View Poll Results: What is stopping us?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Inadequate physical conditioning-fatigue causes errors

3 12.50%
  • Inadequate mental conditioning-motivation, heart, etc.

5 20.83%
  • Inadequate leadership-On field and behind the scenes

7 29.17%
  • Other-Poor officiating, bad luck, weird curse etc.

9 37.50%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BM_Face is offline Registered User

What stops the Rams from finishing these games?

I am talking about the games in which we have a chance to win. These losses tear me up. I know my expectations are warped, but it feels as if this team is sooooo close to greatness.

A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Re: What stops the Rams from finishing these games?

No doubt it is frustrating. Good teams drive the final nail into the coffin when they have a team on the ropes. We're simply not there yet. Improvement has been made, but we simply lack the talent to close out games and don't have the big time game breaker for Bradford to throw to in crunch time.

UserName is offline Registered User

The other teams.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

None of the above.

If anything, its the lack of enough offensive firepower to get BIG leads.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    None of the above.

If anything, its the lack of enough offensive firepower to get BIG leads.
    I agree not a very accurate poll question with no real answers. Come on man our wr's are Robinson,Gibson and Amendola its amazing Bradford is playing as good as he is with them. Not to mention our running game or lack there of isnt exactly taking the pressure off him either. I hated the shovel pass call and I think coaches sometimes try to get too cute even though convention offensive plays got us where we were. Bradford has been so good dropping back and finding the open guy and i think that shovel play absolutely stunk.
    Just Fix It

macrammer is offline Registered User

We are a mediocre team at best RIGHT NOW. We are trending up from past season debacles. IMO, We are simply way too shallow in depth to put teams away. Coupled with some questionable coaching tactics *(shovel pass, pooch punt v. FG attempt last week, seemingly conservative pay calling in second halves) tactics that have caused us to not get over in close games this year.

Our defensive is edging down after quite a start. We allowed Grabowski and Troy smith to pass all over the place (not exactly household names) against us and then the Bucs come in and shut Troy Smith down and deliver first home shutout for whiners in 33 years! Grabowski is off the bench now. We have arguably one player on offensive that is a game changer (SJ39) but we do have a QB that is close. Defense cannot make play when needed (3rd-38 anybody??), including take aways to put game away.

Just not good enough yet to be a true contender but certanily a HUGE step up from previous year's.

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i don't really like any of the choices, the o needs to be more productive to keep the d off the field. the d has definitely gotten tired. seems like our o just has trouble finding rhythm after the half, but i think if we continue to improve the o-line, bring in a solid backup rb and add a vertical/deep threat at wide receiver we'll be much better.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Inexperience, plain and simple. From the top to the bottom, coaches and players included ...

Tired of hearing about the lack of "talent". We could very easily have 7 wins right now. Not every roster across the league is filled with pro bowlers. The great teams find ways to win ....

Tired of hearing complaints about the shovel pass. It's a goalline WCO staple. Philadelphia uses it frequently. It's not Shurmur's fault that Goldberg got blown up and Bradford threw the pass blindly ....

As for mentioning Gibson, Robinson, and Amendola, this trio had 18 catches for 160 yards and a TD. I wonder what we'd look like with Clayton and Avery?

White, Jenkins, and Finneran for the Falcons had 15 catches for 153 yards ...

The Falcons have the exact offensive strategy we do. The difference? A very cohesive offensive line, and three years of experience in the system with Matt Ryan ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -11-22-2010 at 02:12 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Heart! Yeah, the Rams need more of it. Check out the body language between the Rams and Falcons, the ATL are a more disciplend team, deserving of a 8-2 record. Rams need to pick up the Pace a bit, but being lead by a Rook QB you can't knock 'em, but its something that needs developing. OJ walking to the Locker room in the heat of the battle yesterday, JAX taking plays off on crucial downs, injuries in general may be examples of inadequate conditioning.
    Bradford, even though he's a rookie, can brush up a bit on his leadership skills!
    The officials cost us the Frisco game.
    You could make a case for all the answers from the Poll Question!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

the game plan was executed perfectly by Atlanta. it is about time of possession. you keep the Rams defense on the field they tire out. this isn't just this defense, it's any defense.

The offense needs to put together long sustained drives and avoid all these three and outs. Lets face it without any threat at WR the game plan is easy STOP SJAX.

This isn't rocket science plain and simple we don't have the weapons to get over the hump. We need a game changer at WR, Avery and Clayton are not the answer. With these guys healthy we take the division, but that doesn't say much. Once we get that one threat everything else will open up. Another question not to detract from offensive woes, but how do WR get so open? Our secondary plays soft.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    This isn't rocket science plain and simple we don't have the weapons to get over the hump. We need a game changer at WR, Avery and Clayton are not the answer. With these guys healthy we take the division, but that doesn't say much. Once we get that one threat everything else will open up.
    I respectfully disagree. Bradford has proven he can get us to the hump with the less than stellar receivers we have right now. Give Bradford Avery and Clayton as his 2 starting receivers and it's a whole new look. Bradford has shown that he can work well with whatever is thrown on the field with him. He has shown the ability to make his receivers better. So give him 2 decent receivers with Amendola in the slot and now the opposing defense will have their hands full. This will also open up better running lanes for Jackson.

GO RAMS!

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I Bradford has proven he can get us to the hump with the less than stellar receivers we have right now. Give Bradford Avery and Clayton as his 2 starting receivers and it's a whole new look. Bradford has shown that he can work well with whatever is thrown on the field with him. He has shown the ability to make his receivers better. So give him 2 decent receivers with Amendola in the slot and now the opposing defense will have their hands full. This will also open up better running lanes for Jackson.

GO RAMS!
    Good points just Avery's continued injuries make this seem like some good dream come true reasoning your way. Clayton showed us some too, but can these guys get it done consistently throughout the course of time? Bradford I agree has shown he can work with what he has but as far as over the hump against who? Panthers, Redskins, Seahawks, Chargers (all teams .500 or below) Don't get me wrong I would never pass up on Bradford on what he has shown us, I'm just saying right now all we have is Bradford and SJAX, maybe Amendola. (on the offensive side)
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

What stops the Rams from finishing the games?

On the micro level, I'd have to say too few pages in Shurmur's play book.

On the macro level, I'm surprised the Rams have been in as many games as they have. This roster is lacking compared to most teams, and the fact that (as RI has said) this team could have 7 wins by now is amazing.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

None of the poll options.

The team is competing well every week, Detroit apart but I'd point to struggles in the running game in terms of strategy and delivery.

The fact that the team is competing well isn't down to the fact its 'close to greatness', it isn't, its down to the mix of a good head coach, good character on the team, a superlative first-year QB and an improving defense.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

We didn't really get a chance to "drive the nail in the coffin" so to speak against a team that was already leading. So not sure you can count that as inability to finish an opponent so much as inability to come back against one of the best teams in the league, and that isn't anything to hang your head about. If it was, they wouldn't be one of the best teams in the league.

Overall I think it is lack of talent and depth. Not a fan of the options you gave, which imply a lack of everything involving mental and physical training, but strangely leave out "well, maybe we just aren't that good"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast