AugustaRamFan Guest

What things have to fall in place for the...

Rams to be a Super Bowl contender? I did not say winner!! (that would be nice - however). But what has to happen?

IMHO.

1) Get all the draft picks signed and in camp before it starts (Hill and the TEs especially).

2) Run a successfull training camp (What does that mean??)
    Rams need to embrace the new systems (O&D)
    Rams need to learn to tackle again
    O-lineman need to re-learn to run block
    New TEs need to learn to block
    Rams need to build some serious team chemistry
    Rams need to get out of Camp with few serious injuries to key players

3) After escaping pre-season with no key injuries. Lineham also needs to establish a winning attitude during the pre-season. That does not mean a 4-0 record, but they need to demonstrate what they learned during camp as demonstated by their ability to tackle for example.

When the 1s go against the 1s, the starters need to win the individual battles. When the 2s and 3s are out there - there needs to be some enthusiasm and some urgency.

They may not be better than .500, but the seeds of a winning attitude will be planted during Camp and pre-season.

4) I would say the Rams need to win 10 or 11 games to ensure a wild card. Again, would I like to see them beat the seachicks for the Div? - Sure! But, I want to keep this thread real...

OK...

We need to beat Denver in Game 1..(a tough one)
    Beat *****s
    Beat AZ
    Beat Air Martz
    Beat Cheese Heads
    (START 5-0) ...has been sugested already....
    L to seachicks
    L to Bolts
    L to Vermeil's old crew (a tough game with Edwards at the helm)
    Beat seachicks
    L to Panthers (we'll beat them in the playoffs)
    Beat *****s again
    Beat up on Kurt again (if he is still healthy)
    Beat Lovie's boys
    Loss to the Raiders
    L to the Skins
    Beat the Viqueens

So 10 wins (might need 11...)

5) To win 10/11 Games here is what goes on behind the scenes...

Bulger stays healthy (we need him 13 for 16 at least)
    Ferrotte will have to win one 1 or 2 key games
    SJ needs to be the man with running Game
    Defense needs to be in the top 10 in the NFC
    At least two rookies need to step in to be starters
    Turnover ratio must be no worse than 1:1
    Need some luck...
    Oh... almost forgot...we need decent Special Teams
    A punter that does not lose games by himself
    KO and punt return teams need to be much better

6) Still further behind the scenes...

Leonard Little needs to get his head on straight and not have any distractions.
    Ingonito needs to be a positive force and less of a head case.
    Tye Hill has to be a starter by the 8th game because there will be injuries to the secondary.
    Early on Kennedy will be proven to be the "weak link" on the D-line and will be called out by Glover. By the 4th game, Kennedy will be the player many thought he could be - or he will be a bust officially.
    Lineham needs to keep a steady hand on the wheel.
    Haslett will have to be secure in his job as DC... and not split the players if the season starts out on the wrong foot.

7) There may have to be a surprise of two along the way..something no one is expecting or could have foreseen.

There....A whole lot of things need to happen for the Rams to be a contender and not a pretender. (But, as a fan I can hope and dream.)

What are the odds that all these things can happen? Well, that's why they play the games. I am not sure that things could parallel 1999-2000, but why not?

Quick - Someone blow the whistle!
    Last edited by AugustaRamFan; -07-26-2006 at 02:35 PM.

RamsFan4ever is offline Registered User

Re: What things have to fall in place for the...

I dont really think that we'll lose to the raiders.... Your asking for a lot to happen hopefully most of that will happen

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Here's my list:

1. Take advantage of Steven Jackson's abilities. He is a "downhill" runner, and needs to be used as one. He's not Marshall Faulk, but he can be a 1,400 yard runner.

2. Find a jewel for the interior O line. Not sure if its Terrell... hope its Incognito... but if the Rams can solidify the interior line, that will go a long way.

3. Get productivity out of at least one of the two rookie TEs. My bet is they will both have their moments.

4. Let Kennedy play to his strengths. I still believe he can be a very good DT if used correctly.

5. Adopt an aggressive attitude on defense.

eldfan is offline Registered User

I think for the rams to be successful most of it depends on the defense. Key guys staying healthy Little, Glover, Witherspoon, Chavous, and like AugustaRamfan said we need to learn to tackle. Im concern that we look a little undersize so Haslett need to have guys that is nasty and who love to hit people.
    :ramlogo:

AugustaRamFan Guest

for the Rams to be a winner - Win The Superbowl??

I posted this a long time ago, but wanted to revisit my pre-season needs!!

1) Get all the draft picks signed and in camp before it starts (Hill and the TEs especially). (WELL WE GOT THIS DONE - HILL was a little LATE, but HE got the REPS he NEEDED).

2) Run a successfull training camp (What does that mean??)

Rams need to embrace the new systems (O&D)
    (I THINK THIS HAPPENED)
    Rams need to learn to tackle again (I AM NOT AS HAPPY ABOUT THIS AS I COULD BE - TACKLING IS STILL SPOTTY)

O-lineman need to re-learn to run block
    (JURY STILL OUT ON THIS ONE)

New TEs need to learn to block
    (JURY STILL OUT ON THIS ONE TOO)

Rams need to build some serious team chemistry
    (I LIKE WHAT HAS HAPPENED SO FAR - THE OLD TEAM ATTITUDE HAS BEEN CHANGED)

Rams need to get out of Camp with few serious injuries to key players
    (THEY DID THAT)

3) After escaping pre-season with no key injuries. Lineham also needs to establish a winning attitude during the pre-season. That does not mean a 4-0 record, but they need to demonstrate what they learned during camp as demonstated by their ability to tackle for example.
    (I WAS HOPING FOR 2-2, BUT THINGS APPEARED TO GO DOWNHILL AFTER THE COLTS GAME - I AM NOT SURE THEY KNOW HOW TO WIN YET)

When the 1s go against the 1s, the starters need to win the individual battles. When the 2s and 3s are out there - there needs to be some enthusiasm and some urgency.
    (I THOUGHT THE 1s DID FINE - WHEN THEY WERE IN. THE 2s and 3s did NOT PLAY WITH THE INTENSITY I HAD HOPED TO SEE/HEAR ABOUT).

They may not be better than .500, but the seeds of a winning attitude will be planted during Camp and pre-season. (JURY STILL OUT)

BASED ON THE INITIAL NEEDS, I WOULD GIVE THE RAMs a B-/C+ for PRE-SEASON. OK - BUT NOT GREAT!

BRING IT ON!!!!!!

TNRamFan23 is offline Registered User

having a new coach will hurt a little but it can't be worse than last years situation.

Maybe we'll ride Jackson alot more and take it to the NFC West by pounding the hell out of them.

ramsbruce is offline Registered User

I've seen a couple of people predict that we will lose to the Raiders, barring injury, that I just don't see happening.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramsbruce
    Tre was running great against an awful NYG run defense. 5.8 YPC yet he only gets 13 carries. I can't wait until the Rams abandon you, Schotty.

Drew4EverRams Guest

another year of the new system,good FA and draft and then we`ll be a contender,i can see us making the playoffs this year but dont see us getting too deep into them!

Drew4EverRams Guest

p.s only thing the raiders are gonna "win" this year is next years first draft pick!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

What has to "fall into place" for the Rams is pretty much the same for every team.

#1: they gotta stay healthy.
    #2: each player has to play to their potential.
    #3: bounces have to go your way.

Now, having said that, all teams are not equal. Many teams have no chance of getting to the Superbowl 'cuz there ain't enough stars in the sky to align correctly to help them out, if you know what I mean. As an example, the Raiders can stay healthy, play to their potential, and get some favorable bounces, and they still won't be a winning team. They suck. ...and there is NO WHAY IN H*LL that they can beat a healthy Rams team. With Aaron Brooks at QB? With Art Shell as HC? Excuse me, didn't they do the Art Shell thing before? How'd that work out? Please. Rams beat them by two TD's..