Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    macrammer is offline Registered User

What is the upside to our 2010 record with a "number 1" receiver??

Seriously,. what is the upside? do we sldege through the season and show the type of marked improvement that I think we will (win 4-6 games) and then draft or acquire a named receiver or do we sign a "self proclaimed top echelon receiver for this year?? If we did trade a draft position or two, how many more wins would we get? Would it make a difference in a team that is sooooo lacking on overall talent? I say no, let's keep it the way it is and see what happens. Noting will likely happen this year either way except dogged improvement (currently underway) all around but far short of any playoff berth.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Re: What is the upside to our 2010 record with a "number 1" receiver??

I don't know Vincent Jackson at all as a person and I'm not saying he is a TO type but his current actions have me putting him in the "I want mine" list.

Not sure a team in the 2nd year of a rebuild with a rookie qb needs someone on that list.

If we get him I won't complain but I honestly think we are better off going with what we got.

Just my opinion.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

I want to get a true #1 because I think it will comfort Sam a lot, and also I want to get back to winning ways.

If we don't go after anyone I dont mind because Sam clearly showed he can spread the ball around evenly anyways.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I dont care how talented vincent jackson is, the guy has a history of DUI's and is suspended by the league for the start of the season. He has also missed all of training camp which in my view makes his physical condition highly suspect, i dont care how much he has been working out. If you throw in the fact that he doesnt know the playbook at all, i dont see how he is going to move the needle all that much this year for us. Would i like to have him? Sure, if the price was right, but i doubt that the price will be right.

I dont think with all the baggage jackson qualifies as a true #1 receiver in the context that the question is being posed. He also isnt going to help bradford much until they work together quite a bit and develop some timing and that will not happen overnight either. If we did acquire Jackson, i could see it having a real positive impact next season, assuming he doesnt get into more trouble off the field.

Wide receiver is likely to be a major priority in the offseason, free agent and draft wise. However, i dont think its realistic to expect there to be any available magic bullets out there to make the rams a truly competitive team this year. Improve us, maybe, but make us a .500 or better team, pretty unlikely in my view.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    I dont care how talented vincent jackson is, the guy has a history of DUI's and is suspended by the league for the start of the season. He has also missed all of training camp which in my view makes his physical condition highly suspect, i dont care how much he has been working out. If you throw in the fact that he doesnt know the playbook at all, i dont see how he is going to move the needle all that much this year for us. Would i like to have him? Sure, if the price was right, but i doubt that the price will be right.

I dont think with all the baggage jackson qualifies as a true #1 receiver in the context that the question is being posed. He also isnt going to help bradford much until they work together quite a bit and develop some timing and that will not happen overnight either. If we did acquire Jackson, i could see it having a real positive impact next season, assuming he doesnt get into more trouble off the field.

Wide receiver is likely to be a major priority in the offseason, free agent and draft wise. However, i dont think its realistic to expect there to be any available magic bullets out there to make the rams a truly competitive team this year. Improve us, maybe, but make us a .500 or better team, pretty unlikely in my view.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Great point! I think we should just wait until the draft because we will be able to grab a talented guy at a cheaper price because there is a lot of good WR's. It's a risk to go after VJAX and if we get him.... what does it do for us? None of us are really planning to go to the SB this year so..

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Great points from SOSA and General Counsel from an on-the-field perspective, but I also want to throw-in the business aspect. VJ is going to cost big money that we could spend elsewhere on a player who may be more of a contributor than an off-the-field distraction. Given our playoff and SB prospects for this year, we can make a better "buy" in next year's off-season. I'm still not ruling out a Kurt Warner situation at WR similar to 1999. Someone may yet emerge. Truth be told even with Donnie Avery healthy we would be having this discussion.

Go Rams!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

With an offensive line that hasn't completely jelled yet...new QB....few other strong options for 2nd WR...unknown varibles at TE, getting an elite WR doesn't seem like the best choice. Right now a good 2nd RB would fit into the Rams offense better then WR. Even a good FB would be better.

Right now the Rams offense needs a diversity of weapons. Its bad enough other teams' defense are first considering S. Jachson before considering other Rams possitions as a threat. The important thing is for Bradford to have a wide range targets to throw the ball too then to focus first on one target. Shuffling the ball around will keep other team defenses honest, and open the game up for S. Jackson.

On the need list, a realiable TE, or FB/RB are first requirements, till the Rams have a consistant line.

Still what I have thus far seen is improvement on defense and that ought to keep the Rams in games

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    With an offensive line that hasn't completely jelled yet...new QB....few other strong options for 2nd WR...unknown varibles at TE, getting an elite WR doesn't seem like the best choice...
    I'm in agreement here. our O-line has been inconsistant at best. Not to mention our lack of depth on both lines. If Bradford (or any other Rams QB) is constantly running for their lives, or being sacked/hurried on a regular basis, we won't have much of an opportunity to use Jackson to stretch the field.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I'm in agreement here. our O-line has been inconsistant at best. Not to mention our lack of depth on both lines. If Bradford (or any other Rams QB) is constantly running for their lives, or being sacked/hurried on a regular basis, we won't have much of an opportunity to use Jackson to stretch the field.
    ah but if we had better receivers we would be able to stretch the field. VJax has the ability to get open on broken plays and i think thats key for a rookie QB who'll probably be running for his life this year.

To me, it just really does not make any sense this late in the game to waste money on someone that really will not help us much this year. There are a few needs here, most notable RB to spell SJ39. I think it would make good sense to go after an elite receiver next off season through FA and or draft.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

I have to disagree with you guys on this topic, I think it is in the Vincent Jackson poll thread where I address his DUI's, money, suspension, and draft pick value, so I will just focus on the impact of a number 1 receiver here.

As it is right now, defenses show ZERO respect to our passing game. This means they can leave single defenders on our wideouts, and load the box to shut down our Pro Bowler and light up our 50 million dollar man. Let's add Vincent Jackson to the equation, now they need to keep a safety over the top, and that is one less blitzer and run supporter. This alone helps our o line out.

Lets look at how he would effect the other wide receivers. As it stands at this moment, Danny Amendola is our 2nd wide receiver and flanker. I love Danny boy, but he is the perfect slot player, and I just don't see him having as great of an impact outside as he could in the slot. V Jax would also slide coverage away from LR and Gibby, giving those two some big play opportunities.

Finally we get to The Man, The Samchise, Mr. Bradford. We HAVE to give him weapons. Peyton had Marvin Harrison, and has Reggie Wayne, Brady has Moss, Warner had Bruce, Holt, Boldin, and Fitz, and the list goes on. This guy is not Jesus Christ, he needs some help. Who is going to be that go to guy when it is third down and we need to move the chains? Oh oh? Ammendola? LR? I'm just not buying it guys. Give the kid some help, or we will have a David Carr situation on our hands.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams should check it out, but not enter the situation from a position of desperation. If Jackson would be willing to sign a reasonable contract, then we should definately consider it. It won't be a cheap contract in any case, but as long as we are not overpaying. If we can get a known quantity in the form of Vincent Jackson, I believe that would be very superior to a draft pick next year.

If we go the draft route, we could be dealing with another multi-year project like Donnie Avery that never pans out. Jackson would not simply be a patch for this year, he will be our #1 for probably a few years. I would rather enter the draft looking for someone to complement what we already have.

C-Mob,

you make some good points but what guess would you venture in terms of wins for the Rams with a top notch reciever vs doing nothing and going with what we have?

I do not see any marked difference. I think it is 5-6 wins tops this year with or without a "true" wideout. Do we want to spend the money now or wait until we can really get a playmaker?

And remember, last year we only had Jackson. This year we have Bradford and Jackson.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    C-Mob,

you make some good points but what guess would you venture in terms of wins for the Rams with a top notch reciever vs doing nothing and going with what we have?
    I think therein lies the significant difference between me and most sane people

I seriously see us contending with the ***** in the West if we add Vincent Jackson or any other true play maker at WR to our team. So 9-7 to answer your question.

And if we sit pat, we should draft A.J. Green next year, because we will be drafting in the top 5, ie around 4-12.

Call me a crazy, PollyAnna, milk half full, rose colored glasses, homer if you will, but I'm keeping the faith and refusing to wait another three years before my Rams show some competitiveness.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Honestly? In a WC offense? Stretching the field by having an all-world burner at WR isn't all that important, is it?

I think it's more important that Bradford has a "go-to" guy that he has faith in. A guy that can get open, make the tough catches and has enough speed to get a first down.

I think he already has that guy.

Amendola.

So far, in times of need (third down) Bradford has thrown to Amendola when he's on the field. ...at least that's what I've noticed. A "#1" is really what? The "best" receiver? ...or the "best-guy-to-go-to-when-I-need-it" receiver?

Having a guy like Vincent Jackson or another better know "#1" guy isn't going to make a hill-of-beans difference this year. Bradford will be throwing to Amendola, Robinson, Jackson and his TE's for most of the year as he learns to become a NFL QB. Having Jerry Rice at WR wouldn't change things this year. I don't want to see Bradford take 5-7 step drops (ala M. Martz) and wait for his speed guy to get open this year. He'll get killed. Three step quick slants and dump off's are about all you'll see this year in this offense. There may be an occasional deep throw to keep the d honest, but really, it'll be dink and dunk all year.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast