Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: what is the typical recovery period for a torn acl?

bruce4life is online now Registered User

Re: what is the typical recovery period for a torn acl?

I predict a Matt Lienart signing in the near future.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    Needless to say the Rams have some decisions to make. I say they bring Vince Young in. He gives us the best chance to make the post season. definetely throws a wrench in Seatle's game plan
    You think Vince could come in and learn the offense well enough to play against a defense like Seattle's in under a week?

RealRam is offline Registered User

What is the typical recovery period for a torn ACL?

For more on ACL injuries and recovery periods, including a couple of medical articles and images, see post #15 of the 'Rams have signed Austin Davis to active roster. Brady Quinn has agreed to terms' thread by SavageRam.

RAM29JACKSON is offline Registered User

RGs was worse,right ? and he came back in year

MACD is offline Registered User

with today's technology and Sam's aptitude for coming back from a serious injury with no debilitating consequences, I'm fairly confident he'll be good to go in 2014. What interests me is the experience of some recent athletes who feel their knee is stronger post-surgery than it was in its natural state.

His predecessor at OU, Jason White, fought through TWO acl's to win the Heisman in a stellar passing offense.

I also suspect he'll be able to be throwing well before being cleared to play, thus eliminating some of the 'rust' factor.
    RealRam likes this.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

From what I read, it depends on the severity of the injury which includes the number of ligaments torn and the damage around the knee including cartilage. Bradford supposedly had 1 ligament and no other real damage so they estimate 6-8 months to be playing on the field. Psychologically it could take far longer. Derrick Rose's issue was that he wasn't psychologically ready to play which IMO is a real factor.

IMO, he'll be on the field when camp opens with a brace like RG3 wears right now, he might miss a preseason game or two but he'll be on the field week 1 in 2014.

Mizzou Tiger Henry Josey's injury was considered a 1 in a million injury with all 4 ligaments damaged. It required 3 surgeries to get it all fixed and he was running and cutting at 12 months. At 16 months he was on the field for mini camp.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -10-23-2013 at 11:15 AM.
    jmk321 likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MACD View Post
    With today's technology and Sam's aptitude for coming back from a serious injury with no debilitating consequences, I'm fairly confident he'll be good to go in 2014. What interests me is the experience of some recent athletes who feel their knee is stronger post-surgery than it was in its natural state.

His predecessor at OU, Jason White, fought through TWO ACL's to win the Heisman in a stellar passing offense.

I also suspect he'll be able to be throwing well before being cleared to play, thus eliminating some of the 'rust' factor.
    Totally agree.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
    From what I read, it depends on the severity of the injury which includes the number of ligaments torn and the damage around the knee including cartilage. Bradford supposedly had 1 ligament and no other real damage so they estimate 6-8 months to be playing on the field. Psychologically it could take far longer. Derrick Rose's issue was that he wasn't psychologically ready to play which IMO is a real factor.

IMO, he'll be on the field when camp opens with a brace like RG3 wears right now, he might miss a preseason game or two but he'll be on the field week 1 in 2014.

Mizzou Tiger Henry Josey's injury was considered a 1 in a million injury with all 4 ligaments damaged. It required 3 surgeries to get it all fixed and he was running and cutting at 12 months. At 16 months he was on the field for mini camp.
    We saw that with Brady in 2009 too. Rose also had various set backs that caused his recovery to take longer. The unpredictable factors like that are the ones that scare me the most. Sam having 3 pretty big injuries in a 5 year span is also concerning.

Modern medical technology, hard work and the occasional help of PED's make ACL injuries a lot easier to come back from now, so the 6-8 month timeline seems accurate as long as Sam doesn't do anything stupid like go bowling when his knee is still weak. Also, did anyone else spend a stupid amount of time putting off actual responsibilities this week in order to read about ACL injuries?

MACD is offline Registered User

Maybe someone should run over to Sam's house and move that ping pong table somewhere else.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12