...I'm at a loss for explaining this one, but I thought I'd put it anyways.

1 1.16%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: What should be this team's biggest personnel priority?

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Exactly. I have always liked Maualauga, and would have love to see him in a Ram's jersey, but unless we get another 1st round pick in the top 10, we are probably going to get Oher or Smith, or even Monroe.

If by some chance,we boost our o-line with free agency, and trades, then we should pick Maualauga. He would improve our run defense by lots, and then we would need to get a big DT.
    Exactly RockinRam. I would love to have Maualuga in a Rams uniform. But we need OL help bad. If we can draft one in round two and fill the rest from the Free Agency, then I'm all for Rey.

However, the OL needs to be fixed.

We can always get a MLB in the FA too...

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    Exactly RockinRam. I would love to have Maualuga in a Rams uniform. But we need OL help bad. If we can draft one in round two and fill the rest from the Free Agency, then I'm all for Rey.

However, the OL needs to be fixed.

We can always get a MLB in the FA too...
    It won't be the same. I WANT MAUALAUGA!!!!!!

btimsah Guest

We've got so many holes we could go anywhere.. I just like the idea of this team drafting a play maker WR to team with Avery and the future QB at the same time. But we certainly could get that big MLB and move Witherspoon over to OLB. I'd like that too.. We've got so many holes it's hard to knock anyone's suggestions. I mean, apperently were still UNDERSIZED up front. Well then WHY DID WE GET CHRIS LONG? Why is Leroy Glover still starting?

The main thing we need is a true head coach and front office. Then we can discard the trash and bring in the type of players needed. What can be said is;

• We need size and strength on defense.
    • We need speed and atheletism on offense.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Oh, Nick ... too difficult a poll for me to pick a reasonable answer, one!
    Sorry, but I had to make it tough on you all!!

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    Nick good poll but I think this is a no-brainer we must go offensive tackle with the first pick,Pace needs to retire and we will have top replace him.
    I agree with you, jk. It sounds cliche, but football games are won and lost in the trenches. I could probably count on one hand the number of games we've clearly won in the trenches over the last few seasons. Pace is playing on borrowed time; we need to be prepared for his departure.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    If in free agency we can get some solid o-lineman then Iwouldnt mind going qb first.
    Matt Ryan was the third overall pick and signed a $72 million deal with nearly $35 million guaranteed. How can we justify that kind of contract by picking a QB first when we have Bulger signed to a $65 million deal? That's a boatload of money tied up in a position where only one guy is going to be on the field at a time. Like it or not, I think Bulger's recent contract restricts us from selecting a QB in round one this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    You know maybe we should just pick the best players available at a need position which is nearly every position on the field so we should get the best guy out there when we pick.
    It'll probably work out that way, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I would not pick Crabtree with our first pick. Heck no. There are so many other players that could be of more use than Crabtree. Don't get me wrong, Crabtree is a good WR, but I would rather get Lauranaitis, Maualauga,Oher, Smith or even Stafford.
    Crabtree is an interesting thought. If Oher and Smith are gone when we choose, there may (depending on offseason workouts and stock changes) be a good case to make for Crabtree as the best player available.

Can you imagine our future offense with Avery speeding around on one side of the field and Crabtree muscling around on the other side? It'd be a nice pairing.

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    No, we can't wait anymore for players to pan out. We need to just move on with a good coaching staff and GET PLAYERS who can PLAY. To be honest if I'm the Rams I just build the team over around Jackson, Avery, Atogwae, Long and Witherspoon.

1st pick - Michael Crabtree WR

2nd round - Sam Bradford QB
    (he still could be available, but I don't think he'd come out if he thought he'd be this low)

3rd round - big, physical corner.

Use free agency to fill other holes.
    Two things.

One, Bradford in the second round? Let me have a sip of what you've been drinking. He's the first overall pick in GBN's latest projection, second overall on Scouts Inc's Top 32 big board, and third overall pick on NFLDC. Even if you think Stafford is better, Bradford is the next best QB by a long shot barring some kind of huge event to drop his stock... like him murdering someone, I dunno.

Two, you said our biggest personnel need was OL in your previous post, yet you don't think we select one with any of our top three picks? Do you think we can adequately address this OL through free agency alone? Did you have anyone specific in mind as to who the Rams should look at?

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This argument about getting a new QB is a pretty good one. I wouldn't take one before the third round.
    Agreed, I just don't think we can justify the cost of a first round QB right now.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Crabtree is an interesting thought. If Oher and Smith are gone when we choose, there may (depending on offseason workouts and stock changes) be a good case to make for Crabtree as the best player available.

Can you imagine our future offense with Avery speeding around on one side of the field and Crabtree muscling around on the other side? It'd be a nice pairing.
    Yep, I can't argue with that thought. It would be very good to have Crabtree opposite of Avery, but if our QB can't get enough time to throw, (O-Line's fault) then Crabtree wouldn't be much of a help. It would be very interesting to watch Crabtree and Avery play together though. Lightning speed on one side, great ball skills and hands on the other.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

One, Bradford in the second round? Let me have a sip of what you've been drinking. He's the first overall pick in GBN's latest projection, second overall on Scouts Inc's Top 32 big board, and third overall pick on NFLDC. Even if you think Stafford is better, Bradford is the next best QB by a long shot barring some kind of huge event to drop his stock... like him murdering someone, I dunno.

Ray Lewis is not laughing at this.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I did not not vote all the above. So many holes I think change the front office and get some great talent evaluators in there.
    :ramlogo:

DistantRam is offline Registered User

If we could have squeezed another year out of Orlando Pace, I'd have voted for MLB. However, Pace's injury yesterday makes a franchise left tackle a must in the 2009 draft. Good job that there are potentially three such players available...

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Dang it, no one really wants to pick a left tackle, I don't want to pick a left tackle, but we HAVE to pick a left tackle. I would absolutly love Crabtree or Malauga, love it. But alas, we desperately need a left tackle.

Bar-bq is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Offensive Line, first and foremost.

If we can't find the one we want with our pick in the first, it's got to be Rey Maleleuga.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Tough call for me. I went with DL over OL only because I see marginally better potential from Bell, Incognito, and Barron. No one on the DL is a longterm starter except Long and possibly Carriker.

Exactly who and what type of DL players we need depends on what scheme we run. If we stick with Haz/Venturi, a beastly MLB makes sense. If we switch to 3 man DL, a massive DT would compliment Carriker & Long.I prefer the latter plan.

People, including our HC, keep talking about our LBs failing to fill gaps. What f34king gaps? The DL gets blown all over the field in every direction except towards the QB.No one even holds their ground most of the time.They either get clumped into a scrum or spinning off like they are being pulled in a centrifuge.

Whatever positions we go after-and the argument could be made for any except the kickers- I say we need to draft by the pound.

We can't replace all the duds at once but I'd like to see one unit given the full overhaul needed to be dominant & I think we have the best chance of doing that to our DL with one or two more players.

And I think it gives us the best chance to be successful against our division rivals. Stuffing the run & battering QBs into making mistakes while milking the clock with a ball control offense & shorter rhythmic passing game is a personality I think we can develop more easily than any other with the talent on hand.

We sucked from QB to HC at times through the game today but the biggest difference was we couldn't get to their QB or stop them from running in the redzone.

chiguy is offline Registered User

I chose OL but in all honesty, how do the Rams not just choose the best player available at every line in the draft? We are so talent poor I'm not sure that we should consider any pick a luxury because its going to take three years to turn the roster over enough to be competitive anyway.

Also, I think we *really* missed the boat in the last few years bringing in Trent Green and Brock Berlin as backups rather than a guy who might eventually replace Bulger. I think David Carr would've been an interesting choice as a second chance guy, though our line may be worse than the one he played behind in Texas. I wonder if we could pry Derrick Anderson away from the Browns? Yeah, Bulger looks completely cooked but I wouldn't waste time developing a QB until we have more stability on the lines. I'd prefer to see a solid veteran who can run the offense, ala a guy like Brad Johnson used to be, for the next few years.

I think I can count on one hand the number of starters I'd even consider keeping at this point. *sigh*

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Priorities:

1) O line
    2) O line
    3) O line

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Priorities:

1) O line
    2) O line
    3) O line
    Pretty hard to argue with this. As others have mentioned, it won't matter who we have at the skilled positions if the OL gets manhandled every game. No offense is going to work without the guys up front protecting the passer, any passer or opening up holes for the back, any back. If the last two years haven't made the case for manditory drastic changes on the OL, nothing will.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Dang it, no one really wants to pick a left tackle, I don't want to pick a left tackle, but we HAVE to pick a left tackle. I would absolutly love Crabtree or Malauga, love it. But alas, we desperately need a left tackle.
    Maybe I will get killed for this, but are will absolutely 100% sure that Barron could not anchor the left side of the line? If he could, we could use those early picks on a MLB or other game breaker, and find a new RT a little bit later in the draft.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast