Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What are some option for Spags OC?

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    He's very pass-happy. I work with a Cowboys fan and it used to drive him nuts. It seemed like 95% of their plays were just having everyone go deep and I think that contributed to the amount of turnovers they had. When you have 3rd and short, which a monster line like they had and a big back like Barber and you're throwing deep down the field, it just didn't make a lot of sense. He's been criticized widely for it and I would have to agree.
    Your initial comment sounded strange to me as well. I'm thinking, they've got Marion Barber and usually also rely on a second RB as well, how could they be one-dimensional? But the numbers seem to support it. In 2006, prior to Garrett, the Cowboys finished 12th in the league in rushing attempts with 472 attempts. When Garrett came in in 2007, the Cowboys dropped to 21st with 419 attempts. This year they were even worse, 25th in the league with 401 attempts.

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Your initial comment sounded strange to me as well. I'm thinking, they've got Marion Barber and usually also rely on a second RB as well, how could they be one-dimensional? But the numbers seem to support it. In 2006, prior to Garrett, the Cowboys finished 12th in the league in rushing attempts with 472 attempts. When Garrett came in in 2007, the Cowboys dropped to 21st with 419 attempts. This year they were even worse, 25th in the league with 401 attempts.
    They've thrown it more than run it under Garrett, no question.

But one dimensional? That's an exaggeration IMO. Their pass vs. run ratio is not that extreme.

When he's had a healthy Barber and Jones (Julius or Felix), he's used them quite appropriately I think. He favors the passing game but does not ignore the runnning game.

The Cowboys have run the ball 43-44% of the time over the past two years. The combined percentage for the entire NFL has been to run it 45-46% of the time. That not too far out of whack. By contrast, the 07' Lions ran the ball 35% of the time. That's what I'd call one dimensional.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HornIt View Post
    They've thrown it more than run it under Garrett, no question.

But one dimensional? That's an exaggeration IMO. Their pass vs. run ratio is not that extreme.

When he's had a healthy Barber and Jones (Julius or Felix), he's used them quite appropriately I think. He favors the passing game but does not ignore the runnning game.

The Cowboys have run the ball 43-44% of the time over the past two years. The combined percentage for the entire NFL has been to run it 45-46% of the time. That not too far out of whack. By contrast, the 07' Lions ran the ball 35% of the time. That's what I'd call one dimensional.
    Yeah, but you see from year one to year two, he's throwing the ball with more frequency. I think those numbers will continue to climb. And just from being in NFC East territory and seeing a lot of their games, it's not only the times that he chooses to pass, but also the plays which he calls. When you only need 2 or 3 yds, why are you calling 25-30 yd patterns? Yeah, Barber and the other guy were hurt, but when they actually started giving the ball to Choice, he produced. I really don't think the criticism leveled against him has been unfair.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Honestly, I have no earthly idea who his staff will be. don't really care. What I have seen from Deveaney so far is that I trust him. He could put Barney Fife as OC and I'd drink the kool aid.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliGirlRamsFan View Post
    Marshall Fault for OC.
    I thought him and jackson didn't get along that we'll
    Last edited by bigtiger737; -01-18-2009 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12