sosa39rams is offline Registered User

What will get the Rams in the playoffs in 2011?

I believe they will make the playoffs but that may seem biased coming from a Rams fan. We have improved all over the place and will have several new starters when the season starts. Lets get to the topics of conversation.

The Rams must be able to run the ball effectively. Last year was not impressive. It was because of the lack of push the offensive line got at times. The addition of Harvey Dahl will help tremendously, especially because he is replacing Adam Goldberg. They failed to convert on 3rd and 1's and 4th and 1's several times which is unacceptable. The scheme McDaniels runs has tons of play action, and why run play actions if your running game is ineffective? I feel with the way the offense will attack down the field this year will definently open up some holes with Jackson, let alone with his improved already solid offensive line.

The Rams defensive line has to continue to impress and apply pressure. Last year defensive end Chris Long had a breakout season and was running wild. He had the most quarterback pressures in the whole NFL. He has 8.5 sacks as well. James Hall chipped in with 11.5 sacks of his own, and Fred Robbins adding 6.0 to that. The Rams were tied for 7th in the NFL for sacks last season. The defense amassed 43 sacks last year improving from 25 the year before. They need to continue to improve and help the secondary out. The two new defensive tackles Justin Bannan and Daniel Muir are solid run stoppers which we needed. On 3rd downs we can slide James Hall in at DT and throw Robert Quinn out at RE. That would be scary for opposing quarterbacks.

The Rams must be able to attack the defense in different ways. We will have to be able to spread defenses and with Donnie Avery coming back, that can be achieved. Josh McDaniels will draw up things to get this offense rolling. We will attack deep this year. Last year we had a very vanilla offense. We rarely seen plays go for more than 6 yards. Forget about all of that. Josh McDaniels is ready to run the rock, and attack deep off of the play action. Look for Lance Kendricks to be lined up all over the place. He is going to have a big year creating mismatches all over the field. Cadillac Williams and Jerious Norwood will also get their mismatches. Look for very interesting and different situations. The Rams offense is ready for big things.

The defense needs to continue to create turnovers so Sam Bradford can capitalize. The secondary is heavily underrated. Mikell and Dahl are going to be crazy in run support. Mikell is great in coverage, not so much Dahl. Bartell and Fletcher continue to go up man on man and play physical. Both of the corners are good in coverage and both have good size. We have guys all over the field who are good in run support, especially our secondary. The linebackers need to improve, hopefully Diggs will come back and play good again, and Diles will put up some great plays. With the great defensive mind of Spags we are ready to create diverse situations, and hopefully only have to rush 4 every play.

These are the keys to the Rams having a very successful season and to watch some Rams football in January.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Re: What will get the Rams in the playoffs in 2011?

I would expect darrell scott to make a push for starter because he was with the number 1 squad yesterday. I think we will also see a lot of the same plays called last year until maybe the middle of the season. They just arent that familiar with them yet. And look 4 al harris to make a push for the first or second corner spot. He was running like a madman yesterday but in a good way. He was wearing the receivers jersey more than his own.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

U hit on the 2 most important reason that will push the Rams into the playoffs:

1. Josh McDaniels Playbook
    2. D-line

Offensively its not how well our running game does it is how well our offense can grasp McD playbook. McDaniels has proved his playbook is extremely effective it is up to our offense to execute it correctly. the earlier our offense become comfortable with it the earlier we start controlling games.

behind our D-line we have an average defense. Our D-line has all the ability and potential to be elite (i mean top 3 in sacks). As long as our D-line starts controlling the opposing offensive line our defense is a playoff quality D.

thoey is offline Registered User

I am pretty sure that winning 16 games in a row would pretty much guarantee us a playoff spot.

Can't wait to get started...
    This space for rent...

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post
    I am pretty sure that winning 16 games in a row would pretty much guarantee us a playoff spot.

Ahahaha...You win the Captain Obvious award for today!!

thoey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMarkable View Post
    Ahahaha...You win the Captain Obvious award for today!!
    There are so many people I have to thank for this award...

This space for rent...

general counsel is offline Registered User

Success (ie TD conversions) in the red zone (relative to last year) and good health will be two critical variables in determining the Rams performance this year. It goes without saying that turnover differential will also be important, as it is for any team.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thoey View Post

I think 8 wins will get us in.

The West might improve, but I don't think anobody in this division will have a winning record unless it's the Rams. 9 wins tops for the Rams.

But to get there, they'll need to spread out the defense (as everyone has stated) which will open up the running lanes for our RB's. To do that, Bradford and company will need to take more chances downfield. ...which means, he'll get hit a little more, which means he'll be subject to a higher risk of injury. If Bradford goes down...... Feely will be a big step backward and no playoffs.

My concern is the schedule...

With an absolutely brutal start to the season, it will be a real test to this team to stay the course. It wouldn't surprise me to see them opening up with a 2-6 record, or worse. If so, can Spags keep them focused for a late season run? I can see them going 6-2, or 7-1 in the final 8 games which will probably be enough to win the division. If by some miracle they win 3 or 4 of the first 8, they'll be in great shape for the second half.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

robot is offline Registered User

I can see them winning against Giants, Redskins and Cowboys in the first half of the season. The rest, hopefully luck will come into play.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

As AV said in a previous thread, survive the first half, then thrive the next half. If we can come off with 3-4 wins in the first half of the season, that will be because our defense is keeping our heads above the water while our offense progresses as a unit in this system. The likelihood of our defense playing well will seem possible because no more should we be running Shurmur's offense of a predictable run, run, pass, punt while our defense gets tired.