Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

What is the story with Marshall Faulk?

Do the Rams want him back?

Is he going to be healthy enough to play?

Does he want to stay with the Rams?

I haven't heard any facts or rumors lately but this is an issue that needs to be addressed, the sooner the better IMO.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: What is the story with Marshall Faulk?

with Jackson there and hopefully Davis back i think Faulk would be down the depth chart quite a bit, so i dont think the Rams would need him tbh

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Me personally, with Jackson learning from Davis (well at least I hope that continues, because it worked...), I don't want Faulk now because it might screw up Jackson. Who knows, but whatever, we don't really need him, the Lions can have him. Thanks for the great years, but we got Stevie "Wonder" Jackson now :P

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Faulk needs to retire and keep his job with the NFL network. Let's face it, he wasn't setting the league on fire his last couple of years and I see no point of him trying to come back. We can have a nice little presentation for him at our first home game and retire his number but I just don't see the logic in him trying to come back.

RamWraith is offline Registered User

It is funny how the tide has turned now that Jackson is becoming a stud. So much for loyalty from the Rams or its fans.*LOL*.

A year ago it was the same situation but geared towards how much Marshall was need. Now its screw him, we got Jackson.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Marshall said this in a SI interview back in September:

SI: You're sitting out this season with a knee injury. Do you expect to play next season?

Faulk: If I can get myself healthy, without a doubt.

SI: If you're unable to return from this knee injury, how difficult will that be to accept?

Faulk: If my last game was the game last January against the Cowboys in Texas Stadium, then so be it. I don't look back and reflect. I played more downs than most men will ever get to play.

SI: Is there any other team you would play for outside of the Rams?

Faulk: No. If there was not a role for me on that team, that would be it for my NFL career.

And then there's this:

During an NBC Sunday Night Football halftime show, Faulk was asked by one of the announcers, "So are you retired or not?" Faulk said that he was still a Ram, and would be a Ram for the rest of his life. He then said that if the Rams would have him back, he would play next year, as he is now able to run full speed on his re-built knees.

And now this:

Dec. 17, 2006 - 9:40 a.m. ET

Marshall Faulk (injured reserve, knee surgeries) plans to force the Rams into releasing his rights after the season.

He won't need to do much forcing. St. Louis is ready to let Faulk go and get his future cap numbers off the books. Detroit is the most obvious destination for Faulk to land, but Buffalo with offensive coordinator Steve Fairchild is another possible landing spot. Faulk could be the third-down back to Willis McGahee if the Bills have had enough of Anthony Thomas.

Source: FOXSports.com

The rumors are flying, so who knows what the real story is. I've got to believe like the Favre situation with GB, if Marshall want's to play for the Rams, they'll let him. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Do you think that we could trade Faulk? I wouldn't be surprised if Martz would want him to back up Kevin Jones. If we could get even a fifth for him that would be great.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mcpeepants232003 View Post
    Do you think that we could trade Faulk? I wouldn't be surprised if Martz would want him to back up Kevin Jones. If we could get even a fifth for him that would be great.
    Get a trade...Faulk to Lions, Mike Furrey back to the rams

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

maineram is offline Registered User

What if, what if, what if !!! Marshall knows he's still under contract with the Rams and I don't believe he'll screw em over. The Rams paid him last year at a reduced negotiated rate, but a rate that was fare and thanked him for his service over the glory years with the team.
    I would love to see him come back next year for a couple of reasons;

1. I don't think he would be a distraction to the team or Jackson. After last years performance by Jackson both him and Marshall know the future of this team. Marshall wouldn't come back to be a, " Mentor", to Jackson and wouldn't need to be.

2. The Rams have to decide on resigning Davis. I like Davis, what he brings to the table as far as his running to spell Jackson, and his form of mentoring, that was alleged to be very helpful for Jackson to learn how a BIG BACK, goes about business in the NFL. Something that Marshall could never teach him because he's not that kind of a back. So who would have more upside next year to spell Jackson, a Davis type or a Marshall type ??

3. What's up with Fisher ??? He was brought in to be that change of pace back to compliment a big back like Jackson. I believe he needs to be resigned for next year also, but his injury may prevent him from being recovered enough to start the season at full strength.

4. If Marshall is physically ready to come back and be a productive back in the NFL, why wouldn't the Rams want to bring him back with open arms ?? Davis is unsigned and Fisher is unsigned recovering from injury. Marshall has been sitting out a year, recovering from injury and may want to play for his last hurrah before retiring for good. He'd have nothing to prove, with no pressure to be, THE MAN, just a veteran player finishing out his career. Fisher on his best day could never be the change of pace back that Marshall can be if healthy. Plus, HE'S ALREADY UNER CONTRACT.

Why would Linehan look for someone to bring in, resign, when Marshall is already drawing a salary, is healhy, and wants to play ?? He won't be the every down guy, he can be moved where ever in the offense, and the need to resign Curtis and or McDonald would be deminished with Marshall being able to line up in the slot whenever Linehan wanted to put three wideouts on the field that wasn't a tight end. Davis can't do that and neither can Fisher.

Finding out what Linehan wants in a young back will be done through the draft this year or with what he already has on the roster.

Bring Marshall back and watch Linehans offense really explode next season in my opinion. Who wouldn't want, if healthy, a quality/veteran guy on the team !!

Would he help or hurt the chances to become a superbowl caliber team ??? I think he'd help propell this team to that level.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

BigDaddyPace is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameMN View Post
    Faulk needs to retire and keep his job with the NFL network. Let's face it, he wasn't setting the league on fire his last couple of years and I see no point of him trying to come back. We can have a nice little presentation for him at our first home game and retire his number but I just don't see the logic in him trying to come back.
    I agree. But Faulk needs to retire a Ram.

theodus69 is offline Registered User

I myself hope he retires a Ram. And he will always be my Favorite back , he's even w/Dickerson in my book. 2 different backs ,yet the best we have ever had.
    But the truth is........Jackson won't ever match either one. Any takers on that bet?
    But he is our man now!
    That is for damn sure!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

After last year I'm not sure that Jackson won't match either of them. Let's not forget Faulk was only great for 3or 4 years here. That is nothing to sneeze at but I think Jackson will outproduce him in his Rams career. Know if you consider Marshall as a Colt and Ram than it will be hard for Stephen to top.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Along with the comments and reports that RFRH posted above (#6), I remember distinctly -- though not exactly -- when, during a halftime show about three, four weeks ago, a smiling Marshall Faulk talked about preferring to play again with the Rams rather than keep working as a TV sports analyst. I was not able to record that casual but important statement.

I agree with Maineram (#9 above) and hope our No. 28 is healthy and returns to retire as a Ram this 2007 season. I'd love to see him play behind Davis and Jackson and an improved OL and better overall offense!

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

If he wanted to play for the Rams he shouldnt have distanced himself from the team, pretty much every other unjured player was watching teh Rams games, but Faulk was sitting in a studio working for NFL Network...

ramstiles is offline Registered User

how soon we forget

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast