View Poll Results: What would you give up for Lance Briggs (if anything)?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's a stud! I'd give up the franchise compensation of 2 first round picks!

1 2.44%
  • I'd give up our first round pick this year.

8 19.51%
  • I'd give up a future first round pick, but nothing in this draft.

9 21.95%
  • I'd only take him if the Bears would take a second round pick or less.

20 48.78%
  • Don't want him. He'd cost too much in a trade and a contract.

3 7.32%
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

What would you give up for Lance Briggs (if anything)?

Hey, its as good a hypothetical as any at this point...

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: What would you give up for Lance Briggs (if anything)?

I'd give up a 2nd, assuming we have a long-term agreement ready to go when the Bears agree to the trade.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

I wouldn't give up a first. I believe he's a good player, but you have to wonder how much he benefited from the other players around him. He was playing behind a very good line and next to one of the better middle linebackers in the league. So it's hard to determine how much he individually contributed to the team's success. Also, I think we have greater needs at other positions on the defensive line. We'll need that first rounder for a DT or DE, especially if this year is indicative of what kind of free agents will be hitting the market in the next few years. It may take a few years for spending to catch up with the cap, which means draft value will be more important than ever.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I am frankly less concerned with the pick than i am with spending 20 million guaranteed dollars on another linebacker. I believe that we need an upgrade from chillar, but not at that cap cost. Its a need, but not our biggest need. If it was a front line defensive tackle or even defensive end, i would be a lot more interested because in that case, it would make a lot more sense cap wise.

If we dont get a better pass rush we are going to have major problems on defense and briggs isnt going to do a thing to help with that issue.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I think we would be a perfect fit for Briggs, he is fast he is tough and he is a competitior, all of this is just the buisness of the NFL he sounds like he's greedy but this is somthing that happens. I don't see him as a problem because he wants what we have to offer. I belive linehan has already said they will go draft but if we can get less than a 1st for him I would do it. If everyone says no what about Cato?? he would also fit into our scheme we'll.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

How about drew bennett?

maineram is offline Registered User

Getting Briggs would be nice but for the price I say no. Didn't we win a Superbowl with a serviceable strongside backer in Todd Collins ??? He wasn't anything to jump up and down about, but held his own on that side. If we were thinking of replacing Pisa, then I would say go for it. Pisa just signed a longterm deal and in my opinion are the same type of player. I say give Chillar another year to nail down that position. He was decent last year even with no one in front of him smashing heads. It seems the Rams are looking for him to make a move with the one year contract they offered, or they see him as a stop gap before bringing in a long term solution. Even if they would bring in Briggs. Pisa, Will, Lance taking on O-lineman because we have no beef up front would give us the same results as last year.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

RamOfDenmark is offline Registered User

I would tentatively give up a second rounder, but it would have to depend on his contract size, from what I'm hearing he wants too much, we would need to have a longterm deal, 5+ years, in place before I would pull the trigger on such a trade.

I think he's a pretty good player, but is he really the type of player that turns around a defense on his own? I don't think so, he was a supporting player in a defense with lots of great players, I don't think just adding him to our lineup would change that much, especially compared to what we'd have to give up. Chillar may not have made a lot of big plays last year, but he wasn't all that bad either, upgrading his position wouldn't do enough in the big picture I think. We need help up front, better play from the defensive tackles is the one move that would turn our defense drastically around I think. I would be willing to look at a trade for a top defensive tackle for our 1st rounder, but I'm not sure who we would target.

My biggest worry right now is that we probably don't get either one of the top two defensive tackles Branch and Okoye with our current draft position and I doubt a trade up will happen. Branch looks to me like the ideal player that we need, but I don't see any chance we get him.

majorram is offline Registered User

not interested!!!!, to much cap space would be used up, its going to take some money to get him signed up, main made a great point, we just need a serviceable LB, chillar will be fine, its up front that I'm most worried about!!!

steve:l
    "The breakfast Club"

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'd actually give up BBQ if it meant the Rams could get Briggs. He's that much of a motivator on the defensive side of the ball.