throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

What is the single most important factor to the Rams' success this season?

I believe it's the running game. The Rams had one of the worst running offenses in the league last year, and I think it hindered what this offense was able to do. I believe that if the Rams reestablish themselves as a team that can not only dominate through the air but also run the ball effectively with both Marshall Faulk and Steven Jackson, then this team will go deep into the playoffs.

What are your thoughts?

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamTime Guest

Re: What is the single most important factor to the Rams' success this season?

Winning is the single most important factor without a doubt.

To achieve this, I think you are 100% correct when you say running and here is why. It seems some people believe that Bruce is not much of a factor any more and Holt is a good receiver but not in the top 5 or so in the league. (Hello McFly look at his production since 1999) So let them think that then we make them bring their safeties up to stop the run. Get 8 of 11 defensive players in the box and we should see some long scoring plays out of our receivers. Plus they are going to start calling holding on defensive backs.

I have a feeling though that we are going to find out just how much we miss our two starting tackles in Pace and Turley. I think they are both premmadonna’s who have been gifted with talent while most other linemen on the roster have to work their asses off just to secure a roster spot and a minimal payday.

I have no proof other then my gut feeling that Turley's back problem is mostly in his skull. As far as Pace goes, everything has worked out for him to get a bigger payday then the Rams can afford what with Galley for the raiders signing a multi billion dollar deal and Turley talking about not playing it kind of leaves Pace and Poston in a win win situation.

On the other hand we have not been able to run the ball behind Pace anyway so maybe it is a blessing in disguise if he does hold out. I like this kid Jackson and I have a feeling that Faulk is going to have a huge year. Winning is simple. Run when they think you’re going to pass and Pass when they think your going to run but you have to be able to do both. A balanced attack if you will.

As far as the QB situation, had Bulger came in and replaced Tony Banks he would have looked like a profit or a God send so I think with Warner safely in New York now, we need to get behind Bulger just as much or even more then we did behind Warner. Bulger has shown some over the top potential along with some pretty ugly stuff as well. Nevertheless we have to hope for good play out of Bulger and once again a running game would provide Bulger the edge I think he needs.

Of course our defense is going to have to play better then they did last year against what was really a cream puff schedule. Their over pursuing on cutback runs killed them many times last year and never was it more apparent then in the divisional playoff game Vs the Panthers.

I think the Rams need to go into Oakland and prove they can run the ball and get pressure on the QB. Oakland has good and great players on both sides of the line and should be a good test of our abilities.

Now stating the obvious I will add, we sure as hell can not afford an onslaught of injuries either.

Could 2004 be the year? If it is then we will have done it with one whole hell of a lot less talent then we had over the past few years when we fell short.

maineram Guest

Offensive line !!!! How they go is how the run & pass offense goes, plain and simple.

Maineram

general counsel Guest

1) Avoiding injuries. We are not off to a great start in this regarding losing turley (probably), kennedy and wohalabaugh for the season. If we are unlucky injury wise and lose more than our share, or too many key guys, we wont win it all. This is the same of every team in the nfl, injuries comes first. The cap prevents anyone from stockpiling too much depth.

2) Stop the running game.
    3) play of the offensive line (a subset of which is The Big Man getting into camp,. long term or otherwise)
    4) Bulgers improvement
    5) better play in the red zone.

Sorry, thats five, but if i had to narrow it down to one, i would say staying healthy, but i agree with nick, stopping the running game is critical.

general counsel

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

In order:

1. Run offense
    2. Run defense
    3. Turnovers
    4. Pass protection
    5. Pass rush
    6. Special teams

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram
    Offensive line !!!! How they go is how the run & pass offense goes, plain and simple.
    Both lines. Success rides with how both lines perform.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    In order:

1. Run offense
    2. Run defense
    3. Turnovers
    4. Pass protection
    5. Pass rush
    6. Special teams
    I would change this around slightly.

The one big thing that stood out last year was the lack of a run defence. That to me is our biggest weakness at the moment

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Run defense. They have to stop the run. If they don't, it won't matter a thing about any other aspect of the team.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Run D. Run D. Run D.
    The only team that scored more than us last year was Vermeil's Chiefs. We're going to put points on the board if we can get the ball into the O's hands. How do we do that? By slowing their ground game. Only the Vikings and Chiefs gave up more yards per carry than us. We can not allow that kind of ground game.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamTime Guest

1. Winning
    2. Beating the opponent
    3. Having more points then the other team when the game is over
    4. Winning the division
    5. Winning home field advantage
    6. Winning the divisional playoff game
    7. Winning the NFC Championship Game
    8. Winning the Superbowl

OK thats 8 but they are the most important factors. LOL

coy bacon Guest

Gentlemen,
    Nick asked for one thing, not the litany of what ya need to win. Since football is a multi-dimensional team sport, many factors are required. But only one was asked for.

What is the single most important thing in this writer's opinion? The play of the QB. If Bulger can throw accurately it will help the run game. If he can't deliver, you know the rest of the story. Plus, the Ram's are a passing team. They have lived and died by it for the last few years. With the stable of WRs we have, we should play to our strength.

sbramfan Guest

I agree that the question is not "what are important factors to be successful in the NFL".

Taking the Rams play from last year, and the fact that we kept 90% of the same players, I will make a few assumptions:

A: our defense will be similar to last year, with a little more uncertainty about our ability, or lack thereof, to stop the run.

B: our offense should be similar to last year with the hope of a better TD to INT ratio, and some promise at 3rd WR, if a healthy OL.

So barring injuries, I think the biggest thing stopping them last year was the inability to get 7 points. Wilkens was money, but it's too much effort to go all the way down the field and leave with less than half a touchdown.

And it's not just in the red zone because Bulger had the shortest "longest TD pass" in the NFL, at about 45 yards.

Fargo Ram Fan is offline Registered User

Absolutely the RUN DEFENSE. They were GASHED last year and they were GASHED vs the BEARS in the pre opener. Tonight should be interesting vs Holmes and company.

Ted Washington was signed by the Raiders for a song. I realize the Rams had major depth at DT going into this year but Big Ted is perhaps the single biggest difference maker in terms of run defense in the game today. The ONLY way anyone will run on the Raiders this year is on the outside. He woulda looked great in a RAM uniform and immediately made this unit one of leagues elite. I see NO improvement over last years run D and now not even the HOPE of impact from Kennedy. This may be a brutal season.
    "You people point your 'f'in' finger and say theres the bad guy....what that make you....good?" Tony Montana

AugustaRamFan Guest

Nick - my ONE area of play would be the play of the o-line.

ARF

jjsram Guest

RUN DEFENSE — If the D can't stop the run, it will be a looooooonnnnnnnggggg season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast