View Poll Results: Most intriguing camp battle (other than QB)?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nos. 2/3 RB

3 4.84%
  • Interior O line

8 12.90%
  • Wide Receiver

43 69.35%
  • Cornerback

4 6.45%
  • Some other position (TE, DE, OLB)?

4 6.45%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

What will be the most intriguing camp battle (other than QB)?

I think we can all agree that, come training camp, most eyes will be on the QB position, as the sports world tries to read between the lines and predict whether Sam Bradford will be the opening day starter.

Apart from that, which will be the most intriguing camp battle?

Nos. 2/3 RB
    Its a pretty good bet that the Rams will sign a veteran but, given the level of players out there, whoever is signed will still have to hold off the current group of RBs as 4 to 5 players compete for two spots behind Jackson.

Wide Receiver
    Certainly, Donnie Avery and Laurent Robinson start will have the inside track for the starting spots, but I wouldn't say that is etched in stone. Beyond those two, who will round out the roster and in what order will they come off the bench. There are many candidates: Mardy Gilyard, Brandon Gibon, Danny Amendola, Keenan Burton and Brooks Foster are the top 5 who will be competing for the remaining spots.

Interior O Line
    Jason Brown is a lock at center, and Jacob Bell is a near-lock at one of the OG spots. After that, there should be some intense competition between Adam Goldberg, Hank Fraley, Mark Setterstrom and John Greco. Who will be the odd man out?

Cornerback
    Ron Bartell will start at one spot. The Rams hope Brad Fletcher will be healthy enough to grab the other, but if he's not, there's a group of players behind him who will fight for that spot, along with the nickel and dime roles, including Justin King, Jerome Murphy, Kevin Dockery, Quincy Butler and Marquis Johnson.

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Re: What will be the most intriguing camp battle (other than QB)?

I'm most looking forward to the WR competition. I know there's a lot of love and patience for Avery out there, but I'm almost looking for an upset and watching to see if our top two receivers end up being Gibson and Robinson with Avery in the slot. I think there are a few different alignments that would look really good for this group as well as a lot of intriguing prospects so it'll be really interesting to see who the coaches think are ready.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

I'm going to like to watch how our WR corps unfolds.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I'd have to say Wide Receiver first. Cornerback and Tight End or behind that. All in all however, I'm intrigued b every position on the field and who makes the roster.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Also had to go with wide receiver, where I wouldn't be surprised at this point when ANY combination makes the starting lineup. I hope someone can emerge from the pack as a number one for us this year.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I went with interior O-line. About once a year for the last 25, my lower back goes out. A disk slips a little & pinches a nerve ( yes, I literally feel SJ's pain), sending the weirdest & most unpleasant sensations to the rest of my body; numbness, shooting pains like liquid fire suddenly pouring the back of my legs, and , after a few days, just a general stiffness through my lower torso. And while my friends,students, and colleagues are sympathetic, it isn't something they remain aware of all the time. There is no blood, no dramatic bandage, no crutches, just a middle-aged guy moving gingerly with a look of grumpy concentration on his face.

That's what I think will happen to the Rams offense if there continues to be a weakness in the interior line. It will function more or less & maybe even look good here and there but it severely limits what the other parts of the team body can accomplish over a season at all the other spots like WR and RB, not to mention QB and OT, which, in turn, puts even more pressure on the D.

If Greco doesn't win the spot early, we'd better hope Fraley has enough in the tank.To me, Goldberg and Sett are like the mentholated gunk I rub on my back; short term relief of symptoms, not a cure. If not, The Rams will gimp their way through another season.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I put Wide Receiver because we have the most depth at that position, and it will be interesting to see who steps up and makes a difference.

Here's my ranking for most intriguing to least intriguing.

Wide Receiver
    (Mentioned above)

Nos. 2/3 RB

I feel that we have some prospective players in this corps, like Ogbonaya and Tolston, and maybe the arrival of Brian Westbrook. I don't see Kenneth Darby being the long-term back-up for Jackson.

Interior O Line

Pretty interesting battle also. Jason Smith, Jason Brown, and Rodger Saffold are basically locks to be at their respective positions. Jacob Bell as you mentioned is most likely also a sure lock.

Then we have Goldberg, Greco, Fraley, and Setterstrom.

Out of these 4, I feel that Setterstrom will be the first to lose the starting battle.

He just isn't durable enough to be a starter, and with a rookie quarterback under center, we need our line to maintain the same starters throughout the year to form chemistry.

Next to lose after Setterstrom would be Goldberg IMO. Although he is an invaluable back-up, he's not a long-term starter either. He's a lengthy guy at around 6'7, but he isn't really much of a mauler, and he is only average when it comes to pass blocking.

Then we have the battle of the top 2, Greco and Fraley. Greco is the bigger player with more strength, but Fraley edges him in the experience department, and he knows the game better.

Fraley is a pretty decent guard, and can manage being a full time starter. But I don't know if he should be. He doesn't have the size to create much of a push in our power running game, while Greco does.

Fraley = experienced technical tactician ||| Greco = More youthful mauler

It will be interesting to see who ends up starting.

Cornerback

I don't think there will be much of a battle here. My opinion here is that Bartell and Fletcher are the two starters, with Jerome Murphy manning the slot. Then we have either Marquis Johnson or Justin King playing the dime corner.

This gives us the most physical corners on the field, and with a trio of Bartell, Fletcher, and Murphy, we would have a big, strong, aggressive, physical group of corners who are able to press and jam opposing receivers.

Marquis Johnson is also a physical corner, and he has the size to be an effective press man. Justin King on the other hand, reminds me of a more upside version of Tye Hill. A small, fast, shifty player who gets pushed around by bigger receivers.

chancelandusa is offline Registered User

I went with WR looks as if 5-6 are all pretty much at the #2 spot
    lots of potential but nobody really stepped up last season, or really had a full season to do so due to all the injuries looking forward to seeing
    who wants it the most GO RAMS 2010

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Interior OL. I'd like to think Jon Greco can take over at RG and (more importantly) stay there. If we can get some sort of consistency, we might be able to return the same five starters along the OL in 2011 and beyond.

What's great about the OL battle is that we finally have some sort of cohesive idea about who is going to play at LT, LG, C and RT. What's more, each and every one of those players look to be fixtures in the Horns for at least the next three of four years. If we can add the right player to the mix at RG, then we could see ourselves with a holdover OL for Bradford in 2011. There's no saying when Sam will start, but we can all agree it will be 2011 at the latest. If we can have five incumbent starters along the OL when that time comes, it's going to make Sam's transition that much easier.

My secondary area of concern is Wide Receiver. It's not #1 on my list because I think that in all likelihood, we'll be targeting a big name WR in the draft or in free agency next year. It seems to me like we have six guys of similar skill levels battling to see who can be the best #2, #3 and #4 for next season and for this reason, it feels like a developmental year. Right now, I'd have to say that I'll be happy with any combination of Avery, Robinson, Gilyard and Gibson as 4 of our starting 5 next year. It doesn't concern me who is doing what, as long as they all show they're capable of contributing when our #1 arrives next season.
    Last edited by Bar-bq; -05-27-2010 at 08:12 PM.

BEER is offline Registered User

We dont have any real 2/3 running backs. So I voted OL. We will have basicly two rooks at left and right tackle. In the middle there are to many players that have no clue where they will end up at.

SanDog is offline Registered User

I'd say TE because I don't think any of them have an advantage, and there aren't a lot of spots.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Definitely wide receiver. The whole order from top to bottom could be in flux.

I almost feel like the no. 2 runningback competition doesn't really matter. Our backups are serviceable, but it would be a real surprise if any of them emerged as the next Michael Turner or Shonn Greene. I just don't see that it's going to make a ton of difference in the grand scheme of things whether Darby, Ogbonnaya, or whomever else is named the primary back-up on the first day of the season.

The offensive line is somewhat interesting because of the number of viable permutations, and it's not even limited to the interior of the line. Potentially, Saffold could wind up at guard for a season with Goldberg or Greco at right tackle. In my opinion, Smith and Brown are the only two names we can count on definitely being in the starting lineup on opening day.

I'm not sure I even want to think about the cornerback depth. Fletcher showed promise last season, but it's a little scary to think that he's probably a lock to start. I'd be a little more excited about this competition if we had more players who could actually be considered qualified for the roles they would be competing for.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

RG is verry interesting with 4 guys who could start Goldberg, Fraley, Grecco, Setterstrom. You have gotta hope the young guy Grecco prevails finally shows up solidifying our line for the future.

WR there could be a million different combination's so that will be very interesting. In the end I think Robinson and Avery start which isn't a lock and then the rest is up for grabs between Gibson, Amendola, Gillyard, and Foster.

My vote ultimately was given to the TE position. In other positions we have a little clue who will start or there is a guy who has a leg up on the competition. Uh-oh from early reviews has had pretty good hands that comes along with his pedigree as a blocker. Bajema is a good blocker and has starting experience. Fells has been injured he is the projected starter and he has shown glimpses of being good in the passing game. The wild card Onobun has all the potential athleticism, but he is raw as heck he probably wouldnt be able to start right now, but who knows. Spags knows Darcy Johnson and he has good size don't know much about him though. In all anything could happen, but I will go out on a limb and say Uh-Oh starts

J Way Guest

WR For sure... I can't wait to see how Mardy Gilyard does during the Pre Season. I think he will be the #3 at the start of the season

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I don't know how intriguing of a battle the QB spot will be, since you know who is ultimately going to emerge as the winner. Just don't know when.

Back-up running back could be interesting, but I think the battle is hurt because the winner, at least in the long term, is probably going to come from somewhere else. If the Rams don't find a back-up RB this summer as a free agent, they'll probably try to acquire one next year.

I think wide receiver is going to be the best battle out of the ones mentioned because it's essentially wide open. There isn't one guy who stands above the rest; Avery, Robinson, and Gibson could all potentially emerge as the top target. How they fill out behind the #1 guy will be intriguing.

Offensive line is another area that I think will be interesting, though I'd put it slightly behind the receiver spot because we're probably only talking about two actual battles out of five positions. LT Smith, LG Bell, and C Brown are probably pretty secure. The battle will be at right guard, and maybe at right tackle until Saffold is ready to take it.

Cornerback doesn't intrigue me as much, because I think the Rams have their top guy in Bartell and probably have their other starter in Fletcher unless he doesn't look well coming back from injury (ie. The Tye Hill approach). Then I'm more worried about the battle than intrigued.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast